Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/14/2020 5:22:15 PM EDT
Not surprising, but about 10 minutes after the 429 DE debuted, the crickets started chirping.  Good thing it's design was so superior to the 440.  
Link Posted: 3/14/2020 7:38:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/14/2020 11:03:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MrBlackCat] [#2]
Any idea as to why this round isn't faster?  Is it not maxed out maybe?  Honestly, when shooting it back to back with 50 AE, it seems very hot, BUT across the chronograph, the energy just isn't there.

Since I don't reload yet, I think I will start stocking up on Glacier ammo for it before it gets really expensive.

MrBlackCat
Link Posted: 3/14/2020 11:18:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: backbencher] [#3]
What does it do that .41 Mag hasn't been doing already for what, 55 years?

ETA:  Ok, I see now it's a .50 AE necked down.
Link Posted: 3/16/2020 9:56:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By MrBlackCat:
Any idea as to why this round isn't faster?  Is it not maxed out maybe?  Honestly, when shooting it back to back with 50 AE, it seems very hot, BUT across the chronograph, the energy just isn't there.

Since I don't reload yet, I think I will start stocking up on Glacier ammo for it before it gets really expensive.

MrBlackCat
View Quote
Possibly the ammo is loaded with the same 'ol H110/296 powder like has been done with magnum pistol cartridges for the last 50 years.  That's what CorBon was using for the 440.
When you neck a case down like that, you really need to run a slower powder to take advantage of it.
H110/296 may be fine in the 50AE, but the 429 would probably work best with slower powders like 300-MP, 1680, 5744, LT-30 etc.

Tony
Link Posted: 3/16/2020 11:47:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By TonyRumore:

Possibly the ammo is loaded with the same 'ol H110/296 powder like has been done with magnum pistol cartridges for the last 50 years.  That's what CorBon was using for the 440.
When you neck a case down like that, you really need to run a slower powder to take advantage of it.
H110/296 may be fine in the 50AE, but the 429 would probably work best with slower powders like 300-MP, 1680, 5744, LT-30 etc.

Tony
View Quote
I have a 429 barrel and some ammo for it.  I bought it out of principle... I was actually going to take Mt Lion with it this winter but the trip didnt happen.  Its pretty accurate but I'm with you guys, it should be faster.  Tony may be on to something with it being too slow of a powder.  I also think the 6" barrel hurts it.
Link Posted: 9/30/2020 1:05:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Tony-

What are the differences between the 440 Corbon and the 429 DE, and what killed the 440? Looking at the 429 it does look like there is room for improvement as you suggested using a slower powder. Thanks!

A few weeks ago I saw quite a few new stainless 429 DE's on Gunbroker, and they have been sold.

Thanks for your info!

Ronnie_B
Link Posted: 9/30/2020 6:09:46 AM EDT
[#7]
I have mentioned this elsewhere, but it should be here also...
A couple of weeks ago when I called Magnum Research to check the status of the 10" barrels (which are delayed, but coming) I was told that the 429 DE was submitted and in line to be SAAMI certified.  The expectation is that another ammunition manufacturer will then pick the ammo up and it will move from the ultra-rare near wildcat status to a low-volume mainstream.
I can easily imagine the handgun hunters picking this up as a very well suited hunting cartridge, though I am not suggesting it will get "big" as the Handgun Hunters aren't a high volume slice of the overall pie.  I do think the round will be sustainable though.

MrBlackCat
Link Posted: 10/7/2020 12:00:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By MrBlackCat:
I have mentioned this elsewhere, but it should be here also...
A couple of weeks ago when I called Magnum Research to check the status of the 10" barrels (which are delayed, but coming) I was told that the 429 DE was submitted and in line to be SAAMI certified.  The expectation is that another ammunition manufacturer will then pick the ammo up and it will move from the ultra-rare near wildcat status to a low-volume mainstream.
I can easily imagine the handgun hunters picking this up as a very well suited hunting cartridge, though I am not suggesting it will get "big" as the Handgun Hunters aren't a high volume slice of the overall pie.  I do think the round will be sustainable though.

