Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/1/2020 8:50:44 PM EDT
For those who wondered how this may perform when you bought some before the COOF :D  Very speedy, just not sure why it didn't expand, unless this is a JSP in clear gel issue:

9x19mm, 100gr JSP, Sellier and Bellot, Police

Link Posted: 12/1/2020 11:57:44 PM EDT
[#1]
I’m guessing that gel blocks aren’t the issue at all. It just doesn’t have enough oomph to flatten the lead. Clear ballistics is usually a bit harder then 10 percent gel.
Link Posted: 12/2/2020 6:12:32 PM EDT
[#2]
It didn't even expand with the 16 inch barrel and a additional couple hundred fps.  Don't see much use for it other than plinking
Link Posted: 12/2/2020 7:55:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Interesting. I think it's still better than regular FMJ thanks to the flat tip. May increase wounding by 1% and may also help auto body penetration with less deflection.
Link Posted: 12/2/2020 10:54:17 PM EDT
[#4]
I have some hirtenberger 9mm with what they call the “FL” bullet which is a truncated cone 100 grain soft point that looks like that. Bought this stuff probably 20 years ago. It’s +p+ velocity, supposed to be over 1400 fps. At the time it was claimed the Austrian police carried it in their glocks. It is very accurate.

Bought it from an ad in shotgun news lol. Those were the good ol days
Link Posted: 12/3/2020 1:58:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have some hirtenberger 9mm with what they call the "FL" bullet which is a truncated cone 100 grain soft point that looks like that. Bought this stuff probably 20 years ago. It's +p+ velocity, supposed to be over 1400 fps. At the time it was claimed the Austrian police carried it in their glocks. It is very accurate.

View Quote
Don't suppose you'd entertain selling 100 rds #forscience? :D
Link Posted: 12/3/2020 8:11:14 PM EDT
[#6]
I bought some 130gr jsp from precision delta last year. Ive tested it in 2" .38 up to 20" .357.

It didn't start expanding untill 1600fps
Link Posted: 12/4/2020 10:18:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I have some hirtenberger 9mm with what they call the “FL” bullet which is a truncated cone 100 grain soft point that looks like that. Bought this stuff probably 20 years ago. It’s +p+ velocity, supposed to be over 1400 fps. At the time it was claimed the Austrian police carried it in their glocks. It is very accurate.

View Quote

You do know that +P+ does NOT mean more velocity, but more PRESSURE, right? It may be normal PRESSURE for a 100 grain bullet to go 1400 fps.
Link Posted: 12/4/2020 12:45:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

You do know that +P+ does NOT mean more velocity, but more PRESSURE, right? It may be normal PRESSURE for a 100 grain bullet to go 1400 fps.
View Quote
well if I get some from him, I'll see if that extra pressure = more velocity over the 100gr in the OP
Link Posted: 12/5/2020 11:32:26 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
well if I get some from him, I'll see if that extra pressure = more velocity over the 100gr in the OP
View Quote

I have a certain kind of SD ammo that has +P pressure, but not +P velocity (Barnes TAC-XP). It could be that the bullet is loaded to standard pressure, but the bullet is so light that it might achieve serious velocity even without the +P or +P+ pressure. Having said that, the Euros do tend to load their bullets slightly hotter than us Americans.
Link Posted: 12/5/2020 11:15:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I have a certain kind of SD ammo that has +P pressure, but not +P velocity (Barnes TAC-XP). It could be that the bullet is loaded to standard pressure, but the bullet is so light that it might achieve serious velocity even without the +P or +P+ pressure. Having said that, the Euros do tend to load their bullets slightly hotter than us Americans.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think its just that most 9mm ammo is loaded way under pressure.

Standard 9x19 Parabellum spec from a 4" is:

115gr @ 1250fps
124gr @ 1150fps

What we're actually receiving these days is way under that 100 year old standard.
Link Posted: 12/6/2020 2:34:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Back in the 1970’s Speer sold a round nose soft point but I don’t remember the weight.  I need to check my old Speer reloading manual but Speer also sold a 100 grain JHP.   The Speer round nose soft point didn’t expand IIRC.  When NYPD first issued 9 MM they issued a JSP which didn’t work very well on the Street.  The Illinois State Police weren’t authorized hollow points in the 1970’s and used a flat nose Federal 95 grain JSP at about 1325 FPS out of a model 39.   They also issued a W-W 95 grain JSP for a very short period before switching to Federal 115 grain JHP 9BP.

