Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/15/2020 2:21:09 PM EDT
So what's the opinions on these 2 current production models?

Obviously same capacity, weight is close enough to not matter.

I'd say looks and price are in the 442 favor, but do those outweigh the LCRs supposedly amazing trigger?

My goal for this is a gun I can slip in my pocket if I'm making a quick trip out. Right now I have several midsize 9mm's and a Sheild, but even with the Shield I don't necessarily feel like getting out the holster, putting on my belt, etc.
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 2:58:51 PM EDT
[#1]
442 is what I have and trust.  Trigger good enough for what the gun is intended for.
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 3:06:16 PM EDT
[#2]
I have both.   I normally carry the LCR in 9mm.

The 2 big differences in the 2.  The grip.  The LCR is larger and, at least in original form, is tacky and will grab clothing.  The 624/442 has a slim smoother grip and it easier to draw
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 3:27:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Had 3 lcr’s at one time and a 642 and a 442. The trigger is better on LCR, the 642 carries better. I now only have the 642.
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 3:37:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Does the 642 still have that clear coat finish on it? Does the 442 have any kind of finish over the bluing?

I remember reading a few years back about people having issues with the 642 clear coat flaking off
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 8:13:50 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm generally a Ruger revolver guy but in this case a Smith with a trigger job over the LCR.
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 8:53:52 PM EDT
[#6]
subscribed.

I've seen so many threads on the hammer pin breaking on 442/642's that I've been thinking about getting the LCR
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 11:50:05 PM EDT
[#7]
I had a 442 with a trigger job, and I never could warm up to it.

I have the LCR in 38 +P, 357, and 327 Fed Mag.

You should shoot both, but you can see what my opinion is...
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 11:54:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I had a 442 with a trigger job, and I never could warm up to it.

I have the LCR in 38 +P, 357, and 327 Fed Mag.

You should shoot both, but you can see what my opinion is...
View Quote
How do you like that 327? I bought one of the first Charter Arms revolvers when 327 came out but sold it when it looked like the round was dying.

Always thought it was an interesting little round
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 12:09:59 AM EDT
[#9]
LCR has a weird “false” trigger reset that I cannot stand... 642 and 442 for me. LCR stays in the safe.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 12:56:15 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

How do you like that 327? I bought one of the first Charter Arms revolvers when 327 came out but sold it when it looked like the round was dying.

Always thought it was an interesting little round
View Quote
I like it because you get 6 rounds in the LCR, and you can shoot several different loads. S&W 32 Long, 32H&R Magnum, and 327 Fed Mag. You can go hard or soft.

The 327 has made a comeback, and I also reload so, I am good.

I have a Ruger GP100 7 shot in 327 as well.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 6:56:05 AM EDT
[#11]
I should keep quiet since I've never held or fired the new Ruger LCR in .38spl. I own a S&W 442-1 no lock. Lightweight, DA only trigger which is heavy, but works for what revolver was made for. My oldest brother liked it so much he bought it's stainless steel brother the 642 w/lock. Both he and I are very pleased our recent purchases. Then youngest brother then buys a Ruger LCR (which I haven't seen other than pictures, held or fired) and raves about the amazing DA only trigger. Oldest brother says yeah, superior trigger than my 642 but I like the feel of the 642 better.

Bottom line pick up both models and compare what you like best. If I wanted a target style trigger I'd purchased another revolver. These 1 7/8" barrel revolvers are for up close and personal use. At 10yds I can stay in the A Zone on a IPSC target all day long with standard & + P loads. Longevity wise speaking Ruger's have a reputation for being built like a tank. I'm assuming the LCR is strong internally for a steady digest of + P loads. Maybe it's not? I carry +P loads in my 442 but shoot standard pressure loads at range not due to recoil but price. Both have Life Time Warranty's with each company so it's a win win if you'd ever have an issue. Good luck on your choice!
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 7:10:49 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
subscribed.

I've seen so many threads on the hammer pin breaking on 442/642's that I've been thinking about getting the LCR
View Quote
This is where I'm at as well.

