Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/14/2020 10:42:11 PM EDT
Interested in carrying my 686+ a bit more. Have two wishes.

Item 1: Ive grown to love the spurless hammer on my SP101 and would like to give the same treatment with my 686. I've considered removal of the factory spur which would mean id buy a spare to cut a id want to retain the ability to swap back down the road. I also saw the Apex revolution option which runs about $150 curious to get the thought of you folks and any reviews you might have.

Item 2: Sights. I am wanting to swap the front with a dot. My thought was a gold bead from SDM for the classic look. Thoughts and recommendations are welcome.
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 11:48:22 PM EDT
[#1]
What holster if you bob the hammer? The only time I bobbed the hammer was on a 60 pocket gun. I wouldn't do it again since I lost the single action and I like thumb break holsters.
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 12:09:53 AM EDT
[#2]
i have a copy of a combat master as well as a shoulder holster. I dont use thumbreaks on the belt the shoulder holster is a clam shell. Though part of the reason ill retain factory is to be able to swap back.
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 6:25:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
... I've considered removal of the factory spur which would mean id buy a spare to cut a id want to retain the ability to swap back down the road. I also saw the Apex revolution option which runs about $150 curious to get the thought of you folks and any reviews you might have....
View Quote

The Apex Evolution is a very high quality hammer, you will be happy with it.

Quoted:
... Sights. I am wanting to swap the front with a dot. My thought was a gold bead from SDM for the classic look. Thoughts and recommendations are welcome.
View Quote

I have both an XS Big Dot and Crimson Trace laser grips on mine. (With the limited capacity and slow reload of a revolver, maximizing hit potential is a high priority.) Very happy with both.
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 6:27:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 10mmillie:
What holster if you bob the hammer? The only time I bobbed the hammer was on a 60 pocket gun. I wouldn't do it again since I lost the single action and I like thumb break holsters.
View Quote

Kramer Leather makes outstanding horsehide holsters. As thin and almost as stiff as Kydex, and more comfortable. Your revolver will "click" in with good retention with no thumb break necessary. (Plus, it just isn't right to put a revolver in anything but leather.)
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 8:51:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Good choice. Post pics of your gun through the process.

I did something similar with my m66.

Meprolight front sight, fixed rear, trimmed the hammer(not a full bob but i have done a m64).

I use both leather and kydex. The kydex aiwb is the most comfortable way to carry a k frame.

Not a great pic
Attachment Attached File

My normal edc
Attachment Attached File

But i do have options
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 1:49:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By 03RN:
Good choice. Post pics of your gun through the process.

I did something similar with my m66.

Meprolight front sight, fixed rear, trimmed the hammer(not a full bob but i have done a m64).

I use both leather and kydex. The kydex aiwb is the most comfortable way to carry a k frame.

Not a great pic
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/433221/20191205_191846_jpg-1418161.JPG
My normal edc
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/433221/20200105_203156_jpg-1418162.JPG
But i do have options
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/433221/20200411_100447_jpg-1418163.JPG
View Quote

Which rear is that? Looks like the D&L which is another mod I was looking at. How do you like it?

I love my 686 had it for awhile typically carry a bottom feeder as a primary. Years past I carried a 2.5” python then a 19 then a 686. Sadly I let my 2 1/2 get away And when carrying a wheel gun reverted to a sp101. I picked up the 3” from a friend as a replacement. The 3” seems to be a perfect blend of short for carry long enough to enjoy. Balances better imho plus the full length ejector helps clear empties.
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 12:04:58 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Gunnie357:

Which rear is that? Looks like the D&L which is another mod I was looking at. How do you like it?

I love my 686 had it for awhile typically carry a bottom feeder as a primary. Years past I carried a 2.5” python then a 19 then a 686. Sadly I let my 2 1/2 get away And when carrying a wheel gun reverted to a sp101. I picked up the 3” from a friend as a replacement. The 3” seems to be a perfect blend of short for carry long enough to enjoy. Balances better imho plus the full length ejector helps clear empties.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Gunnie357:
Originally Posted By 03RN:
Good choice. Post pics of your gun through the process.

I did something similar with my m66.

Meprolight front sight, fixed rear, trimmed the hammer(not a full bob but i have done a m64).

I use both leather and kydex. The kydex aiwb is the most comfortable way to carry a k frame.

Not a great pic
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/433221/20191205_191846_jpg-1418161.JPG
My normal edc
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/433221/20200105_203156_jpg-1418162.JPG
But i do have options
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/433221/20200411_100447_jpg-1418163.JPG

Which rear is that? Looks like the D&L which is another mod I was looking at. How do you like it?

I love my 686 had it for awhile typically carry a bottom feeder as a primary. Years past I carried a 2.5” python then a 19 then a 686. Sadly I let my 2 1/2 get away And when carrying a wheel gun reverted to a sp101. I picked up the 3” from a friend as a replacement. The 3” seems to be a perfect blend of short for carry long enough to enjoy. Balances better imho plus the full length ejector helps clear empties.

Cylinder & slide
I love it. It was a little narrow on my 2.75" barrel and shot a little to one side so a little file work opened it up a little and centered up my zero. Elevation differences between ammo on this gun is minimal.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top