Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/22/2020 10:27:29 AM EDT
Former LEO here. I normally carry a Glock 43 or 19 depending on the weather. However I keep some kind of SBR in the truck with a 3 mags in a Ferro Slickster or Haley Micro. I was wondering if anyone here has experience carrying a pistol on a plate carrier? Doubt I'll ever need it but with all the crazies out there nowadays it would bring some piece of mind. I can throw on my PC fairly quickly, it  would be nice to be able to carry the pistol on the PC for shtf scenario.

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 10:39:54 AM EDT
[#1]
There's many options for molle mounted holsters you can mount horizontally on the front of your plate carrier. It's actually a very good method of carry in a vehicle.
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 12:12:44 PM EDT
[#2]
The haley has an accessory pistol holster that velcros right in.
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 12:37:20 PM EDT
[#3]
I emailed them at Haley and was advised that I would still need a holster to go inside the wedge to secure it. I will try it out and report back.
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 6:17:55 PM EDT
[#4]
I really dont like guns on armor. For me at least. I either want a slick carrier or rifle ammo on it.
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 6:21:54 PM EDT
[#5]
I really dont like guns on armor. For me at least. I either want a slick carrier or rifle ammo on it.
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 6:32:37 AM EDT
[#6]
Couldn’t you just carry it (unchambered) in a dump pouch or cheap snapping nylon holster? I feel like the likelihood of needing it is low. That means your EDC has gone dry and the rifle plus ammo you have are tits up. Seems like it would be tertiary at least at that point so a quick draw wouldn’t be overly essential.
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 11:53:21 PM EDT
[#7]
IME carrying a pistol on a PC or chest rig is only desirable if you're in a vehicle most of the time. If you're wanting a holster on your rig to carry a tertiary gun in case you 1) do not have your CCW on you and 2) end up in an active shooter scenario then sure, go for it. Realistically, a spare mag for your CCW pistol on the rig is a better option.

After all, I'd say the chances of anyone engaging an active shooter, from a vehicle, while not carrying, where you already have a rig on, is virtually 0%.
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 6:28:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Aren't you carrying a pistol already?  Wouldn't you just throw the armor on (affixed with rifle mags) and grab your rifle?

I'm confused.
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 7:00:05 PM EDT
[#9]
I've setup something like that before, except it was a home defense plate carrier.

Pistol (in a Safariland ALS + QLS fork + QLS plate + MLS fork into molle) on a plate carrier, along with a couple spare mags, car and house keys, IFAK, multitool, flashlight, and an expired drivers license...all the stuff you might want when dealing with a home invasion and the immediate aftermath...that is easy to have spares of.

The draw from any kind of chest setup is slow and clunky, but it would be either drawn without putting on the plate carrier (in a hurry), or I'd throw the carrier on and then draw immediately (while waiting for the threat to arrive).

ETA: Make sure you have that SBR secured. Gun thefts from cars are real, even unmarked cars.
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 7:18:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By -GuNuT-:
Aren't you carrying a pistol already?  Wouldn't you just throw the armor on (affixed with rifle mags) and grab your rifle?

I'm confused.
View Quote

I am retired LE. I carry most of the time but if I am in my vehicle I remove it. I just want the PC with a pistol so I can just throw that on as need. Highly unlikely that the need would ever arise, just gives me a piece of mind.
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 7:21:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Iram:
I've setup something like that before, except it was a home defense plate carrier.

Pistol (in a Safariland ALS + QLS fork + QLS plate + MLS fork into molle) on a plate carrier, along with a couple spare mags, car and house keys, IFAK, multitool, flashlight, and an expired drivers license...all the stuff you might want when dealing with a home invasion and the immediate aftermath...that is easy to have spares of.

The draw from any kind of chest setup is slow and clunky, but it would be either drawn without putting on the plate carrier (in a hurry), or I'd throw the carrier on and then draw immediately (while waiting for the threat to arrive).

ETA: Make sure you have that SBR secured. Gun thefts from cars are real, even unmarked cars.
View Quote

I have had my go bag with some hard to replace items be stolen from my unmarked before. So yes I definitely make sure its secure.
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 7:29:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By jbsilva:

I am retired LE. I carry most of the time but if I am in my vehicle I remove it.
View Quote

Why?
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 7:36:54 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm fat.
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 11:19:33 PM EDT
[#14]
So, as I understand it, if there's an active shooter nearby, you plan on donning armor and engaging?

You realize that with active shooting happening and you running around looking commando, most people (including police officers in ocean status) will think you're part of the problem and likely to engage you.

