Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/13/2020 11:53:32 AM EDT
Been thinking about a 7 shot Ruger GP100.
I only owned traditional 6 shot revolvers, are the 7 rounders reliable? Timing issues? The walls between rounds in the cylinder must be thinner, are they still as robust as a 6 shot GP100?
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 12:01:50 PM EDT
[#1]
If it was me, looking for something more than a 6-shooter, I'd probably go with the N-framed Smiths, they're 8-shot .357 revolvers, and the N-frame is Smith's proven, tank-like .44 magnum revolver chassis.  Think 629/Dirty Harry.
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 12:03:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By intheburbs:
If it was me, looking for something more than a 6-shooter, I'd probably go with the N-framed Smiths, they're 8-shot .357 revolvers, and the N-frame is Smith's proven, tank-like .44 magnum revolver chassis.  Think 629/Dirty Harry.
View Quote

I hadn’t considered that option! I’ll look into that
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 12:05:12 PM EDT
[#3]
they are good to go

I love my 7 shot GP100 and I’m an old 686 snob !

.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 12:10:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Been thinking about a 7 shot Ruger GP100.
I only owned traditional 6 shot revolvers, are the 7 rounders reliable? Timing issues? The walls between rounds in the cylinder must be thinner, are they still as robust as a 6 shot GP100?
View Quote

I bought one a couple of months ago.  Timing and lockup are perfect.  Decent trigger pull single and double action.  I like the fiber optic front sight.  It's a very nice shooter.  Very pleasant with .38 Special and not bad with full magnum stuff.  I don't see why it wouldn't hold up just fine to a steady diet of magnum loads.   That said I normally shoot moderate reloads of 158 gr cast/coated bullets to around 900-1000 fps.
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 12:47:21 PM EDT
[#5]
I had a 7 shot GP100, 4.2".  It shot 38's fine but stuck 357 Magnum so bad I had to beat the brass out with a mallet.  I swore them off and I'll never buy another.  Lots of people have had issues with the 7 shot (many not all) and I'm sure Ruger will fix it if you get one and it's less than stellar.  I love the GP100 and have a 10mm MC and a 44 Special, but I didn't have a good experience with the 7 shot 357, but all the six shot versions were great.
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 3:04:46 PM EDT
[#6]
shooting some steel at about 90 yards

Ruger GP100 4.2" 90 yard steel
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 3:09:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By SDGlock23:
I had a 7 shot GP100, 4.2".  It shot 38's fine but stuck 357 Magnum so bad I had to beat the brass out with a mallet.  I swore them off and I'll never buy another.  Lots of people have had issues with the 7 shot (many not all) and I'm sure Ruger will fix it if you get one and it's less than stellar.  I love the GP100 and have a 10mm MC and a 44 Special, but I didn't have a good experience with the 7 shot 357, but all the six shot versions were great.
View Quote

mine works fine

i typically shoot 357mag handloads thru mine
mild to wild with win231, unique, 2400, and H110

never had stickey extraction, until i recently shot a bunch of 38specials thru it

afterwards, my favorite 2400 load had sticky extraction

i cleaned the (7) chambers really well and it works fine

I polished the internals, shimmed the hammer/trigger and put jn a wolf spring kit

it’s as smooth as my dash4 686
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 5:12:07 PM EDT
[#8]
@OP
Run away.  Run far away.  The 7-shot GP-100 has a documented design flaw.  They took the existing 6 shot and just moved the cylinders closer together to hold 7.  But there wasn't enough room.  Many types of in-spec ammo cannot be inserted in the gun because the rims will bind together.

I had one of these 7 shot models and couldnt load more than 5 rounds in it.  Sent it to ruger and they swapped me out for a 6 shot match champion model which has been flawless.  The 7 shot would have been kick ass if it would have fucking worked.

There's a thread over on the ruger forums I was a part of with several other members experiencing the same issue.  And some guys on the youtube demonstrating it on their guns.
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 5:22:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By giantpune:
@OP
Run away.  Run far away.  The 7-shot GP-100 has a documented design flaw.  They took the existing 6 shot and just moved the cylinders closer together to hold 7.  But there wasn't enough room.  Many types of in-spec ammo cannot be inserted in the gun because the rims will bind together.

I had one of these 7 shot models and couldnt load more than 5 rounds in it.  Sent it to ruger and they swapped me out for a 6 shot match champion model which has been flawless.  The 7 shot would have been kick ass if it would have fucking worked.

There's a thread over on the ruger forums I was a part of with several other members experiencing the same issue.  And some guys on the youtube demonstrating it on their guns.
View Quote

Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 5:33:16 PM EDT
[#10]
@OP
Run away.  Run far away.  The 7-shot GP-100 has a documented design flaw.  They took the existing 6 shot and just moved the cylinders closer together to hold 7.  But there wasn't enough room.  Many types of in-spec ammo cannot be inserted in the gun because the rims will bind together.

