Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/6/2020 11:18:56 AM EDT
So I wanted to buy a new M1A1 but it seems like recently quality control is bad.
I really like that they are made in the US, but unfortunately, it seems like that's the problem.

Were/are the regular M9s that the Us Military used/use made in Italy or the US?

Is the current M9 (commercial) only made in the US? If so, is it also in the same TN factory as the M1A1?

Checking serials on Berettas site does not tell what factory.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 4:17:44 PM EDT
[#1]
The M9s, by contract, had to be made in the US.
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 4:21:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
So I wanted to buy a new M1A1 but it seems like recently quality control is bad.
I really like that they are made in the US, but unfortunately, it seems like that's the problem.

Were/are the regular M9s that the Us Military used/use made in Italy or the US?

Is the current M9 (commercial) only made in the US? If so, is it also in the same TN factory as the M1A1?

Checking serials on Berettas site does not tell what factory.

Thanks!
View Quote

M9a3? My American made 92 is fantastic although it’s from before they moved!
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 4:23:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Fordtough25:

M9a3? My American made 92 is fantastic although it’s from before they moved!
View Quote

Yeah, I've had a hard time finding anybody who owns one from the new plant. Everything I can find online is bad.

Really want one! But seems like there is terrible quality control there.

So I guess I'll just have to pay more for a used one than a new one
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 4:30:05 PM EDT
[#4]
I got a Gallitin M9 about a year ago, but sold it to fund another M9A3. No regrets. The M9 is notable from a historical perspective, but is pretty bleh when compared to Beretta's recent 92 offerings.
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 5:02:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By glklvr:
I got a Gallitin M9 about a year ago, but sold it to fund another M9A3. No regrets. The M9 is notable from a historical perspective, but is pretty bleh when compared to Beretta's recent 92 offerings.
View Quote

Honestly, the history is the only thing that intrigues me about Berettas so trying to get something tied as closely as possible to that!

On the fence of whether to risk buying a new one from TN or searching for a used one from MD
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 9:41:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Most of my 92’s are Italian, but I don’t have any problems with these two from Tennessee. Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 10:06:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Just make sure to look at the actual M9 you're buying if you're particular about having the correct roll marks . Seems to be there has been variations in the roll marking of the slides recently including having Gallatin, TN in the roll marks which they never had before and not correct. The very early M9s were made in Italy until they got the US production up and running.

I bought this M9 in Aug 2019 and has the correct roll marks. The slide above is from an actual Italian made M9

I saw this one at the samel shop in January 2020. "US 9MM M9" shouldn't be on this side and the cage code 65490 should be after the assy number. The roll marks don't look as clean as before.

And this side of the slide looks like standard 92FS roll mark. Note the serial number has a CA suffix. Not really sure if that was intentional for the Calif. roster.

As for the M9A1, I bought this in Jan 2019. Only thing I noticed is the frame anodizing is a lighter shade of black, the barrel machining is horrible and there was a nick on one corner of my light rail.

Link Posted: 5/7/2020 8:59:49 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By uniform64:
Just make sure to look at the actual M9 you're buying if you're particular about having the correct roll marks . Seems to be there has been variations in the roll marking of the slides recently including having Gallatin, TN in the roll marks which they never had before and not correct. The very early M9s were made in Italy until they got the US production up and running.

I bought this M9 in Aug 2019 and has the correct roll marks. The slide above is from an actual Italian made M9

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49864488933_75ef232df5_b.jpg

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49865025976_e468fc6947_b.jpg

I saw this one at the samel shop in January 2020. "US 9MM M9" shouldn't be on this side and the cage code 65490 should be after the assy number. The roll marks don't look as clean as before.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49353649907_bc63aeeb49_b.jpg

And this side of the slide looks like standard 92FS roll mark. Note the serial number has a CA suffix. Not really sure if that was intentional for the Calif. roster.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49353436596_1427f501c0_b.jpg

As for the M9A1, I bought this in Jan 2019. Only thing I noticed is the frame anodizing is a lighter shade of black, the barrel machining is horrible and there was a nick on one corner of my light rail.

https://live.staticflickr.com/7889/45616539435_e88d48730a_b.jpg

https://live.staticflickr.com/4896/46478006772_58218e0801_b.jpg
View Quote

Thank you. Great info!
I'm honestly just leaning towards buying a used one. Ironically, the used ones are selling for quite a bit more than new ones, but it seems to make sense why. Really unfortunate this is happening right when I want to buy one!

