Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/15/2020 8:27:23 PM EDT
Looking for confirmation on whether or not the new 92X Centurion comes with the G decocker either as an option or, as Beretta's website says, "...to the universal slide design which is convertible from safety-decocker (F) to decocker-only (G)..." meaning it is easily convertible for the end user to make the change himself?

Thanks.

Link Posted: 5/15/2020 8:34:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Looking for confirmation on whether or not the new 92X Centurion comes with the G decocker either as an option or, as Beretta's website says, "...to the universal slide design which is convertible from safety-decocker (F) to decocker-only (G)..." meaning it is easily convertible for the end user to make the change himself?

Thanks.

View Quote

Yes. Comes in both styles. You can also buy the G conversion for about $50. Easily installed? If you have the tools. Otherwise just buy the G to begin with.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 8:36:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes.  You can and SHOULD get a 92X G.
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 8:43:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Thank you much!
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 9:28:42 AM EDT
[#4]
The G is not a Brigadier G, it's a converted F with the ugly right side lever.  I got the full-size and will NEVER carry it so I opted for the much better looking safety model.  YMMV
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 4:13:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By DCopp:
The G is not a Brigadier G, it's a converted F with the ugly right side lever.  I got the full-size and will NEVER carry it so I opted for the much better looking safety model.  YMMV
View Quote

I spent the extra money to have Wilson convert my F safety to a G decocker, so it retains the original G lines of decades ago.

The G conversion kit lever looks so out of place on the 92 design. It's like putting a fart can on a Ferrari.
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 5:00:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By glklvr:

I spent the extra money to have Wilson convert my F safety to a G decocker, so it retains the original G lines of decades ago.

The G conversion kit lever looks so out of place on the 92 design. It's like putting a fart can on a Ferrari.
View Quote

Bingo
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 6:15:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By DCopp:
The G is not a Brigadier G, it's a converted F with the ugly right side lever.  I got the full-size and will NEVER carry it so I opted for the much better looking safety model.  YMMV
View Quote

It looks even better with the Wilson slim single sided safety .
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 8:52:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Any pictures of what you guys are talking about with the safety/decock levers being unattractive compared to something else?
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 7:01:59 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By danasaki:
Any pictures of what you guys are talking about with the safety/decock levers being unattractive compared to something else?
View Quote

The original Beretta 92G right side decocker looked exactly like the F safety. The lever simply sprang back up to the fire position when you dropped the hammer. For years, Beretta didn't make a G model. More recently, Beretta has used what they call a G conversion kit on their reintroduced decocker models, and sell the kit for about $50 so people can retrofit their Berettas with safeties. This has allowed Beretta to manufacture the same slide for both F and G models because the earlier G guns had to have different machining in the slide for the decocker.

There are a unique few of us who feel that the sleek lines of the 92 are destroyed with the look of the conversion kit lever. Wilson will convert a 92 to the original G specs using the original safety. Functionally its the same, but looks are the reason most of us buy guns anyway, right?

Which looks better? (Googled pics)
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

or

Attachment Attached File

Funny thing. It was really hard to find pictures of the right side decocking lever on modern G guns, like it's hard to find left side pictures of S&W revolvers. Wonder why?
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 9:19:45 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 9:40:24 AM EDT
[#11]
Is this the same case for the m9a3?
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 10:49:37 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By trexpro:
Is this the same case for the m9a3?
View Quote

All new production G models (92X, M9A3, LTT) have the conversion kit installed at the factory. The only ones that will have the original style are Wilsons.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 5:56:46 PM EDT
[#13]
One word of note that I've read: apparently if the little clockspring and detents fail in the current G conversion kit, the levers will fall down and engage the safety requiring the user to lift the now-floppy safety in order for the pistol to fire.

If the machined Wilson conversion fails, apparently the gun remains functional.

Personally, I'm not worried, especially about the detent, so the G conversion is just fine with me, even if the right side is ever so slightly uglier than it should be.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 9:10:10 PM EDT
[#14]

All new production G models (92X, M9A3, LTT) have the conversion kit installed at the factory. The only ones that will have the original style are Wilsons.
View Quote

Thanks for the info!
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 3:42:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 6:53:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By RKB_Armory:
I have the 92X Centurion. I haven't done the g-conversion, yet, but I will.

I have a review on my store if anyone is interested.

https://www.rkbarmory.com/review-beretta-92x-centurion/

Overall, I love it. But, there are some imperfections.
View Quote

The imperfections are because of Gallatin. Not really surprising.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 11:29:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Thanks all, for the pictures, info and discussion.
Good stuff here.

Link Posted: 5/20/2020 4:53:17 PM EDT
[#18]
I've done a couple of the G conversions. I consider my self pretty mechanically inclined and found them to be a PITA. You're going to wish you had three hands because of the spring loaded detents. I'd do 10 front take down pins before doing another G conversion.
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 6:35:20 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Spartan16:
I've done a couple of the G conversions. I consider my self pretty mechanically inclined and found them to be a PITA. You're going to wish you had three hands because of the spring loaded detents. I'd do 10 front take down pins before doing another G conversion.
View Quote

That was my feeling as well. When I included the cost of the conversion kit plus the amount of frustration I'd have that really helped cushion the cost of Wilson doing the work.
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 6:37:25 PM EDT
[#20]
I actually prefer the F/safety model. I use it when I'm holstering (then release it with the right-side lever when it's in place) or when I'm touching it for anything besides firing (like quickly installing a light on the rail). I also like putting it on safe when I set it down for any reason without unloading it, and also when unloading it for that matter. At this point my muscle memory activates the safety whenever I handle the Beretta outside active firing.