I had one of these 7 shot models and couldnt load more than 5 rounds in it.  Sent it to ruger and they swapped me out for a 6 shot match champion model which has been flawless.  The 7 shot would have been kick ass if it would have fucking worked.

There's a thread over on the ruger forums I was a part of with several other members experiencing the same issue.  And some guys on the youtube demonstrating it on their guns.
View Quote

nope

Ruger fixed that

I was aware of this when I bought it, and ran 500 rounds of DILLON XL650 handloads thru it

i tried to duplicate the trouble with various brands of 357 mag brass and never had any bind

since then, i’ve shot it almost every week for months

the gun is strong, very smooth and accurate and trouble free

Link Posted: 5/13/2020 7:03:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Derek45:

nope

Ruger fixed that

I was aware of this when I bought it, and ran 500 rounds of DILLON XL650 handloads thru it

i tried to duplicate the trouble with various brands of 357 mag brass and never had any bind

since then, i’ve shot it almost every week for months 

the gun is strong, very smooth and accurate and trouble free

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
@OP

nope

Ruger fixed that

I was aware of this when I bought it, and ran 500 rounds of DILLON XL650 handloads thru it

i tried to duplicate the trouble with various brands of 357 mag brass and never had any bind

since then, i’ve shot it almost every week for months 

the gun is strong, very smooth and accurate and trouble free

Would you hesitate to fire maximum loads out of it?
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 7:49:38 PM EDT
[#12]

nope

Ruger fixed that

View Quote

It was ammo dependent.  Some 357 mag ammo fit in them fine and others did not, even though it was under the max size for the spec.  Could be that the cases you're loading happen to be small enough to work.

Ruger cannot just fix the issue without completely redesigning the frame, too.  The center if the pinning cylinder for the gp-100 is a fixed distance from the bore.  That means you only have so much space to squeeze in your 7 rounds.  If you try to make the rounds further apart from each other, you end up fighting the laws of physics.  The only solution involves designing a new frame thats no longer a GP-100, that has the bore slightly further from the axis the cylinder spins around.
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 7:49:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By ryann:

Would you hesitate to fire maximum loads out of it?
View Quote

I bought it to fire max loads.

I have an Andy Horvath custom 5" 686 dash 4 that I've posted on here before.  too pretty to bang around.

I bought this new GP100 for a beater gun to abuse

I have fired a lot of max loads out of it.

125gr, 140gr, 158gr, 168gr, and 178gr

Max loads of H110/win296

Max loads of 2400 from my old speer book from the 1980's....which is much hotter than what today's books show.

here's 22grs H110 for 125grSJHP

My beloved custom 686 which also gets hot loads

Link Posted: 5/13/2020 8:09:15 PM EDT
[#14]

It was ammo dependent.  Some 357 mag ammo fit in them fine and others did not, even though it was under the max size for the spec.  Could be that the cases you're loading happen to be small enough to work.

Ruger cannot just fix the issue without completely redesigning the frame, too.  The center if the pinning cylinder for the gp-100 is a fixed distance from the bore.  That means you only have so much space to squeeze in your 7 rounds.  If you try to make the rounds further apart from each other, you end up fighting the laws of physics.  The only solution involves designing a new frame thats no longer a GP-100, that has the bore slightly further from the axis the cylinder spins around.
View Quote

the video I saw was blazer brass 38 special  IIRC

I don't typically shoot 38 special in my 357's

I load up 357 on a DILLON 550b or XL650 in batches of 1000

I heard about this, and saw the 38 blazer video before I bought it, I have a bunch of 7 shot speed loaders, and figured if it was a problem, Ruger would cover it.

I haven't found any that bind

I bought it Jan 14th, it's a model 1771

here's factory 125gr SJHP Federal

and my handloads, using starline brass.

Link Posted: 5/14/2020 9:45:33 AM EDT
[#15]
I have the gp 7 shot a older one that is supposed to have the rim binding issue.  I did have the problem with one box of geco 357 ammo.  Not the whole box but one time it bound.  The rest of the box worked.  Tried 10 different 38 special ammo and 357 and it all works,even blazer 38 special.  I don't think it's a big issue.  On that mentioned Ruger thread another gentleman said he tried 50+ different kinds of ammo and only found 2 or 3 that didn't work.
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 11:49:25 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By pajasonc:
I have the gp 7 shot a older one that is supposed to have the rim binding issue.  I did have the problem with one box of geco 357 ammo.  Not the whole box but one time it bound.  The rest of the box worked.  Tried 10 different 38 special ammo and 357 and it all works,even blazer 38 special.  I don't think it's a big issue.  On that mentioned Ruger thread another gentleman said he tried 50+ different kinds of ammo and only found 2 or 3 that didn't work.
View Quote

I’m getting from this thread it’s as much of an Ammo issue as it is mechanical. Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 12:10:32 PM EDT
[#17]
@OP

View Quote

I shoot mostly reloads using mixed headstamp .357 cases, old and new.  Never had a problem with rims binding.
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 8:56:15 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By ryann:

I’m getting from this thread it’s as much of an Ammo issue as it is mechanical. Thanks!
View Quote