Love that military M9 slide!
How much do those go for?

My ideal gun would be a military one, and it seems the closest I might get is a military slide on a commercial frame
Link Posted: 5/8/2020 4:49:33 PM EDT
[#9]
I carried an M9 in the USMC in the 90's and it was american made.
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 9:24:49 AM EDT
[#10]
I  just recently purchased an M9 and M9A1 back in early April. The M9 from Classic Firearms and the M9A1 from Shoot Straight. No issues with either company other than Classic Firearms took forever to ship. Now back to the Beretta's.

These were both Tennessee made guns and while they both shot decent I just never warmed up to them like I did the older models. The machining on the barrels and inside the slides on both were subpar compared to the MD and Italian manufactured ones. Also some rough machining marks in both lowers. And the M9A1 had a strange bluish tint on the receiver that was very noticeable. Again, they functioned fine but just wasn't happy about the finish on a brand new gun looking like this. I ended up trading them both to a friend who had an older NIB Colt M4. I went ahead and just bought an Italian made 92FS off Gunbroker. I'm gonna try to find a MD made M9 but I know I'm kinda late in the game for that.

I do hope Beretta steps up their game at the Tennessee plant. The pistols look like Beretta's from a distance and function just fine, but the quality control is all over the place. Until then, I'll stick with Italian and MD made Beretta's.

Steve
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 9:30:52 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By stjohn45:
I  just recently purchased an M9 and M9A1 back in early April. The M9 from Classic Firearms and the M9A1 from Shoot Straight. No issues with either company other than Classic Firearms took forever to ship. Now back to the Beretta's.

These were both Tennessee made guns and while they both shot decent I just never warmed up to them like I did the older models. The machining on the barrels and inside the slides on both were subpar compared to the MD and Italian manufactured ones. Also some rough machining marks in both lowers. And the M9A1 had a strange bluish tint on the receiver that was very noticeable. Again, they functioned fine but just wasn't happy about the finish on a brand new gun looking like this. I ended up trading them both to a friend who had an older NIB Colt M4. I went ahead and just bought an Italian made 92FS off Gunbroker. I'm gonna try to find a MD made M9 but I know I'm kinda late in the game for that. 

I do hope Beretta steps up their game at the Tennessee plant. The pistols look like Beretta's from a distance and function just fine, but the quality control is all over the place. Until then, I'll stick with Italian and MD made Beretta's. 

Steve
View Quote

Yeah, that's 90% of the people I've talked to with TN guns. Crazy that is the quality control Beretta puts out in the US. I'll never buy a new gun from them honestly. Only MD guns if I can find them (or if I even want to move forward with Beretta guns at all).
It's pretty sad. I was initially really excited about them.
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 9:44:11 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By comma:

Yeah, that's 90% of the people I've talked to with TN guns. Crazy that is the quality control Beretta puts out in the US. I'll never buy a new gun from them honestly. Only MD guns if I can find them (or if I even want to move forward with Beretta guns at all).
It's pretty sad. I was initially really excited about them.
View Quote

I know. I had an older Italian 92FS I gave to my brother a few years back. After I get the 92 I just ordered from Gunbroker,  I'll probably pick up another M9 if I can find a MD one for a decent price. And maybe a Tennessee model again but only if they get a handle on their quality control.  Neither one of these M9's would've made it out of the Italian or Maryland factories. They were that bad.

Steve
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 9:55:35 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By stjohn45:

I know. I had an older Italian 92FS I gave to my brother a few years back. After I get the 92 I just ordered from Gunbroker,  I'll probably pick up another M9 if I can find a MD one for a decent price. And maybe a Tennessee model again but only if they get a handle on their quality control.  Neither one of these M9's would've made it out of the Italian or Maryland factories. They were that bad. 

Steve
View Quote

Sounds like the majority of the guns coming out of the factory should never even come close to leaving. I'm part of a discussion about this in another forum, and a guy who bought one (from shoot straight) while the conversation was going on, had a rusty barrel. No idea how a modern gun manufacturer ships out a new gun with a rusty barrel.

