Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/17/2021 3:29:30 PM EDT
It's not happened to me, but my friend was taking a low light course and he said it happened to him.  Also I saw an article where a policeman in Texas accidentally shot someone that way.  

What are your thoughts on this subject?  Is a weapon light on a pistol a little bit too much confusion for most people?
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 3:35:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Oroville CA PD officer killed a guy a couple years ago like this after a pursuit. Shot him right in the neck. Poor after shooting performance as well. They ended up blaming the light switch placement.
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 3:38:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
It's not happened to me, but my friend was taking a low light course and he said it happened to him.  Also I saw an article where a policeman in Texas accidentally shot someone that way.  

What are your thoughts on this subject?  Is a weapon light on a pistol a little bit too much confusion for most people?
View Quote

It can be for some, and some designs can exacerbate the issues.

One of the pistol light companies had a stupid design with a small lever that sat in front of the trigger guard, and was squeezed like a trigger to activate the light. Really dumb design.

Likewise, there are designs where you push the switch sideways/in to trigger the light, not unlike the motion for drawing from a Serpa (and we've all seen the video of the Serpa rep, that showed that even HE had a tendency to curl that finger towards the trigger when executing that motion to draw from the holster, despite their claims that you're supposed to train to keep the index finger straight when drawing. If your own company's rep has issues. You have a design flaw).

I prefer Surefire's push forward on the button, with your finger beside the guard, to activate the light. Same finger position where you're keeping safe and away from the trigger.
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 5:01:40 PM EDT
[#3]
People can blame their equipment all they want but if you pull the trigger on your gun when you aren't intending to that's not an accident.  It's a mistake.  Mistakes happen, nobody is perfect but calling them accidents is a way of avoiding responsibility.  There are no accidental discharges, they are negligent discharges because somehow, somewhere the person pulling that trigger broke the safety rules.

If your light switch is somehow so close to the trigger that activating it also puts your finger on the trigger you should never have put it on the gun let alone actually used it.  I've never seen a light like that but I guess it could exist.

Any way you look at it, it's an operator error.  It happens, none of us are perfect.  Fortunately in your friends case nobody got hurt and hopefully he learned from his mistake and does whatever he has to do to make sure it doesn't happen again.
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 5:24:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
People can blame their equipment all they want but if you pull the trigger on your gun when you aren't intending to that's not an accident.  It's a mistake.  Mistakes happen, nobody is perfect but calling them accidents is a way of avoiding responsibility.  There are no accidental discharges, they are negligent discharges because somehow, somewhere the person pulling that trigger broke the safety rules.

If your light switch is somehow so close to the trigger that activating it also puts your finger on the trigger you should never have put it on the gun let alone actually used it.  I've never seen a light like that but I guess it could exist.

Any way you look at it, it's an operator error.  It happens, none of us are perfect.  Fortunately in your friends case nobody got hurt and hopefully he learned from his mistake and does whatever he has to do to make sure it doesn't happen again.
View Quote
Big time agree with this. I never liked the phrase "accidental discharge" because it absolves blame and chalks the result up to random chance and no wrongdoing. Unless the weapon spontaneously went off (and sorry but that just doesn't happen), the user was negligent. It may not have been intentional, but that doesn't matter when the result is a bullet screaming out of the barrel towards lord knows what.

Light switches on pistols are near the trigger guard for ergonomic reasons. It is 100% your responsibility to ensure that you are competent enough to activate it without touching the trigger. If you fail to do that, you are responsible for the outcome. It's not an "accident".
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 5:37:07 PM EDT
[#5]
The dangerous one is the DG switch.
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 5:38:33 PM EDT
[#6]
True accidental discharged are rare but unknown. Mostly fun design has moved beyond that era.
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 5:41:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Maybe it's technically an ND, not an AD.  Whatever.  Is having a light on the pistol such an overcomplication that it is inherently risky?  Eventually if you add enough controls to something you might be prone to do something wrong under stress. Agree/disagree?
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 5:50:01 PM EDT
[#8]
lets see a picture of said setup for reference.
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 6:17:08 PM EDT
[#9]
I have read or seen videos where the weapon light was being used for routine flashlight use.

