Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » FN
Posted: 2/23/2023 7:31:24 PM EDT
Anyone have one of these yet? If so, thoughts? Review?
Link Posted: 3/2/2023 11:50:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DocGP] [#1]
Only first trip to range.

50 flawless rounds of 10mm.  Loud little lady!!

50 flawless rounds of 180gr 40 S&W through can (Don't do this.  I'm stupid) makes dandy subsonic loads.

Trigger is still "meh".  They made a big deal at the FN booth in a couple of the shot show videos I watched about how much they have improved it.  I can tell no difference between it and the 509.

Only problem so far is holster.  Still working on that.

Doc
Link Posted: 3/2/2023 4:30:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Took mine out once so far, my range report from 2/10..
I put 150 rounds through mine this morning.
50 - 180gr Blazer brass, 50 - 165gr 40s&w Remington, 50 - 170gr PPU JHP.
No hiccups, ran 100%.
As stated above, mag springs are STIFF, will take some breaking in.

So far, I'm happy with it.
Only complaint, the grip for me is slick, so I put a rubber sleeve on it, we'll see how that goes.
Link Posted: 3/2/2023 4:37:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By RSF45:
Took mine out once so far, my range report from 2/10..
I put 150 rounds through mine this morning.
50 - 180gr Blazer brass, 50 - 165gr 40s&w Remington, 50 - 170gr PPU JHP.
No hiccups, ran 100%.
As stated above, mag springs are STIFF, will take some breaking in.

So far, I'm happy with it.
Only complaint, the grip for me is slick, so I put a rubber sleeve on it, we'll see how that goes.
View Quote

Your trigger any better than mine??

Doc
Link Posted: 3/3/2023 9:28:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By DocGP:

Your trigger any better than mine??

Doc
View Quote

I dont have a 509 to compare it to.
It feels "ok" for a polymer pistol trigger, it ain't no Zev for sure.
Maybe it'll improve after being " shot in " ?
Well see, next time I take it out I'll pay more attention to it

Link Posted: 3/3/2023 9:32:56 PM EDT
[#5]
FN, much like H&K, has never been known for their OEM triggers, IMO.

Thanks for the posts & info, gents. It's been informative.
Link Posted: 3/5/2023 5:18:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Lucky- Napoleon Dynamite. I have looked all over and cannot find one.
Link Posted: 3/13/2023 9:53:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Are they going to release a non-threaded barrel for these?
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 7:07:44 PM EDT
[#8]
I bought one off GB yesterday, buy now for a grand, free shipping and no CC fee, which I thought was a good deal.

In black, as I wanted, as a contrast to my FN FNP .45 Tactical.

I get it in this week, and am looking forward to trying it out.  Should be nice, and all set up, as was my FNP, with sights and optics mount and threaded barrel.

Link Posted: 3/22/2023 5:13:25 AM EDT
[#9]
FYI Locked & Loaded has these for $899 currently. First price drop I've seen.

$920 shipped to TX
Link Posted: 3/27/2023 6:35:17 PM EDT
[#10]
I got mine in last week, and took it to the range.  I think it's about my favorite pistol now.

Shot 75 rounds, had one failure to extract when my buddy was firing it - not sure if he had a good grip on it or not.  Happened early in the shoot, and didn't happen again.

It was very accurate and easy to shoot.  Of the 60 rounds I fired, I think I missed a 6" plate at 15 yards maybe 5 times, which is very good for me.

Recoil wasn't bad - more snappy than pushing or anything like that.  Pretty loud, till I put the can on.  With the Osprey suppressor, it was very quiet, though I got a lot of blowback of oil/powder/carbon back to the face.

I fired 75 rounds of S&B 180 gr FMJ ammo, and 3 rounds of Winchester 180 gr JHP.  

Overall, I really like the pistol.  It's not cheap at a grand, but as with my FN FNP .45, it comes all set up with a threaded barrel, high night sights, and ready for a red dot.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/31/2023 2:54:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Got an FDE model yesterday.  Only put 40 rounds through it so far (200gr hard cast lead hot loads) just to check function.  No problems and the trigger is cleaner than my 509 Tactical.
Link Posted: 4/2/2023 6:06:30 PM EDT
[#12]
I was surprised how good the trigger is.  It looks cheap and chinsey, but actually works well and has a decently light pull.
Link Posted: 4/16/2023 10:17:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Had something happen to me that's never happen before - the front night sight died.  Maybe it was dead from the start and I just didn't notice it as it has a nice white dot and I've only shot it during the day, but last week I was drying firing at dusk then into the night, and with just the TV on, I noticed the front sight didn't glow in the dark.

I've never seen a night sight just not work when new.