No the ammo is in spec it's just the Sammi spec is really a wide range and most ammo isn't right at the max.  If it is it won't work in the GP 100
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 9:08:28 PM EDT
[#19]
I load everything up on a DILLON 550b or XL650

I can load them mild to wild

usually mixed brass, starline, winchester, federal, etc.

never had a problem

I rarely shoot 38 brass in my 357’s, but they’ve been fine also

Link Posted: 5/16/2020 1:48:06 AM EDT
[#20]

I polished the internals, shimmed the hammer/trigger and put jn a wolf spring kit

it’s as smooth as my dash4 686
View Quote

I don’t have the seven shot GP, but I do have the six shot Match Champion and after doing this the action went from alright to “oh wow this is great”.
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 9:32:11 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 9:32:38 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 3:26:50 PM EDT
[#23]

It was ammo dependent.  Some 357 mag ammo fit in them fine and others did not, even though it was under the max size for the spec.  Could be that the cases you're loading happen to be small enough to work.

Ruger cannot just fix the issue without completely redesigning the frame, too.  The center if the pinning cylinder for the gp-100 is a fixed distance from the bore.  That means you only have so much space to squeeze in your 7 rounds.  If you try to make the rounds further apart from each other, you end up fighting the laws of physics.  The only solution involves designing a new frame thats no longer a GP-100, that has the bore slightly further from the axis the cylinder spins around.
View Quote

I've got a 6inch 7shot GP100.  Never had a binding issue with multiple brands of .38.  However it binds like a motherfucker with various brands of .357, off top of my head PMC is the worst which of course I have a ton of.  Aside from the binding it shoots great, trigger is nice and accurate.

This thread reminds me I need to call Ruger and get it back to them, hopefully they will just swap it out for a 6shot.
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 5:23:10 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By dwb1987:
This thread reminds me I need to call Ruger and get it back to them, hopefully they will just swap it out for a 6shot.
View Quote

They let me chose any other GP-100 in 357mag as a direct swap.  I went with the most expensive one.  :D
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 6:18:31 PM EDT
[#25]

They let me chose any other GP-100 in 357mag as a direct swap.  I went with the most expensive one.  :D
View Quote

If I find one more brand that doesn't work mine will go back.  But so far the only one I have had trouble with is the geco and I haven't been able to replicate it with any other ammo.  Tried around 15 so far. When I bought mine I knew there was some issues but I also knew it was fairly rare, some guns are worse than others, I also knew Ruger was replacing them when there were issues.
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 7:53:34 AM EDT
[#26]
38 and 357 rims vary a lot from brand to brand. This is why there are multiple thicknesses of moon clips available for 38/357.
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 10:46:51 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By JSG:
38 and 357 rims vary a lot from brand to brand. This is why there are multiple thicknesses of moon clips available for 38/357.
View Quote

Specs are .428 to .440.  if they are over .435 they bind in many gp 100s.  Some gps will handle up to . 437.  Most ammo makers will have brass around . 433 in fact starline specifically says they keep theirs to . 433.
In my gp I was able to load 6 and use the box of Geco that I had.  On a side note that stuff was extremely hot.
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 9:01:49 PM EDT
[#28]
I have about 400 rounds through my GP100 7 shot .357. The only ammo that I had problems with was Geco and Precision One. Was not accurate and would not eject. Mine loves Remington 125 grain and 158 grain ammo so that's what it gets. Very accurate and reliable gun/ammo combo.

Overall a very good shooting revolver.  

Gun is fine, but a tad ammo sensitive. Use quality ammo, no problem.

Link Posted: 5/21/2020 9:29:01 PM EDT
[#29]
I shot the beejabbers out of the new 7-shot GP-100 last Saturday.
This is a Model 1782, 3"barrel w/unfluted cylinder. Very recent production.
No binding of any kind.
Used Remington, Fiocchi, Blazer brass, and Federal ammo.
Link Posted: 6/20/2020 7:36:46 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

They let me chose any other GP-100 in 357mag as a direct swap.  I went with the most expensive one.  :D
View Quote

Sent it back a few weeks ago and got email few days ago that Ruger is "electing" to swap it out with a new one.  I asked if I could swap it for a 6shot which the CSR said was fine and I should have a blued 6 inch 6 shot on my way shortly.  Using the ruger serial number lookup my 7shot was made in 2018 fwiw.
Link Posted: 6/21/2020 5:06:36 PM EDT
[#31]

I have a 7 shot L frame S&W.  The only issues have been Ammo related.  I also have an 8 shot 327 TRR8 on order.  7 shot speed loaders are ok, but the last time I checked only the HKS turn type were available.

I think the GP100 match champion is one of the best revolvers Ruger has ever built.  If you want more than 6 in a Ruger, the 8 shot super Redhawk seems like a better solution.  Many 8 shot revolvers can also use moon clips, it seems.
Link Posted: 6/27/2020 4:23:05 PM EDT
[#32]
Look at the S&W R8.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top