Definitely unacceptable to use a weapon light that way.
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 6:35:20 PM EDT
[#10]
I ran a white light night run & gun recently for the first time. TRL1 HL on my pistol. Never worried, or was even close to an ND, however I did have manipulation issues; either hitting strobe or momentary when I wanted constant on.

When I got home I disabled strobe and spent time getting my shit in order so I would do what I wanted when I wanted. Sounds like your buddy learned a great training lesson, and in the right environment. It wasn't an AD, it was an ND, but that lesson will make him less negligent moving forward. Lights are still mandatory on an SD gun though.

Link Posted: 4/17/2021 7:05:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Ever notice it is always “a friend” that this happens too?

Cp
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 8:02:03 PM EDT
[#12]
I have a few TLR 1/2s... I activate them with my support hand thumb.

Using the trigger finger... not so much!
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 9:38:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote
Big time agree with this. I never liked the phrase "accidental discharge" because it absolves blame and chalks the result up to random chance and no wrongdoing. Unless the weapon spontaneously went off (and sorry but that just doesn't happen), the user was negligent. It may not have been intentional, but that doesn't matter when the result is a bullet screaming out of the barrel towards lord knows what.

Light switches on pistols are near the trigger guard for ergonomic reasons. It is 100% your responsibility to ensure that you are competent enough to activate it without touching the trigger. If you fail to do that, you are responsible for the outcome. It's not an "accident".
View Quote

This is a dumb platitude that people keep repeating.

No, something being an accident doesn't absolve them from blame. Accidents are almost always caused by negligence. Saying it was negligence and not an accident is illogical.

an unfortunate incident that happens unexpectedly and unintentionally, typically resulting in damage or injury.
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 10:53:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

Our training is support thumb to activate, not you trigger finger.
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 2:47:14 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

No, something being an accident doesn't absolve them from blame. Accidents are almost always caused by negligence. Saying it was negligence and not an accident is illogical.

an unfortunate incident that happens unexpectedly and unintentionally, typically resulting in damage or injury.
View Quote
You're right by the dictionary definition, no disagreement. I find that in the context of "guns going off when I didn't want them to", the word "accident" is used as a means of deflecting responsibility.

Perhaps the better way to phrase it is, if your weapon fires, your intention is irrelevant and the responsibility begins and ends with you.

I didn't want to steer this thread off-topic so I'll echo the above post about using your support-hand thumb to activate white light.
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 8:10:43 AM EDT
[#16]
I have seen true AD. Someone charges an AR with nothing touching the trigger and it cooks off, or a run away with a pistol with literally no finger on the trigger. those are rare exceptions though.

that said it's a training issue. support thumb gets my weapon lights activated. light isn't pointed at anything I'm not willing to shoot, because good/real lights will bounce enough off the floor or ceiling to ID whatever I need to.
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 10:23:53 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

completely disagree.  Its the only one that allows for one handed manipulation without using the trigger finger. With a good grip it comes on automatically, relax your grip to turn it off.  If you have good trigger discipline (and this setup allows you to use the light one handed with your trigger finger high and away) i have no clue how you could have an ND. It has been blamed by several though so you arn't alone.  Working 10 years on midnights, I wouldn't go to work without one.
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 10:35:37 AM EDT
[#18]
Similarly, the activation button for the laser grips where you use your middle finger to turn it on seems iffy to me.  

I have no experience with them, but that's one of the big reasons I don't; trying to squeeze just the middle finger and not move your trigger finger while adrenaline is flowing and things are happening fast doesn't seem reasonable, or even likely.  

Sure, training at the range I can see it working great, in a real life or death situation, not so much.