MrBlackCat
View Quote

Good to hear.  I was actually hoping to get a 10" barrel before I went up to CO to go on my cat hunt the first week of december.  I dont think that's going to happen now but maybe someday.

I actually like thee round.  I own most of the "BIG" handgun calibers (460 smith and 500mag) as well as almost every flavor of desert eagle there is.

I hope that someone gets the ammo out other than MR, but i've bought lots of boutique stuff so it's not bothering me at the moment.
Link Posted: 10/7/2020 8:59:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By IamMunneY:

Good to hear.  I was actually hoping to get a 10" barrel before I went up to CO to go on my cat hunt the first week of december.  I dont think that's going to happen now but maybe someday.

I actually like thee round.  I own most of the "BIG" handgun calibers (460 smith and 500mag) as well as almost every flavor of desert eagle there is.

I hope that someone gets the ammo out other than MR, but i've bought lots of boutique stuff so it's not bothering me at the moment.
View Quote

I am keeping my fingers crossed, but I don't think they (MR) even know when they will be finished.  A lot can happen between now and December.  The moment they are shipped, I will come back and post here.  If the SAAMI certification goes through, I will get a chamber reamer made as well... then I will ream an extra .44 Magnum 10" barrel I have waiting for just that.

MrBlackCat
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 1:39:14 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm starting to wonder if anyone is even working at MR other than the insta grams guy. Everyone asks in his posts where to buy because they can't find anything in stock.

A few months ago gun broker went from 4 pages of new barrels and conversions kits to barely 1 page and no one has received any new stock since.

When I called about the 10" barrels, I asked about getting some case color 6" ones too. He said there was 2 months lead time on them, that has since passed  just like 10" barrels being available.

Can't really imagine with the craziness going on in the firearms world that desert eagles would be the thing everyone is running out to get. It doesn't add up.
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 4:25:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 5:47:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MrBlackCat] [#12]
Originally Posted By RiverSwine45:

Can't really imagine with the craziness going on in the firearms world that desert eagles would be the thing everyone is running out to get. It doesn't add up.
View Quote

Actually sales are up by several hundred percent for Desert Eagles and demand can't come close to being met.... since April.  I was expecting the opposite as I consider them Luxury Items to say the least, which usually get cut first when money gets tight, but the opposite has occurred.  They are maxed right now.  From that I would suspect that there is no overage for kits and spare parts.

MrBlackCat
Link Posted: 11/30/2020 6:57:15 PM EDT
[#13]
The MR rep just informed me that the 10" 429DE barrels are pushed back to Feb of 2021.
Also, at this time there are no plans to make any 429DE barrels for the L5 guns.

Tony

Link Posted: 11/30/2020 7:05:11 PM EDT
[#14]
What the round really needs is to add a few platforms. All we need is some clever individual known for cramming big bore stuff in weird guns to make a few

I was surprised they released it honestly. It's a niche round in a niche gun. I have no idea why they chose it over the 440 Corbon but I hope they hold onto it long term. Even if they only do small runs of guns and barrels longevity by itself is sometimes enough.
Link Posted: 11/30/2020 8:43:17 PM EDT
[#15]
The MR rep just informed me that the 10" 429DE barrels are pushed back to Feb of 2021.
Also, at this time there are no plans to make any 429DE barrels for the L5 guns.

Tony

View Quote

Thanks for the update... I have been to busy to call for a while now.
I still have an extra 10" 44 Mag that could be re-chambered if this does fall through... I hope it doesn't.

MrBlackCat
Link Posted: 6/28/2021 4:46:15 PM EDT
[#16]
I called in about the 10" 429s today. We still sitting on the back burner
They are going to do it for us but they having trouble taking a machine away from making production guns. Which I can understand.

