Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/25/2021 8:11:18 AM EDT
There’s another thread on magazines and there are a lot of posts about 47D’s being garbage.

Can anyone elaborate on the 47D magazine and is it a bad mag??
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 8:15:07 AM EDT
[#1]
I have several....I don't think they are bad mags at all. And I use them quite a bit.

I do tear all my mags apart and clean the regularly.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 8:32:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Arfcom turned on my beloved 47d mags.  I've never had an ounce of trouble out of them.  Some I've owned and used for 10 years or more.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 8:36:36 AM EDT
[#3]
They're 7 round mags crammed with an extra round. I load 7 in mine and they're fine.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 9:01:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Was talking the 8 rounders
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 9:10:26 AM EDT
[#5]
I saw that too and rolled my eyes. 47D’s were long considered the best 1911 mags there are. Yes some others have come out with advancements over them but that doesn’t mean that the mags that were the gold standard for a long time are now junk, they may have been dethroned, but they still work. I’d chalk it up to people spewing bullshit on the internet, there’s lots of that.

Link Posted: 1/25/2021 9:47:45 AM EDT
[#6]
They're still the majority of the 1911 mags I own and use.  I've never had a problem out of the 8 rounders ever.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 10:09:58 AM EDT
[#7]
If you use them as 8 rounders, you'll want extra springs.

Other than that, I've been using them exclusively since the early 1990s.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 10:14:23 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 10:39:38 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I saw that too and rolled my eyes. 47D’s were long considered the best 1911 mags there are. Yes some others have come out with advancements over them but that doesn’t mean that the mags that were the gold standard for a long time are now junk, they may have been dethroned, but they still work. I’d chalk it up to people spewing bullshit on the internet, there’s lots of that.

View Quote

This forum really needs a face-lift and like button.  This quote sums it up good.  Great mags, been using since the late 90s.  I buy etm mags now and springs for my 47d, I'm dang sure not throwing the 47d away because some influencer on twatter or instagag said they're junk.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 10:54:12 AM EDT
[#10]
The 47D was and is a good design. It has been surpassed by others even from Wilson themselves. I’ve got some that have ran years without issue. That said I’ve got high round count factory colt mags and they flat work until base plate welds break. The 47D will last much longer if used as a 7 since you wouldn’t be over working it. If your going to use it as a 7 just buy the 47 instead of the D. The problem is when the spring gets weak they still work for the most part but will damage the slide do to lack of pressure on the follower causing poor slide lock lift. This causes the slide lock to not engage properly which will round of or peen the cut. The ETM from Wilson has a lengthened tube and spring, is supposed to last longer since it’s designed as a 8 rather then a retrofit. Though I can’t comment as I’ve not had them long enough to know.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 11:08:00 AM EDT
[#11]
I've never had an issue with any of my 47D mags, and several of them are over a decade old and still kicking. That said, I did buy Wilson ETM mags for my carry rotation and moved the 47D back to my range bags or staged magazines in go-bags etc.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 11:29:34 AM EDT
[#12]
I used 47Ds since the 90s, at one time had somewhere around 30-odd.

No more.  Gave most of them away.

All mags require maintenance -- some brands and models more than others.  I saw 47Ds go through at least two different version followers.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 1:44:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Their springs are very weak, even when new.

That's my only complaint. With good springs, they run just fine and dandy as long as their early release technique of short circuiting the controlled round feed system doesn't cause you any issues.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 1:54:32 PM EDT
[#14]
I prefer the ETM HD/+P's.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 2:25:19 PM EDT
[#15]
No issues with mine.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 2:40:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Let me spew some internet "bullshit". I bought 6 to try out. The weak springs and slick followers could not control the last round with any mag in any pistol. Slide lock back with last round sitting loose. Repeatable.
I moved to another brand with zero issues since. To me they are over priced crap mags, if other folks like them more power to you.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 2:58:50 PM EDT
[#17]
I've had 47Ds not work reliably in Ed Brown, Wilson Combat, Les Baer, Nighthawk, Kimber, Colt, Springfield, and Sig Sauer.  With 8 rounds use over time they developed last round and slide lock issues. NOTE: we're talking about a sample size of six 47D mags.

My mag of choice is the Wilson ETM HD/+P.  The tube is extended for the extra round, and the spring has extra "tension" (or however you chose to define the springs upward force).

