Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/26/2020 7:44:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Teddydog]
(Cross-posted on the P-38 forum)

On kind of an impulse, I bought this gun last week from Legacy Collectibles. I have owned a couple of P-38s, HPs and P1s over the years, but none currently (until this). (Years ago I even stumbled across a pre-War alloy-frame HP.)

Here are the details
Frame: 4521C & Eagle / 359
Slide (l): P.38 9785c ac 45
Slide (r): Eagle / 359
Barrel (f): 4275b
Barrel (l block area): WaA76 (the 6 is questionable)
Barrel (b block area): fnh
Magazine (spine): WaA706 / jvd
Grip panels (inside): large flat diamond with script writing inside; number 9 on left panel and 11 on right.

The frame and slide are phosphate finished and the barrel and most small parts are blued. The bore is very nice. No import markings.

While it is still up, here is Legacy Collectible's page for the pistol:
https://www.legacy-collectibles.com/...p-38-ac45.html

The holster included seems to be a (hand-made?) copy of the US shoulder holster for the 1911, but made from thinner, softer leather with a pebble grain and more rivets/less stitching. No makers marks are apparent.

The pistol has some wear and spots of heavy rust speckling, mainly on the left side near the SN and the "P.38" on the slide. There is also a bit of pitting in that area on the left side of the slide. Being a late-war put-together gun, it seems unlikely that it earned this wear in the field, though I suppose it is possible the GI carried it for some balance of his time in theater.

What do you all think?

Rob
Link Posted: 4/8/2020 8:47:17 PM EDT
[#1]
I decided I couldn't live with it and sent it back.  

rob
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top