My snub is a early 90s 640 on 357mag.  For a lighter gun I keep wanting a 642 or 442 but the hammer pin issues keep me from seriously looking.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 11:29:13 AM EDT
[#13]
Been carrying the Ruger LCR as a backup gun on duty (uniformed Patrol, 12 hr shifts) in my weak side cargo pocket for 3 years or so now. I also carry it off-duty when I "can't" carry a larger gun...

I chose the Ruger LCR over the S&W 642/442 for a couple of reasons: 1) The double action trigger is much better on the LCR. The S&W trigger is easier to stage, but very heave and stacky. The stock LCR trigger is lighter and smoother and better than the Apex kits a couple buddies have in their 642s. I have found myself more accurate with a stock LCR over an Apex'd 642. 2) The LCR at least gives you the option of having a visible front sight. I have an XS front sight that makes for quick acquisition and is reasonably accurate within 15 yards. The no contrast, diminuitive ramp and gutter sights on the 442/642 just don't do it for me.

I only have about 300 or so rounds through the LCR because it's just a BUG for me, but no hiccups or other issues so far. It's not as handsome as the S&W, but it carries nice and handles 135gr +P Gold Dot just fine.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 11:54:07 AM EDT
[#14]
From my experience, I prefer the trigger on the Smiths over the LCR. For me, the reset feels more consistent/positive in the smiths and I tend to short stroke the LCRs under rapid fire. (Training issue of course)

Also, I recommend a 642 over the 442 for the simple fact that you get a stainless cylinder with the 642. The  442’s cylinder are carbon steel and tend to rust.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 9:36:24 PM EDT
[#15]
So is the hammer stud breaking a wide spread issue, or slightly over blown?

If I got a S&W I'd want one without a lock, but have no interest in the ultra light scandium frame model
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 10:59:28 PM EDT
[#16]
I've owned both, but prefer the trigger reset on the S&W.  I also found myself short stroking the LCR's at times.

I believe the hammer stud issues are only in a very small sampling.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 11:26:56 PM EDT
[#17]
I don't own either, yet.  But I'm giving the LCR in 327 a seriously hard look. When I held both I preferred the sights of the LCR over the 442/642 by a wide margin, but my muscle memory is in favor of the S&W as that's what all my other wheel guns are.
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 12:11:00 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

If I got a S&W I'd want one without a lock, but have no interest in the ultra light scandium frame model
View Quote
Hammer stud failure happened to my 442 after less than 1 year of ownership. Been at s&w 2.5 months now and still no word.

I liked j frames but I might just sell it when I get it back.
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 11:10:19 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I don't own either, yet.  But I'm giving the LCR in 327 a seriously hard look. When I held both I preferred the sights of the LCR over the 442/642 by a wide margin, but my muscle memory is in favor of the S&W as that's what all my other wheel guns are.
View Quote
You can easily replace the sights on the LCR too. I ordered some fiber optic front sights for about $30 a piece.

I have an XS Big Dot on my 357, but I might swap it out after I try the FO posts.
Link Posted: 3/8/2020 3:26:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote
I’ve had a 442 for 8 years, this is the first time I’ve heard of the hammer stud breaking. I wonder if it’s a bad lot of pins.

Mine is my backup gun. Lives on my ankle 40 hours a week in a leather holster. Always worry that the mag chloride they use in the winter here is going to cause problems but the finish is holding up well.
Link Posted: 3/25/2020 10:30:58 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
From my experience, I prefer the trigger on the Smiths over the LCR. For me, the reset feels more consistent/positive in the smiths and I tend to short stroke the LCRs under rapid fire. (Training issue of course)

Also, I recommend a 642 over the 442 for the simple fact that you get a stainless cylinder with the 642. The  442’s cylinder are carbon steel and tend to rust.

View Quote

Not all, my 2011 Smith 442-1 Pro has a blackend stainless steel cylinder.  My early 90s 442 no dash did have a carbon steel cylinder.

CD
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top