ETA: if I want an "inexpensive" magazine I prefer Chip McCormick 8rd Power Mags.  I would take these over 47Ds every day.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 3:04:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Wilson ETM HD/+P but they do stick out below the grip if your 1911 doesn't have a mag well ....

Link Posted: 1/25/2021 3:08:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
The 47D was and is a good design. It has been surpassed by others even from Wilson themselves. I’ve got some that have ran years without issue. That said I’ve got high round count factory colt mags and they flat work until base plate welds break. The 47D will last much longer if used as a 7 since you wouldn’t be over working it. If your going to use it as a 7 just buy the 47 instead of the D. The problem is when the spring gets weak they still work for the most part but will damage the slide do to lack of pressure on the follower causing poor slide lock lift. This causes the slide lock to not engage properly which will round of or peen the cut. The ETM from Wilson has a lengthened tube and spring, is supposed to last longer since it’s designed as a 8 rather then a retrofit. Though I can’t comment as I’ve not had them long enough to know.
View Quote

15 years ago I had a Kimber Royal that started failing to lock open on empty.  I wasn't being careful with my inspections and found out (too late) the slide lock had completely rounded out the slide lock notch on the slide.  It had to go back to Kimber for a new slide and refinish.  Oddly, Kimber did this all free of charge but stated to NOT use Wilson mags.

ETA: I tried to find my records on that old Kimber (sold a LONG time ago) to confirm the time period but couldn't find it.  I'm pretty sure it was 15 years ago.  Slide lock and last-round issues were consist with 47Ds in the guns listed in my other post.

ZERO issues with ETM HD/+Ps.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 3:55:38 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

15 years ago I had a Kimber Royal that started failing to lock open on empty.  I wasn't being careful with my inspections and found out (too late) the slide lock had completely rounded out the slide lock notch on the slide.  It had to go back to Kimber for a new slide and refinish.  Oddly, Kimber did this all free of charge but stated to NOT use Wilson mags.

ETA: I tried to find my records on that old Kimber (sold a LONG time ago) to confirm the time period but couldn't find it.  I'm pretty sure it was 15 years ago.  Slide lock and last-round issues were consist with 47Ds in the guns listed in my other post.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The 7rd model 47 doesn’t have the issues I’ve also had good luck with chip McCormick power mags. That said I typically just use factory type mags
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 4:17:12 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
If you use them as 8 rounders, you'll want extra springs.

Other than that, I've been using them exclusively since the early 1990s.
View Quote

I've loaded mine to 8 rounds and have noticed occasionally one will pop loose in my pocket.  Been meaning to buy new,  Wolff extra power springs.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 5:45:14 PM EDT
[#22]
No problem with 47D. I have more than 10. People automatically compare with new improved design that are made decades later, but the decades old 47D still holds well for most usage.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 8:30:37 PM EDT
[#23]
What about Ed Brown mags??? Are they better?
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 9:53:54 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
What about Ed Brown mags??? Are they better?
View Quote

In my limited experience with them: no.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 11:53:46 PM EDT
[#25]
Wow. And the Ed Brown have lifetime warranty also
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 12:26:30 AM EDT
[#26]
Tripp Research is my choice, bar none.
Springs last forever, the construction of the bodies are flawless, and the followers are a great design.  To the OP, the plastic Wilson followers would sometimes deform quickly and not actuate the slide stop.
I've shot a lot of USPSA single stack. Over 30,000 rounds through 5 Tripp mags with no issues at all. Springs are still stronger than new Wilson's
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/26/2021 8:42:05 AM EDT
[#27]
Meh, 47Ds have worked fine for me for decades.   The one mag that ran in everything from 60s Colt NM to Kimbers.  Kept up on mag spring replacement at regular intervals just like my 2011s  and any other high round count firearms .  All good.  Whatever floats your boat I guess.   1gen ETMs were shite for me.  Hope they got it together finally.  Traded those I had for 47Ds.

Link Posted: 1/26/2021 11:27:39 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Meh, 47Ds have worked fine for me for decades.   The one mag that ran in everything from 60s Colt NM to Kimbers.  Kept up on mag spring replacement at regular intervals just like my 2011s  and any other high round count firearms .  All good.  Whatever floats your boat I guess.   1gen ETMs were shite for me.  Hope they got it together finally.  Traded those I had for 47Ds.