When I started carrying, the Beretta was the only pistol I owned and I would carry with the safety on and trained hard to make sure my muscle memory turned it off during the draw. It never slowed me down compared to the safety-less or frame-safety guns I later acquired. Now I carry safety-off but I still like the ability to use the safety.

If you are at all worried about having your gun grabbed, the Beretta is nice in that the safety is not where people think it is. People who are not familiar with the Beretta 92 and have the safety on try to press the slide release, then the mag release, then mess with the hammer before they try the slide safety. It's a great safety if you are worried about that. Most people aren't, and shouldn't really be, but it's useful to consider. Most holsters allow access to the right-side lever so you can easily and quickly put the safety on in a relatively innocuous motion, even through a shirt or other cover garment, if you think a grab might be a worry (like in a shoulder-to-shoulder crowd in an area known for pick-pockets).

To me, the F/safety is a nice extra in that it will do what the G does plus more. I've NEVER had the safety engage on when I didn't put it on. I do not carry it with the safety on. I've carried my Beretta M9A1, Vertec, or a 90-TWO on and off for over 7 years now, and for over a year I carried one of them daily (I worked at a gun shop in a bad area and wanted the extra controllability and ammo count).
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 7:03:37 PM EDT
[#21]
The advantage of the Beretta safety is it's pretty easy to manipulate it on safe and then off again without removing your thumb, essentially making it a decocker. That's the way I used my first 92.
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 7:23:37 PM EDT
[#22]
I did 3 G conversations in one night. Not hard once you get the first one.
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 8:54:37 PM EDT
[#23]

The original Beretta 92G right side decocker looked exactly like the F safety. The lever simply sprang back up to the fire position when you dropped the hammer. For years, Beretta didn't make a G model. More recently, Beretta has used what they call a G conversion kit on their reintroduced decocker models, and sell the kit for about $50 so people can retrofit their Berettas with safeties. This has allowed Beretta to manufacture the same slide for both F and G models because the earlier G guns had to have different machining in the slide for the decocker.

There are a unique few of us who feel that the sleek lines of the 92 are destroyed with the look of the conversion kit lever. Wilson will convert a 92 to the original G specs using the original safety. Functionally its the same, but looks are the reason most of us buy guns anyway, right?

View Quote

Do the original G models get any sort of a premium over a basic, current production 92 series pistol?

Link Posted: 5/20/2020 10:27:27 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Do the original G models get any sort of a premium over a basic, current production 92 series pistol?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The original Beretta 92G right side decocker looked exactly like the F safety. The lever simply sprang back up to the fire position when you dropped the hammer. For years, Beretta didn't make a G model. More recently, Beretta has used what they call a G conversion kit on their reintroduced decocker models, and sell the kit for about $50 so people can retrofit their Berettas with safeties. This has allowed Beretta to manufacture the same slide for both F and G models because the earlier G guns had to have different machining in the slide for the decocker.

There are a unique few of us who feel that the sleek lines of the 92 are destroyed with the look of the conversion kit lever. Wilson will convert a 92 to the original G specs using the original safety. Functionally its the same, but looks are the reason most of us buy guns anyway, right?

They used to command a premium before the M9A3 came out, but that was when the G-conversion used to be an involved process.

Now that the M9A3/92X became the norm I seriously doubt the G or F will command a premium in the future. It only takes a token amount of money/effort to swap between F and G now that Beretta has designed such a conversion into the basic design, so I doubt it'll make a difference. Get the one you want, and worry about resale later. You should be keeping (and not selling) any remotely decent guns anyway. All guns gain value over time so long as they aren't utter shit. Even the really irredeemably bad ones still gain significant collector value after a decade or so after they stop manufacturing (which happens quickly for most bad designs), so buy whatever you actually want and don't worry about resale. Life is too short to worry about a potential $100 profit over 10 years.

Guns may be the safest investment you could make as far as things you'll use hard before reselling. I'm pretty damn stupid, but even I have yet to sell a gun at more than a 10% loss even after some hard/abuse use. And the only ones I sold at a loss where to family/friends. That includes some home-gunsmithing attempts that failed by my (high) standards but didn't faze the recreational shooters I was selling to (and I was very sure to make any potential buyers aware of any minor issues with my home-gunsmithing work).
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 8:19:15 PM EDT
[#25]
When I bought my 92X Centurions "G" they were the same price as the "F" models so I of course bought the factory "G" models.
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 9:35:34 PM EDT
[#26]
Might be a dumb question but I've not owned a Beretta.  Is there any difference at all in the trigger (smoothness or pull) between the F and the G?  
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 10:06:27 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Might be a dumb question but I've not owned a Beretta.  Is there any difference at all in the trigger (smoothness or pull) between the F and the G?  
View Quote

Negative.  Zero difference.
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 8:35:19 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Negative.  Zero difference.
View Quote

+1

And the X models come with D springs and full metal triggers
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 6:00:24 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

+1

View Quote

Hmmmmm. Not sure about full metal trigger.

Can someone confirm?

Link Posted: 5/22/2020 6:36:41 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Can someone confirm?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

Can someone confirm?

I just looked at some giant resolution pictures of the normal M9 and the 92X. The trigger is definitely different, with no seam lines like the plastic one and a thinner profile.
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 2:24:27 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Can someone confirm?

View Quote

I own one.  There are no plastic parts except the hammer spring cap
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 3:12:52 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I own one.  There are no plastic parts except the hammer spring cap
View Quote

Thank you.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top