I filled out the form on FN's site about a replacement front sight last Monday.  Got an email back that I'd filed the request, then nothing, which is pretty poor.  I'll call them tomorrow to light a fire under them.
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 11:21:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Not specifically with FN but I’ve seen night sights dead on arrival several times.  Most likely dead when you got it unless you smashed it after you got  it
Link Posted: 7/7/2023 11:56:33 PM EDT
[#15]
FN sent me a new, working, front night sight so it's back to Fully Mission Capable.

Now one thing I have noticed, and don't like, is the mag release.  It's sort of two stage on the left side, where you push it in with a slight stack, then need to push it in more to get the mag to release.  Like a two stage trigger.  While on the right side, it's a smooth, easy, single push with no additional push needed midway.

Anyone else notice this in theirs?
Link Posted: 7/27/2023 8:38:41 AM EDT
[#16]
In for 545; might trade or sell my HK45.
Link Posted: 10/5/2023 8:47:26 PM EDT
[#17]
I have decided on the 510 for my hiking gun in bear country and wound up selling my Smith M&P 10.  I liked it but the trigger on the 510 is a lot nicer.
Link Posted: 10/7/2023 11:20:34 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By RikWrhiter:
I have decided on the 510 for my hiking gun in bear country and wound up selling my Smith M&P 10.  I liked it but the trigger on the 510 is a lot nicer.
View Quote

Curious as to why you sold your S&W M&P 10.   I have been looking at the FN10 and would sell my M&P 10 and replace it with FN10.
Link Posted: 10/7/2023 12:31:26 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By MTShells59:

Curious as to why you sold your S&W M&P 10.   I have been looking at the FN10 and would sell my M&P 10 and replace it with FN10.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By MTShells59:
Originally Posted By RikWrhiter:

I had them both for some time until I was able to put enough rounds through the FN to trust it.  After that, the Smith just sat in the safe and I didn't shoot it and when I picked up a new Colt Python, someone offered to buy the Smith 10mm and I decided to sell it to fund the Python.
Link Posted: 10/8/2023 11:25:26 AM EDT
[#20]
Any issues with bulged brass out of it?

Guy on FN forum complaining that all his brass bulge at the bottom from unsupported barrel. Sounds like just hot handloads.

Need to reload for it. How's your brass looking?
Link Posted: 10/8/2023 11:55:22 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By mike56:
Any issues with bulged brass out of it?

Guy on FN forum complaining that all his brass bulge at the bottom from unsupported barrel. Sounds like just hot handloads.

Need to reload for it. How's your brass looking?
View Quote

I don't reload so I don't look at the brass that closely.  Next time I shoot it, I'll take a closer look.  That said, the few cases I have handled didn't seem abnormal.
Link Posted: 12/10/2023 6:09:01 PM EDT
[#22]
I have a Glock G40 that I really like, and the FN 510 is next on my list of desired purchases, although the budget is a little low right now. Do any of you have or have used a G40 enough to compare that to the 510, and if so such do you like better?

I originally wanted to get a Sig P320 XTen next, but after doing more research online I am quite sure I want the 510 instead.
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 11:30:11 AM EDT
[#23]
I am a big Sig fan, but read about the problems with the mags on the XTen. Went with the 510 since it has all the features I want. Sold my Glock 20, which I shot very well. Tried my 510 and it felt like it wanted to jump out of my hand every shot. I couldn't keep a good hold on it. Grip is slick to me, and I need some kind of palm swell. I have the large backstrap on, but still didnt feel right. I bought some Talon Pro grips to put on it to see if it will help. I still have high hopes for it, but it's not all I hoped. Heard the Sig XTen Comp shoots a lot better, but there's still the mag issue...
Link Posted: 2/5/2024 12:24:08 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By agilmore01:
I am a big Sig fan, but read about the problems with the mags on the XTen. Went with the 510 since it has all the features I want. Sold my Glock 20, which I shot very well. Tried my 510 and it felt like it wanted to jump out of my hand every shot. I couldn't keep a good hold on it. Grip is slick to me, and I need some kind of palm swell. I have the large backstrap on, but still didnt feel right. I bought some Talon Pro grips to put on it to see if it will help. I still have high hopes for it, but it's not all I hoped. Heard the Sig XTen Comp shoots a lot better, but there's still the mag issue...
View Quote

Man, totally different shooting experience for me.  A bit snappy, but that's it.

Doc
Link Posted: 2/7/2024 11:22:44 PM EDT
[#25]
Yeah same for me, no grip issues at all.  Medium hands - maybe if you have other sized hands it would be different.  

I really like my 510.  I’ve owned a FNP Tac 45 for a decade or so, and the 510 is similar in being set up as I want it - optic and suppressor ready out of the box.
Page Handguns » FN
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top