Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/5/2023 9:31:55 PM EDT
Does anyone (commercially) make a 158 Gr 9mm sub sonic hollowpoint?
Fiocchi range dynamics 158 gr 9mm sub sonic fmg are stupid quiet out of my AR9 pistol and form 1 can.
Would like to have some self defense rounds for home use.
Link Posted: 1/8/2023 10:31:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/9/2023 6:28:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Never seen a hollowpoint heavier than 147gr EXCEPT for the Seismic 185gr stuff.
View Quote

Federal HST Micro 150gr 9mm
Link Posted: 1/19/2023 4:34:23 PM EDT
[#3]
147gr is the most common heavy grain and like mentioned above the 150gr Fed but I believe that load is actually optimized for shorter barrel pistols.
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 7:29:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Does anyone (commercially) make a 158 Gr 9mm sub sonic hollowpoint?
Fiocchi range dynamics 158 gr 9mm sub sonic fmg are stupid quiet out of my AR9 pistol and form 1 can.
Would like to have some self defense rounds for home use.
View Quote

147gr is natively subsonic out of pistols. How long is your AR9?
Link Posted: 4/16/2023 7:50:05 PM EDT
[#5]
4" barrel length.
I've tried 147 grain subs as well as the 158 grain and
I can't tell much difference in "loudness" by ear, though the 158 grain had a different "softer" tone to it.
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 2:43:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
4" barrel length.
I've tried 147 grain subs as well as the 158 grain and
I can't tell much difference in "loudness" by ear, though the 158 grain had a different "softer" tone to it.
View Quote

This is likely due to the burn rate of the powder used.   147gr JHP is often a defense round and higher velocity is desired.  Powder selection alone can make a 200+ FPS difference in 9mm, but the faster stuff will be louder.

Most 158gr is designed for suppressed use, and are loaded with a JHP not for terminal performance but for not having an exposed lead base, for reduced leading if the suppressor as well as reduced lead exposure shooting indoors.  These will likely be loaded with smaller charges of fast burning powder which is inherently more quiet.

This may be a case where you will need to choose terminal performance over sound if you are unwilling to undertake the task of reloading your own.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top