Link Posted: 4/18/2021 11:15:40 AM EDT
[#19]
I'm by no means a high speed operator, so I have simplified my WML usage by only activating the light with the support hand.  There may be rationale out there that says this is wrong because if my off hand is incapacitated how will I activate my light, but I have no desire to invest the time training to come up with a more robust operational methodology.

For me, my dominant hand index finger pulls the trigger and that's all it ever does.  And I only use my WML for WML things, so I always have a regular flashlight handy.
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 11:32:23 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Similarly, the activation button for the laser grips where you use your middle finger to turn it on seems iffy to me.  

I have no experience with them, but that's one of the big reasons I don't; trying to squeeze just the middle finger and not move your trigger finger while adrenaline is flowing and things are happening fast doesn't seem reasonable, or even likely.  

Sure, training at the range I can see it working great, in a real life or death situation, not so much.

View Quote

Really not a concern, try one if you are inclined.  You don't "squeeze" your middle finger, just gripping the gun normally activates the switch you don't have to "do" anything or think about anything.  I have one on a J-frame.
Even with your finger off the trigger/resting on frame the laser comes on.
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 12:15:47 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

@Brandi

I will place the blame on the person that caused the gun to come out of the holster....

The bad guy in the deal does not get a free ride because they are the one that caused the series of events......

Play stupid games - win stupid prizes....

Red
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 1:03:30 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Really not a concern, try one if you are inclined.  You don't "squeeze" your middle finger, just gripping the gun normally activates the switch you don't have to "do" anything or think about anything.  I have one on a J-frame.
Even with your finger off the trigger/resting on frame the laser comes on.
View Quote
Regarding the laser grips, I found them quite natural on a J-frame but difficult on a GP100.  With the GP100 the button did not stick out far enough for me for it to be ergonomic and it became distracting.
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 1:07:17 PM EDT
[#23]
It shouldn't matter.  A weapon light should only be used to find and ID the thing you are going to shoot.
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 6:56:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Never heard a Sig products I take it?
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 1:33:41 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Never heard a Sig products I take it?
View Quote
Yeah, they clearly made a serious mess of that pistol when it was first released. No way I'm defending Sig on that.

Regardless, in the aggregate, that is a grain of sand in a desert of modern firearms. Exceptions are just that and I think it's fair to consider that pistol's initial drop issues to be an exception when contextualized in the broader firearm market.
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 1:39:08 PM EDT
[#26]
I have a few different types of lights including Inforce.
I typically switch the light with my support thumb if I'm using both hands.
I've got long fingers so I've never worried about slipping off the paddle when using my index finger.

I will never own a serpa though.
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 2:05:34 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:I will never own a serpa though.
View Quote
I hope it's not because of that video where the chucklehead shoots himself in the leg.

I carried my Sig 1911 openly in Tacoma for about a decade, and whenever I got home and took the gun off I would speed-draw it from the Serpa holster, and never once did my finger end up anywhere except pointing straight and resting on the frame.  Following their instructions would have kept that "expert" from perforating himself.  In fact, my experience with the holster proves they are fast, easy, and completely safe.  The only thing unsafe are users that can't follow simple instructions.

I know some people don't think they're sturdy enough, or worry they might not let go of the gun in certain conditions- those issues I can appreciate.  The unsafe-because-idiots issue just boils my blood.
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 2:08:56 PM EDT
[#28]
The first low/no light course I ever took one guy ND'ed into the wall/tire barrier as he was doing a lean out and activation drill.  He ended up eating a bunch of splinters and the instructor gave him his one and final warning.  Next evolution he ND'ed again into a concrete floor then was asked to leave the shoot house and was only allowed to sit in on the class instruction portions.  All shooting evolutions he had to use a blue Glock with a light attached the instructor would not let him do live fire drill.  He had an X300 on his pistol so it was not equipment issue it was a discipline issue and as we all observed he went from ready to start to trying to be a ninja.  He could not slow down and take his time to run the course and just get it right.  Everything he did was dangerous IMO.... When we were on the range doing draw and fire his finger was already entering the trigger guard as the pistol was clearing/exiting the holster.  Multiple times he shot a couple of feet in front of the target because he was pressing the trigger before acquiring the sights.  The instructor missed it I think but several of us in the class were giving each other the OH SHIT look till finally an older well seasoned (I think a LEO) shooter had a talk with him privately.

