Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/21/2022 8:40:40 PM EDT
How does the first gen trigger stack up against a third generation?

I know the S&W third generation carries a lot of clout but I don't like the 3906's trigger. Does the first generation feel much better due to the lack of magazine disconnect and firing pin safety?

The 3906 I shot had a mushy DA trigger and a lot of take up on SA.

I'd be possibly interested in a cheap 59, but the prices on them are creeping towards M&Ps..
Link Posted: 2/21/2022 9:07:58 PM EDT
[#1]
A 3906 would probably be harder to find than a 39 or 59.  They only made them for three years.  

I found the later 3rd gen pistols with MIM triggers had better trigger pulls.
Link Posted: 2/21/2022 10:12:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
A 3906 would probably be harder to find than a 39 or 59.  They only made them for three years.  

I found the later 3rd gen pistols with MIM triggers had better trigger pulls.
View Quote

Sorry for the confusion. I've shot a 3906 and did not like it. I'm trying to compare it to a 59 to see if I might like it.
Link Posted: 2/22/2022 9:18:00 AM EDT
[#3]

Top left m59, third row far right m3906.
The 59 has a smoother trigger, but that's just due to age/use.
The 3906 has a better reset, but both are lights out shooters.
Link Posted: 2/22/2022 10:27:54 AM EDT
[#4]
I own all three generations.   I find no significant difference in triggers.
Link Posted: 2/22/2022 12:34:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
lack of magazine disconnect
View Quote

The 59 has a magazine disconnect.

Removing it doesn't change the trigger pull at all.

In my limited experience the first gen 59 has a slightly smoother pull than a third gen 915.  Very slightly.
Link Posted: 2/22/2022 1:05:25 PM EDT
[#6]
I own a model 39, a 439 and a 3906 (I like the single stacks). The 39 has the best trigger, followed by the 3906.

I’ve also owned several 3913 pistols and at least one 3953. I could never shoot the compact models well. They always shot low for me. I know it’s operator error, but i never could control them consistently.

I don’t care for the double stack S&W pistols. They are too fat for me.
Link Posted: 3/8/2022 2:08:23 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I know the S&W third generation carries a lot of clout but I don't like the 3906's trigger. Does the first generation feel much better due to the lack of magazine disconnect and firing pin safety?

I'd be possibly interested in a cheap 59, but the prices on them are creeping towards M&Ps..
View Quote

The first gen guns have a mag disconnect safety. The triggers are excellent though.
Link Posted: 3/8/2022 3:22:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

The first gen guns have a mag disconnect safety. The triggers are excellent though.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

All three generations have mag disconnects.
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 1:46:54 AM EDT
[#9]
I'd say the triggers are very similar.  Not great but not bad.
Link Posted: 4/24/2022 10:21:29 PM EDT
[#10]
I'd go for a 6906 personally, but that's just me. Let's talk about what you want, OP.

5906 is pretty good and it's a straight shooter. Everyone I've known who's had a 5906 has said that the trigger is great. Even my neighbor, who hates the 5906 (and other metal-framed S&W semi-autos) as a whole, said the trigger was amazing for him.

As another poster here has said, the 3906 is pretty rare and was only manufactured for three years. As far as I know, the only metal-framed S&W semi-auto that's rarer than the 3906 is the 5905. Therefore, I'd get the 5906 because you're likely to find one in good condition for less.

Unless you're a very serious collector of older S&W semi-autos, the 3906 isn't really going to matter at all.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top