So in the meantime I now have a 6" barrel coming and some brass as well. I've already run some 50AE brass through the 429 dies and they came out very good but I wanted a bag of original too.

Now it's time for me to get serious about some load development I guess. There really isn't much talk on the forums, actually all there is was a couple different guys that used 296 and H110. I'd kinda like to get that quick load program and probably will soon but I'll need to get a computer first since I only have a tablet and my phone

Tony

View Quote

The slowest pistol powder I have on hand is IMR4227. Do you think that would be good for this or should I start hunting stuff on your list there?
Link Posted: 7/3/2021 8:48:14 AM EDT
[#17]
There are two 6 inch 429 DE barrels on gunbroker right now. One polished chrome and one brushed chrome.
Funny thing, is they are two piece barrels. Did MR start making two piece barrels again or are they having some made by IMI again?
Link Posted: 7/3/2021 11:46:02 AM EDT
[#18]
@Jeeps and Guns

I was going to post about this in your Israel vs US 10" barrel thread but you beat me on mentioning it in this one let me tell ya about it.

My barrel got here the other day, super fast and well packaged.

As I was taking it out of the well oil preserved bag I first noticed the pin in the lower lug, oh, it's a 2 piece. Then I saw that it had flutes cut down the sides which I wasn't expecting, I was kinda disappointed with that but since I didn't ask I was blaming myself for it. The caliber roll mark was well done, centered and square. Couldn't find anything wrong, looked good, so I finished wiping it down trying to get over the flutes. It also has the ridiculously tall front sight that has been a complaint since the caliber was released.

Grabbed my pistol and popped the 44 mag barrel off and installed the new 429DE with no issues and then it hit me, this ain't right.

The left side flat is over 1/8" taller than the right side making the muzzle end completely catty wampus.

Behold the limited edition bells palsy barrel

Attachment Attached File

Hopefully it's just a 1 of 1 limited run
Link Posted: 7/3/2021 1:38:21 PM EDT
[#19]
How much did you pay for that excellent piece of union machining again?
Link Posted: 7/3/2021 9:55:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By backbencher:
How much did you pay for that excellent piece of union machining again?
View Quote

Are unions a thing in Israel?
Link Posted: 7/3/2021 10:13:19 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By RiverSwine45:  Are unions a thing in Israel?
View Quote

That I don't know - assumed it was cut in NY?
Link Posted: 7/3/2021 10:25:19 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By backbencher:

That I don't know - assumed it was cut in NY?
View Quote

My understanding is the 2 piece barrels are from Israel and I don't think the good folks at MR in Pillager Minnesota are unionized either. I am quite confident they will get me fixed up, it's always a good experience talking with them.
Link Posted: 7/7/2021 5:37:27 PM EDT
[#23]
WOW!  That is a strange issue with that barrel.  I can't imagine what caused that unless it slipped in a jig during machining.
Again, as far as I know, there hasn't been any production two part barrels made in the US.  These are all Israeli as far as I know.  Maybe someone went outside normal channels on some.  My 429 barrels aren't perfect, but poorly indexed machining isn't one of the imperfections.  That is pretty bad.
I hope they sort that out quickly for you.

MrBlackCat
Link Posted: 10/28/2022 8:32:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By GarrettJ:
Yeah, I was just discussing on another forum.

Due to the cost per round, and the limited numbers one is likely to see, this cartridge will be a reloaders proposition. Seems like it’s been out a little over a year now, and I have yet to find any published reloading data. The closest thing I’ve found was someone doing some Quickload workups. And those topped out with a 240 gr. bullet at around 1500 fps, which is still within .44 Mag territory.

It’s an ok concept, but the advantage over the .44 Mag seems marginal at best.
View Quote

If ever in doubt about a load for _nearly anything_, call Sierra Bullets.  They only ever failed on my 1871 rolling block in 8x58RD.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top