I can see how ND's can happen with weapon lights.  Before I ever started carrying with a light or shot live on a range manipulating I spent hours in front of a mirror dry drawing/firing or practiced activation while I was bored home alone.  It helped a lot when I finally went to the range and began practicing with real live ammo.  Activating a weapon light on a rifle is very different and similar in many ways so not everything translates over but some stuff does as in where to point the light and where no to point it.
All comes down to practice practice train train and practice some more.
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 2:26:42 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I hope it's not because of that video where the chucklehead shoots himself in the leg.

I carried my Sig 1911 openly in Tacoma for about a decade, and whenever I got home and took the gun off I would speed-draw it from the Serpa holster, and never once did my finger end up anywhere except pointing straight and resting on the frame.  Following their instructions would have kept that "expert" from perforating himself.  In fact, my experience with the holster proves they are fast, easy, and completely safe.  The only thing unsafe are users that can't follow simple instructions.

I know some people don't think they're sturdy enough, or worry they might not let go of the gun in certain conditions- those issues I can appreciate.  The unsafe-because-idiots issue just boils my blood.
View Quote

More due to Fobus-level quality, if i wanted retention it would probably be something from Safariland.
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 5:31:56 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

It's dark, it's a bit stressful, you're trying to find unfamiliar things by feel. Maybe it's a cold night and your fingers are a bit numb. Maybe you're wearing gloves, because it's really cold. Light triggers and no safeties have little safety margin for random fumbling fingers. Heavier triggers and/or safeties could increase the safety margin, but nothing is idiot-proof, only idiot-resistant.
Practice with an unloaded gun in daylight until you can activate it all the time. Then practice in pitch-black with an unloaded gun until you can activate it (and only it) all the time. Only then should you bother with low light classes or shooting events.
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 7:58:08 AM EDT
[#31]
You mean like you drew your Glock when you meant taser.
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 7:32:49 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

How so?  Seems like using your trigger finger to activate the light introduces more of a chance of a ND.  With the DG I can turn the light on and off easily with my middle finger while trigger finger remains along the frame.
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 9:17:38 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I have read or seen videos where the weapon light was being used for routine flashlight use.

Definitely unacceptable to use a weapon light that way.
View Quote

Yes. And I can't understand where some normal citizens go in life where they would need a pistol mounted light used in any other way.....
I spent 4 weeks with an X300 on my carry gun, & my normal day to day I never once saw where I could use this.  I'm not clearing houses or looking for people in the dark.
I'll continue to use a small handheld.  One thing I will say is which ever way you go TRAIN that way.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 1:43:36 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

It really depends on th experience level of the shooter.

With the amount most people shoot I’d expect it’s a likely occurrence.

Your first couple hundred trigger squeezes with a light should be dry. Lights don’t increase the risk of ND by themselves but using the light and the gun in a draw stroke as a whole system introduce a transition that less skilled or experienced shooters will very much increase their chance of ND.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 2:43:28 AM EDT
[#35]
My friend who had the AD was pretty experienced.  He shot high power matches, IPSC, and took a lot of carbine courses, plus would just shoot a lot in general.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 11:40:57 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

How so?  Seems like using your trigger finger to activate the light introduces more of a chance of a ND.  With the DG I can turn the light on and off easily with my middle finger while trigger finger remains along the frame.
View Quote

Because if you make a mistake with your trigger finger when you squeeze you’re squeezing with your whole hand.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 11:52:38 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Because if you make a mistake with your trigger finger when you squeeze you’re squeezing with your whole hand.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep. Sympathetic contraction.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 6:45:51 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
My friend who had the AD was pretty experienced.  He shot high power matches, IPSC, and took a lot of carbine courses, plus would just shoot a lot in general.
View Quote

Everybody can screw up. People with no common sense or safety awareness are more likely to screw up, but professionals do it too now and then.
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 1:06:07 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

It's also a completely unnecessary additional movement.
Every movement you make should have a purpose, and you should not add things that don't have a purpose.

