Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/23/2021 1:29:55 PM EDT
I have a 97b on layaway and I've been trying to find some ammo to feed it. I've read that HP ammo may not be as reliable as ball ammo. Has CZ addressed that in the newer production models or was it more myth than fact to begin with? Or should I avoid HP until I've had a chance to break it in or have it tweaked?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/23/2021 2:19:33 PM EDT
[#1]
I could see it.  I had issues with plated truncated cone bullets that had the same profile as JHP in my CZ 75.

No idea if anything has changed.

The bevel on the cone would contact the rifling and then fail to fire due to not being fully in battery.  Loading them shorter caused feed issues.
Link Posted: 3/23/2021 3:37:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Older ones tended to be finicky with HP ammo. CZ changed the feed ramp and throat, sometime around 2012 IIRC.
Link Posted: 3/23/2021 5:24:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Older ones tended to be finicky with HP ammo. CZ changed the feed ramp and throat, sometime around 2012 IIRC.
View Quote

Cool. Hope that's the case.
Link Posted: 3/24/2021 6:20:47 PM EDT
[#4]
If you plan on using the CZ 97b for CCW that may be an issue for you. However with it being an all steel gun with full dust cover it is pretty heavy to carry for only 10 rounds. Not to mention holster availability is not the best for the 97b.

Then again I have seen some big dudes carry 2011's, Shadow 2's and other large guns.

Best advice is to test the type of ammo you plan on using for function. I have only run FMJ through my 97b with no issues. Good luck with your 97b it's a sweet shooter.
Link Posted: 3/24/2021 6:40:12 PM EDT
[#5]
It won't be for CCW. Might carry once in a while when camping or hiking, but mainly bought it for fun as I've never had a 45 before. I've also carried a Ruger Redhawk, 75b and gp100 and none of those are overly small either. If I ever decide I need a CCW might have to look into a PCR.
Link Posted: 3/28/2021 10:20:04 AM EDT
[#6]
I had a very early 97B, hollow points were a no go, even after a trip back to CZ USA where they polished the feed ramp, and breech face, they claimed they test fired it with JHPs and it was fine.  I got it back and it was still no go with JHPs, so I sold it.

No idea about post 2012 production.

Link Posted: 3/28/2021 12:23:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Fixed.  No problem now.  I have many thousands of JHP rounds through my 97 with no problems.  
Joe
Link Posted: 3/28/2021 4:00:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Fixed.  No problem now.  I have many thousands of JHP rounds through my 97 with no problems.  
Joe
View Quote

Awesome. Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 6:17:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Why CZ never put the 10mm Auto in the 97B still befuddles me.
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 7:31:04 AM EDT
[#10]
I'm surprised they actually made a .45 to be honest.

.45 is a totally niche caliber everywhere else but the US, and 10mm has even less market than .45.

It's just another case of the juice not being worth the squeeze to a European manufacturer.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 12:31:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Just put a few Hornady 240 grain XTPs through my BD- flawless functioning.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top