Autopsy reports indicated the 95 grain JSP didn’t expand reliably (usually only expanding after striking bone).  

I wonder if Austria wanted the high velocity light weight bullet to reduce down range hazard and for use in SMG’s.   Less mass might in theory be better but actual performance was probably very close to 115 grain FMJ.   The ISP issued a 100 grain round nose FMJ  trying to reduce soft target penetration and improve performance.   It didn’t take long to find out that the 100 grain RN FMJ wasn’t any better than 123 grain FMJ.  The shorter bullets were less reliable bullets in regards to feeding in some early generation 9 MM semi autos.

I actually have a couple of the 100 grain RN FMJ ISP cartridges and the Federal 95 grain JSP cartridges.  I’ll  try to remember to post pictures.   The 115 grain JHP was really the first 9 MM bullet the ISP used where they observed improved street performance out of 4” pistols.
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 3:18:10 PM EDT
[#12]
I think Remington had an LE 9mm load using an 88gr JSP bullet back in the 70's or 80's. I had a friend who's dad worked for Customs and he had a box of them. I may have a couple in my "old and strange" ammo collection. They had an exposed lead tip similar to SJSP 357mag.  

I can understand the logic of increasing the velocity by reducing the bullet weight with the hope that it expands but I dont think it ever worked in the 9mm.
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 5:39:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Back in the 1970’s Speer sold a round nose soft point but I don’t remember the weight.
View Quote

It was 125 grains and it survived into the 1980s.  I used to load it in mhy .38 Super Gov't model.

But, even when loaded to 1300 FPS, expansion was iffy.

Probably why we don't see it any more.
Link Posted: 12/9/2020 8:54:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I think Remington had an LE 9mm load using an 88gr JSP bullet back in the 70's or 80's. I had a friend who's dad worked for Customs and he had a box of them. I may have a couple in my "old and strange" ammo collection. They had an exposed lead tip similar to SJSP 357mag.  

I can understand the logic of increasing the velocity by reducing the bullet weight with the hope that it expands but I dont think it ever worked in the 9mm.
View Quote

The 80's were a time when everyone thought speed was king, before modern bullet design caught up. Most leo were switching from revolvers, and going to 9mm. Most found out pretty fast that it wasn't going to punch like .357. So all kinds of experiments were tried, mostly light fast bullets. They didn't work, and now that bullet technology has advanced, 124, and 147 pretty much rule the roost.
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 3:04:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

The 80's were a time when everyone thought speed was king, before modern bullet design caught up. Most leo were switching from revolvers, and going to 9mm. Most found out pretty fast that it wasn't going to punch like .357. So all kinds of experiments were tried, mostly light fast bullets. They didn't work, and now that bullet technology has advanced, 124, and 147 pretty much rule the roost.
View Quote

Yup. It was the dark days of shooting Dukseal and wetpack and seeing which makes the bigger hole.
Link Posted: 12/12/2020 6:21:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Here are some pictures of Old Illinois State Police issue ammo I said I would post.  This box of ammo was discovered at HQ and was given to me by a Superior.

The Box was for 50 cartridges of  Winchester 100 grain Round Nose FMJ, reported to be the second type of ammo issued by the ISP for the S&W model 39.  This 100 grain FMJ was probably issued in the early 1970’s.   The Winchester box contained six 100 grain RN FMJ with nickel cases, four Federal 95 grain JSP in nickel cases and one Winchester 95 grain JSP cartridge.

This pictures shows the box and top view of the cartridges.

This picture shows a side view of the 100 grain RN FMJ.

This picture is a side view of the Federal 95 grain Jacketed Soft Point cartridges.

This photo shows the Winchester 95 grain JSP on the left of the four Federal 95 grain JSP.   The Winchester 95 grain JSP ammo was issued for a short time after the failure of the original Winchester 115 grain Silvertip with Aluminum Magnesium jacket.   Once the Winchester 115 grain JHP +P+ was adopted the Winchester 95 grain JSP was replaced by the new JHP.   Gov Thompson approved hollow points and the ISP issued standard Pressure Federal 9BP 115 grain JHP ammo.  Winchester Western won the next ammo contract where the Silvertip JHP issued.   When the Silvertip was pulled there wasn’t enough old ISP issued ammo so the W-W 95 grain JSP was used until replaced by the Win 115 grain JHP +P+ in about 1985-1986.

Here is a picture of the case heads, left to right, FMJ, Federal JSP and one W-W JSP.

Link Posted: 12/12/2020 10:32:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Awesome, thank you for sharing.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top