Link Posted: 4/22/2021 1:26:03 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Every movement you make should have a purpose, and you should not add things that don't have a purpose.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It might be wrong, but it does and will happen.
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 10:47:42 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

It might be wrong, but it does and will happen.
View Quote

For sure. It’s really not an ideal method of using your light.
Link Posted: 4/24/2021 10:37:36 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

No, not if you are following the 4 rules and keeping your tigger finger off the trigger on the frame...

Based of my experience of using a dg switch for 8+ years working nights in patrol I will keep on using it.  If anything it is a training issue...

Quoted:

completely disagree.  Its the only one that allows for one handed manipulation without using the trigger finger. With a good grip it comes on automatically, relax your grip to turn it off.  If you have good trigger discipline (and this setup allows you to use the light one handed with your trigger finger high and away) i have no clue how you could have an ND.

Link Posted: 4/24/2021 11:03:10 PM EDT
[#43]
Training issues and human failures are in fact problems in the real world.
Link Posted: 4/24/2021 11:27:31 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Training issues and human failures are in fact problems in the real world.
View Quote
True.  I didn't know until recently that there were multiple police shootings like this.  And we just saw one in Minneapolis where the cop confused the gun with the taser under stress (she sounds like a bit of a tard though based on that...).  

I have been able to set up my home defense ARs with the flashlight in a position that is absolutely intuitive to me.  I'm using a VFG and then light is actuated by my left thumb on the right side.  I really doubt I would ever confuse the activation of the light with the pulling of the trigger.  Having my thumb turn the light on doesn't affect my shooting either since shooting a rifle isn't that grip-dependent.

For some reason the intuitiveness of light activation I feel on a rifle isn't carrying over to a pistol.  With a pistol you don't have any options on where the light goes.  Lights being added to pistols are literally an afterthought.  No one has ever designed a pistol around making the light activation perfect.  Your hands are tensed up and oriented in a way that is for shooting, and light activation is kind of a secondary thing.  A pistol demands a lot more of your hands and adding one more thing is a problem.
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 9:04:01 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

This. And this is how I train my guys. Using your trigger finger to work the light tells me the person's lacks training in how to actually use their equipment
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 1:54:42 PM EDT
[#46]
I considered a light on my 1911 but Andrews Leather wouldn't make the Monarch shoulder holster to fit a lighted pistol.

I dispensed with the idea.

Light goes in left hand, gun in right hand, but I see the advantages of a light on a pistol.
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 12:03:37 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Huh?

This was negligence
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 10:52:32 PM EDT
[#48]
I personally prefer to keep my light separate from my pistol. That’s just me.
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 2:19:36 PM EDT
[#49]
For a CCW or HD pistol, an Attached flashlight should be MANDATORY IMHO.

In a Real Life shooting situation, there might not be time to deploy & activate a separate flashlight.  Plus doing so will require using one of your 2 hands.

Having an AD/ND while trying or meaning to activate an attached flashlight is a Training Issue which RARELY happens.  If you feel an attached flashlight makes a pistol in ANY way "unsafe" or more prone to an AD/ND, then maybe employing a pistol is NOT for you.
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 11:33:35 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
For a CCW or HD pistol, an Attached flashlight should be MANDATORY IMHO.
View Quote

HD, sure, you tend to be home at night, a light for checking out bumps in the night can't hurt. Not sure why you consider it mandatory for CCW though. While incidents happen more often at night than during the daylight, they tend to happen in lit areas because criminals can't see in the dark any better than you can. Doesn't hurt to have the capability, though.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top