I get wanting to be prepared, but in some cases the prep might put you more at risk.
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 6:49:16 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Mainsail:
So, as I understand it, if there's an active shooter nearby, you plan on donning armor and engaging?

You realize that with active shooting happening and you running around looking commando, most people (including police officers in ocean status) will think you're part of the problem and likely to engage you.

I get wanting to be prepared, but in some cases the prep might put you more at risk.
View Quote

I realize that. The intent is not to don the armor and engage the threat. This is merely a worst case scenario. I have worked at the state and local level for the last 24 years. I understand the risk of doing so.

Thanks
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 7:07:10 AM EDT
[#16]
I ran a pistol on my kit down range (M9/Blackhawk Serpa), I loved it.  For me, it was the perfect setup. It was easy to get to, no thigh holster catching on stuff, no hip holster digging into your side/kit pressing against it/blocking access.

Link Posted: 6/30/2020 7:53:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I realize that. The intent is not to don the armor and engage the threat. This is merely a worst case scenario. I have worked at the state and local level for the last 24 years. I understand the risk of doing so.

Thanks
View Quote

Also former military and federal LEO.  I keep a PC and some spare mags in the truck for the same exact reason.  Gives me peace of mind, and in a SHTF scenario I can don it quickly. Not looking for any trouble but also not going to allow myself or those with me to become the victims.
Link Posted: 7/23/2020 9:37:39 PM EDT
[#18]
If it's only for active shooters (or an equally unlikely situation, ie not normal carry) just leave a ar15 mag pouch empty and put the pistol in that. So long as it has a velcro or elastic flap they work great at holding a sidearm.
Link Posted: 7/23/2020 11:22:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Aren't you carrying a pistol already?  Wouldn't you just throw the armor on (affixed with rifle mags) and grab your rifle?

I'm confused.
View Quote
I would also like clarification on this.

If you just want an easily-accessible place to put your normal CCW pistol on the chest rig, use an empty AR15 magazine pouch that has an elastic retaining loop or a velcro flap. It won't be quick draw, but it'll allow you to use your normal carry pistol (which you have anyway) in a more accessible manner if your SBR jams.

If you instead want a dedicated vest gun, get the holster that most closely correlates to what you have the most experience with. You say you are ex-LEO, so I assume you are comfortable with either Safariland SLS/ALS or Blackhawk Serpa. Get a holster using that and whatever Molle adaptor is available for it. Safariland and Blackhawk both have molle adapters. If you are old enought that you used a thumb-break or similar, try a Safariland ALS holster of your favored design, and get their molle adaptor and their quick-detach adapter. That will allow you to have the molle adaptor permanently attached to your chest rig, and still be able to quickly detach it and use the holster for hiking, open carry, concealed carry, vehicle carry, under-desk carry, or whatever. The Safariland QLS system is very versatile, limited only by your imagination and willingness to screw the QLS mounting block to things.

I'd recommend this holster (or similar, use the holster finder tool on Safariland to find more holsters): http://www.safariland.com/products/holsters-and-gear/holsters/concealable-holsters/belt-slide/model-6379-als-concealment-clip-on-belt-holster-28103.html

this molle adaptor: http://www.safariland.com/products/holsters-and-gear/gear/mounting-systems/tactical-molle-adapter-tma-tactical_molle_adapter.html

and this Quick-Detach adaptor (allowing you to quickly detach from the molle attachment): http://www.safariland.com/products/holsters-and-gear/holster-systems/mounting-systems/quick-attachment-systems/quick-locking-system-kit-23136.html#start=1
Link Posted: 7/23/2020 11:30:00 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I am retired LE. I carry most of the time but if I am in my vehicle I remove it. I just want the PC with a pistol so I can just throw that on as need. Highly unlikely that the need would ever arise, just gives me a piece of mind.
View Quote

Quoted:

I have had my go bag with some hard to replace items be stolen from my unmarked before. So yes I definitely make sure its secure.
View Quote
This answers my questions above. Get a Safariland ALS setup as described in my prior post.

I hope you never need it, but I understand the desire to have it available.

Don't forget to keep a well-stocked medical kit (not just an IFAK) on the chest rig, not just for you but for the inevitable casualties around in the aftermath of an active shooter. Under the non-dominant arm doesn't get in the way but remains accessible. If this is only for short-term wear the extra weight of a well-stocked trauma medical kit will not hinder you, and you will be thankful if you ever need it. And needless to say find a decent trauma or active-shooter first aid class and take it. Most decent firearms instructors will be able to point to you one. They are literal lifesavers and well worth the relatively low cost.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top