Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/3/2022 12:23:02 AM EDT
Want to try some of the newer light weight +P ammo, like Underwood 120 grain.
Not sure if the baby AMT will take it.
Anyone tried it?
Link Posted: 2/3/2022 5:43:02 AM EDT
[#1]
I wouldn't do it.
seen more than a few cracked frames on AMT's
Link Posted: 2/3/2022 6:36:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Hell no
Link Posted: 2/3/2022 7:03:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Absolutely not!! Based on past experience with any AMT Backup model. Worst gun I had a long time ago and remains that number one position to this day.
Link Posted: 2/3/2022 8:23:27 AM EDT
[#4]
I had one of those things and no way I would shoot +P in it.  In fact, I’d say save your money and your fingers and find yourself another pistol.

Link Posted: 2/3/2022 9:34:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Sure. If you’re going to track down the poor slob who owns my AutomagII and blow it to bits.

Worst pos I ever owned.

And I had a Taurus once.
Link Posted: 2/3/2022 2:56:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Actually, it shouldn't be a problem.
They made the guns in 400 Corbon and I rechambered several to 10mm and 9x25 Dillon.  Never an issue with any of them.

Yes, AMT made a lot of complete shit guns, but the large frame backups that I have owned have always functioned perfectly out of the box and I have never had any cracking or parts breakage issues with them.
I can't say that for any of their Automag line though.  I've owned about a dozen of both guns over the last 30 years.

Tony

Link Posted: 2/3/2022 7:42:49 PM EDT
[#7]
I did back in the day... I survived as did the gun
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 12:39:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks Tony & salsa.
Was thinking along the same lines after stumbling on to a list of all the calibers the offered the DOA in.

Getting to like the little thing, especially after slicking up the trigger bar, and hammer surfaces.
Link Posted: 2/8/2022 10:30:38 AM EDT
[#9]
>>Want to try some of the newer light weight +P ammo<<

Why would you want to? Are you seriously considering using an AMT Backup as a SD weapon?
Link Posted: 2/9/2022 2:20:07 PM EDT
[#10]
No, I'm going to use it as a fucking key fab
Link Posted: 2/17/2022 3:53:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: doubleclaw] [#11]
I've never tried using +P ammo in mine, but it sorta begs the question of why would you want to?

The recoil in these things is robust enough as it is.

Not to mention that these guns are getting a bit long in the tooth for the use of more modern, hotter loadings.

In any event, what will the +P ammo do at close range that standard pressure .45 ACP defensive loads won't already do, other than create huge, blinding fireballs, harsher report and greater recoil?

I'm just not seeing an upside to the idea.

Incidentally, you might want to check the muzzle crown on these things. I had one back in the day that would throw rounds WAY off to the right, and upon inspection, I discovered a huge ass burr on the inside edge of the muzzle crown. Some quick work with a brass lapping ball and some compound took care of that and it shot straight as an arrow afterward.

Also, you could possibly call up Wolff Gunsprings and see if they have something that would work as a +P spring pack for that gun. The hammer spring doubles as part of the recoil system, and the actual recoil spring in these guns is a rawther flimsy looking thing that I wouldn't rely on to mitigate the forces of a +P load. That being said, I wonder if you could get flat wire spring stock that would work? There looks to be plenty of space under the dustcover for a better recoil system. Maybe a double-spring arrangement like the Officer's Model?

I'm kinda curious about whether this kind of mod would be possible...
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 12:25:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: doubleclaw] [#12]
So, I went out and shot my AMT Backup not too long ago, and I can safely say that it is not a gun I would ever want to shoot a +P load out of, ever.

Using 230 grain ball, it was enough of a handful of sharp edges that two magazines was about enough for me. The trigger is going to need de-horning really bad, and that goes for just about all the edges on this thing.

The .44 magnum I shot afterward was pleasant by comparison, and that’s really saying something.

All that being said, the AMT was surprisingly accurate at seven yards, once I got used to it, and I managed to place all five rounds of the second string right where I wanted them. It was point of aim/point of impact, and very satisfying despite the punishing recoil and sharp, barely finished edges on this little bastard.

Top left target. The hits in the lower half are the first group. Second group is around the bullseye. Not bad for such an unpleasant handgun.

The .44, and S&W 629-6, 4” bbl half lug. Way more fun to shoot than that Backup.
Link Posted: 6/23/2022 6:01:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Well, with a little stoning, got the trigger pull down under 20 lbs, LoL...
A lot of the sliding surfaces in the action are 'as cast'.
Also rounded off the trigger profile, made it a lot easier to get 3" groups at 10 yards.

Tried some hot loads in it, yeah, screw doing that again
Shooting 185 grain, std factory semi-wad cutter, and UMC flat nose loads now.
Picked up a DeSantis pocket holster for it, and it follows me around town now
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 9:12:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Another happy coincidence to these handguns is that they will ride securely in my IWB 1911 holsters.

No need to buy extra holsters or spend time trying to find anyone who still makes rigs for them.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top