For new US made guns, my money will go to pretty much any other gun maker.
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 10:05:17 AM EDT
[#14]

Sounds like the majority of the guns coming out of the factory should never even come close to leaving. I'm part of a discussion about this in another forum, and a guy who bought one (from shoot straight) while the conversation was going on, had a rusty barrel. No idea how a modern gun manufacturer ships out a new gun with a rusty barrel. 

For new US made guns, my money will go to pretty much any other gun maker.
View Quote

Same here.
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 12:28:13 PM EDT
[#15]
My recent TN INOX is fine.  Now, it is not as smooth as my BrigTac in terms of slide/frame BUT I don't notice any maching flaws.

Link Posted: 5/14/2020 12:25:23 PM EDT
[#16]
I have 3 TN made guns.  2 of the 3 have/had cosmetic issues.

M9A3 had a ridge in the exterior of the barrel where it was machined wrong.  Worked fine, but it was ugly.  Beretta replaced the barrel under warrantly.

M9A1 looks fine.

92G Elite LTT has some ugly machining on the inside of the slide, and the bevels on the front of the slide are not symmetrical.  Didn't bother sending it back.
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 12:27:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By TheJeanyus:
I have 3 TN made guns.  2 of the 3 have/had cosmetic issues.

M9A3 had a ridge in the exterior of the barrel where it was machined wrong.  Worked fine, but it was ugly.  Beretta replaced the barrel under warrantly.

M9A1 looks fine.

92G Elite LTT has some ugly machining on the inside of the slide, and the bevels on the front of the slide are not symmetrical.  Didn't bother sending it back.
View Quote

Build date on your TN guns?

The INOX gun above is a 2020 gun.
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 9:25:33 PM EDT
[#18]
I just received my 92fs brand new and it’s flawless. Exactly what I expected from beretta. Sucks to hear about the American made ones. I hope they can turn that around.
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 4:13:47 PM EDT
[#19]

Yeah, that's 90% of the people I've talked to with TN guns. Crazy that is the quality control Beretta puts out in the US. I'll never buy a new gun from them honestly. Only MD guns if I can find them (or if I even want to move forward with Beretta guns at all).
View Quote

exactly how I feel.
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 12:26:26 AM EDT
[#20]

View Quote

Its 90% because most happy customers aren't spending the same energy as the unhappy buyers.

Lots of stuff slipped througg but its nowhere near the amount some would lead you to believe. Ive heard some push that agenda because they were mad they didn't get hired.

Back when i worked at a gun store/range i saw a lot of TN guns with zero issues.

Infact, there was a few years where we had a lot of Italian guns shooting 2 feet high at 15 yards that beretta said was within spec.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 8:44:10 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By 03RN:

Its 90% because most happy customers aren't spending the same energy as the unhappy buyers.

Lots of stuff slipped througg but its nowhere near the amount some would lead you to believe. Ive heard some push that agenda because they were mad they didn't get hired.

Back when i worked at a gun store/range i saw a lot of TN guns with zero issues. 

Infact, there was a few years where we had a lot of Italian guns shooting 2 feet high at 15 yards that beretta said was within spec.
View Quote

I do agree with your post and the only issues I had with both M9's were strictly cosmetic. I fired around 300 through the M9, maybe half that through the M9A1.  I just wanted what I paid for. No difference than buying a new Jeep or F150 and having paint peeling or fisheyed, dents under the frame and interior color parts mismatched. Mechanically, the vehicle is just fine but the cosmetics are all over the place.

I did purchase both M9's online and had them shipped to my dealer. If I had done a careful inspection before transfer, we would've sent them both back. But that's on me. I trusted Beretta's reputation and they let me down. But I just received a like new 92FS Italian gun off gunbroker. Finish and machining look perfect even on a used gun. And have another MD M9 on the way. I do like Beretta's and hope they get their issues resolved in Tennessee. All I'm saying is if you purchase a new Tennessee-made Beretta, give it a thorough once over.

Steve
Link Posted: 6/4/2020 10:42:58 AM EDT
[#22]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top