View Quote

All of my ETMs were bought direct from Wilson last year so I'd assume they were newer than those you had?  I've not had any problems with them (yet).  The only other 1911 magazine design that has been virtually trouble free has been CMC PowerMags.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 3:07:27 PM EDT
[#29]
Here's video of Bill himself talking about the deficiencies of the 47D. It's not 1995 and there's no reason to buy these when much better designs now exist.

The 47D 1911 Magazine and Beyond: Gun Guys Ep. 20

Link Posted: 1/26/2021 5:24:09 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

All of my ETMs were bought direct from Wilson last year so I'd assume they were newer than those you had?  I've not had any problems with them (yet).  The only other 1911 magazine design that has been virtually trouble free has been CMC PowerMags.
View Quote
Oh yeah, mine were when they were first introduced. There have been changes since.  
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 5:36:13 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

They make good 7rd mags.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 1:22:56 PM EDT
[#32]
In all of the 47D mags I have had, I have never had any problems. They were well designed by the founder of Guncrafter when he worked at Wilson Combat.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 1:40:43 PM EDT
[#33]
Other than the mags supplied with my 1911s, all I own and use are Wilson 47Ds.  Out of thousands of rounds fired out of them over the last 20 years, I can't recall a single malfunction that I can attribute to the mags.

Link Posted: 1/27/2021 2:13:31 PM EDT
[#34]
For a long time they seemed to be recommended by a lot of people. They weren't 100% in some of my guns. CMC worked better for me.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 2:45:25 PM EDT
[#35]
The 47D would not go into my Springfield Armory milspec far enough to engage the mag catch.  All other mags worked fine.

Consider also that Wilson now owns CMC.  I have always used CMC and Novak in the .45 1911, for decades.  I think the Novak may have been a rebranded mag from a large mag house, I can't recall which one right now.
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 12:50:11 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
They're 7 round mags crammed with an extra round. I load 7 in mine and they're fine.
View Quote

Truth... I kept 3 new 47D's fully loaded alongside the downstairs coffee table gun for reloads. Several months later I went to shoot them and all suffered so much spring settlement they would cause stovepipes. Changed the garbage springs to thicker gauge 10% Extra Power Wolff Mags and swapped out the paper thin plastic follower for traditional metal ones. Never a problem since being loaded for long periods with 8 rounds... The newer designed Wilson 8 round "ETM" mags never a problem yet... McCormicks 10 rounders with the Rocket Wire Springs are solid too for full 10 round reloads. OEM Springfield 7 round mags have been solid too...
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 12:30:38 PM EDT
[#37]
well i just checked my 3 47d mags that have been loaded nearly a year. they seem fine and not loose but if i buy more ill get the upgraded etm's
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 12:35:29 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

That's the problem.  They are a 7rd mag posing as an 8rd mag.
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 11:55:01 PM EDT
[#39]
I mainly use Tripp and ETM mags now but used 47Ds for years and years with few issues

Replace the springs occasionally but that’s it.
Link Posted: 2/7/2021 10:30:43 AM EDT
[#40]
There are better options currently, but back when everyone was trying to fit 8 rounds in a mag designed for 7 the 47d was the best choice.  They still work, but others work better, including newer Wilson options.  The 47ds I have left are all fit with 47 hd+p followers and springs.  Basically a 7rd follower and the 10 rd mag spring.  Work much longer between needing spring changes.  If you get 47d and want to keep 8rd capacity, just buy extra springs and change regularly.  The factory springs in 47d do wear quickly.
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 3:28:13 PM EDT
[#41]
I had one fail in a class twice, wouldn't feed the first round.  I put it aside, played with it later and noticed the follower was a little off.  Emailed them, then sent it in and they replaced it.
This was through my Kimber Warrior, but that has been the only malfunction, not loading those 2 first rounds.  I have a bunch of the newer ETM mags, 47Ds, 10 rounders, Kimber Tac-mags, think it was just a fluke.
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 12:34:47 AM EDT
[#42]
I used to run whatever mags then upped to CMC....then I purchased a custom Bilby Advanced Combat Pistols 1911 15 or so YEARS ago from a guy in Hawaii .... it came with 10 unused Wilson mags... I ran that 45 HARD for years... won a state idpa championship..... still have same mags today... I have never changed a spring OR follower.... the mags and any 45 I have just Run.     Good Night

