[#1]
The biggest issue with the DG switch is the possibility of a white light AD
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 10:38:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The biggest issue with the DG switch is the possibility of a white light AD
View Quote

absolutely. Firearms ND is user error, light discharge is very common on draw or adjusting grip during a long building search.
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 5:54:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Looks like it does happen to police now and then, with a couple of people shot in the process.
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 6:17:51 PM EDT
[#4]
One of the reasons a lot of people train to operate them with the off hand thumb. I’ve seen lots of people use the trigger finger thus placing it over the trigger guard rather then above it. Sympathetic reflex then allows finger in the guard resulting in possibility of a ND.
Link Posted: 5/18/2021 7:10:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Our training is support thumb to activate, not you trigger finger.
View Quote

I just tried your method with the support thumb on my SP-01 with TLR-4 that I keep on the laser only setting... That works nicely thank you!

I've been using my trigger finger for years with TLR-1s, TLR-1HL, Inforce's, etc... Never a problem but support thumb is nice and much safer!
Link Posted: 5/18/2021 12:38:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I just tried your method with the support thumb on my SP-01 with TLR-4 that I keep on the laser only setting... That works nicely thank you!

I've been using my trigger finger for years with TLR-1s, TLR-1HL, Inforce's, etc... Never a problem but support thumb is nice and much safer!
View Quote
I've been using the TLR-1 for a long time and always just assumed that you use your support thumb.
Link Posted: 5/19/2021 11:47:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Huh?

This was negligence
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
People can blame their equipment all they want but if you pull the trigger on your gun when you aren't intending to that's not an accident.  It's a mistake.  Mistakes happen, nobody is perfect but calling them accidents is a way of avoiding responsibility.  There are no accidental discharges, they are negligent discharges because somehow, somewhere the person pulling that trigger broke the safety rules.

If your light switch is somehow so close to the trigger that activating it also puts your finger on the trigger you should never have put it on the gun let alone actually used it.  I've never seen a light like that but I guess it could exist.

Any way you look at it, it's an operator error.  It happens, none of us are perfect.  Fortunately in your friends case nobody got hurt and hopefully he learned from his mistake and does whatever he has to do to make sure it doesn't happen again.
Big time agree with this. I never liked the phrase "accidental discharge" because it absolves blame and chalks the result up to random chance and no wrongdoing. Unless the weapon spontaneously went off (and sorry but that just doesn't happen), the user was negligent. It may not have been intentional, but that doesn't matter when the result is a bullet screaming out of the barrel towards lord knows what.

Light switches on pistols are near the trigger guard for ergonomic reasons. It is 100% your responsibility to ensure that you are competent enough to activate it without touching the trigger. If you fail to do that, you are responsible for the outcome. It's not an "accident".

This is a dumb platitude that people keep repeating.

No, something being an accident doesn't absolve them from blame. Accidents are almost always caused by negligence. Saying it was negligence and not an accident is illogical.

an unfortunate incident that happens unexpectedly and unintentionally, typically resulting in damage or injury.

Huh?

This was negligence

Accidents can be caused by negligence. Calling something an accident doesn't mean it wasn't negligence and it doesn't absolve someone from blame. Making a distinction between negligent and accident is illogical because they go hand in hand.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top