Ohhhhh... I broke a 10rnd mag, sheared off the Over travel leg... called them and the guy did Not want to be bothered by my issue he only wanted my address to ship me a new one next day!!
H
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 1:00:20 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

I will echo this: They are a 7-round magazine body with 8-rounds jammed inside courtesy of a shorter follower and a more compressed weaker spring.
When I first got a 1911  I was buying nothing but 47Ds, and then I started getting ETMs. Couldn't tell the difference in shooting with my S&W 1911. But then I started to get  failures to lock open on empty with a Springfield Champion. Exclusively within the 47Ds. Cleaned and lubed them all and no problems. Then I ran a different Springfield pretty dirty for 1000rds or so and was having failures to lock open on empty, and when it would the slide stop was only partially engaging. I didn't want to start peening the notch in the slide so I cleaned all my 47Ds. Was still happening, so I cleaned the Springfield. Ended up nipping a coil or two off the plunger spring to reduce the pressure on the slide stop and allow the weak ass 47D spring to push it up.  
I had a friend at the time with a very worked over Kimber and all he ever ran were 47Ds with no problems.  
I replaced all the springs on my 47Ds at some point and then they got weaker again and I was tired of constantly cleaning them to ensure function in all my 1911s so I just ordered springs and followers for a regular 47 and turned them all in to 7rd mags. I love them now. Super strong reliable spring, great last round feeding and ejection and they always lock open.
If I want more rounds I get the ETMs, or I put 10rd mags in there.

For the price difference, Just get the ETMs or something else.
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 7:01:31 AM EDT
[#44]
I tried to like the 47'D's.  I wanted to like them. I have experimented with the 47D's for years. I think the mag springs are weak and anemic. They would often not feed the last round in my Colt's.
Last year I gathered them all up and took advantage of the Ed Brown Magazine exchange program. I invested in their 7 rounders.
Could not be happier. And the last round always feeds now.
I also have a 10 rounder Trip that always works too.

John
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 8:29:09 AM EDT
[#45]
I always was issued the 47, seven shot and 10 shot mags during my 20+ years of using the 1911A1 in various forms in the military.  I purchased a few 47D mags out of pocket and they they always felt different when loading them up with 8 rounds so I always ran them with 7 rounds.  Besides GI mags I never used anything else Wilson mags.

Regards
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 9:04:55 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
There’s another thread on magazines and there are a lot of posts about 47D’s being garbage.

Can anyone elaborate on the 47D magazine and is it a bad mag??
View Quote

The springs.

Replace with Wolff +10% and make the 47D great again.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 4:49:07 PM EDT
[#47]
Never had an issue with mine, bought them because of the rave reviews here back in 2004.
Link Posted: 3/7/2021 11:59:16 PM EDT
[#48]
Lots of drama over well made magazines.

I've have 6, 47Ds that I bought in 2000. Used them in over 30 classes at Front Sight, NV. over the years.

They have been totally reliable. After thousands of rounds in S.A. and Colt 1911s,

I finally had to replace the springs, due to some not engaging slide lock on last round.

Sounds like internet FUDD to me.

P.S. also use the WC 7 rounders in my EDC Colt MKIV Series "80 Officer.
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 12:04:57 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Lots of drama over well made magazines.

I've have 6, 47Ds that I bought in 2000. Used them in over 30 classes at Front Sight, NV. over the years.

They have been totally reliable. After thousands of rounds in S.A. and Colt 1911s,

I finally had to replace the springs, due to some not engaging slide lock on last round.

Sounds like internet FUDD to me.

P.S. also use the WC 7 rounders in my EDC Colt MKIV Series "80 Officer.
View Quote
So, somebody with a different experience is an inexperienced fudd? Got it.
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 1:31:18 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I always was issued the 47, seven shot and 10 shot mags during my 20+ years of using the 1911A1 in various forms in the military.  I purchased a few 47D mags out of pocket and they they always felt different when loading them up with 8 rounds so I always ran them with 7 rounds.  Besides GI mags I never used anything else Wilson mags.

Regards
View Quote

When did you guys first get 47s? Late 80 early 90s?
@Joescuba
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top