Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/11/2020 10:59:23 PM EDT
So I have a 22/45 I’ve owned have 20 plus years, very reliable. Recently I bought a 22/45 MKIII barrel that according to the seller was threaded by Gemtech. Cannot get the latch to lock with the new barrel assembly, are they compatible? Would like to use it as a host.
Link Posted: 11/11/2020 11:39:40 PM EDT
[#1]
I feel like when I bought my Tactical Solutions Pac-Lite it said sometimes slight fitting is needed. They also say you sometimes need to tap the upper on with a soft hammer.

What specifically is not fitting? Is the latch just not closing? Are you sure the hammer is in the right position?
Link Posted: 11/12/2020 12:11:27 AM EDT
[#2]
The new barrel assembly is undoubtedly tight on the frame/grip, I had to tap it pretty good with my hand to seat it. Yes hammer is in proper position, I can take new barrel off and replace with the original and latch will lock normally. The new barrel has a loaded chamber indicator and the new bolt is machined to accommodate it, that's the only difference I can see. When I bought the MARK III barrel setup I never questioned it fitting my existing 22/45 frame.
Link Posted: 11/12/2020 12:23:16 AM EDT
[#3]
On some of the guns I think you had to have the trigger depressed to latch it.

He does it at the end of this video
Link Posted: 11/13/2020 11:36:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Yeah I'm reading some different forums about the 22/45 frame and the MKIII upper/barrels assemblies. From what I can gather the frame and barrel should be compatible but there may be a difference in the mainspring? I can reassemble the original frame / barrel and the latch locks fine, gun cocks and fires. Put the MKIII barrel on latch goes in but once you pivot it to close it will not go any further. Maybe I need to buy a mainspring specific to the MKIII, if anyone knows for sure I'd really like to know.
Link Posted: 11/14/2020 1:23:07 AM EDT
[#5]
You ask this over at Rimfire Central? There has to be a Ruger Mk-pistol guru who could answer this over there.
Link Posted: 11/14/2020 10:47:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You ask this over at Rimfire Central? There has to be a Ruger Mk-pistol guru who could answer this over there.
View Quote

I'll do that thanks for the reference.
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 2:21:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Just an update, I did get some help but at Rimfire  but some was conflicting however a couple told me yes a MKIII will fit a MKII. So I broke out the set of chinesium needle files I bought 10 or 15 years ago and duplicated the wear pattern from the original upper to the MKIII. I went pretty slowly and now it will latch and lock and cock and fire. So yes they do interchange and yes you will likely have to fit/file to get there.

Next question how quiet will this setup be with a YHM Stinger and Eley subsonic?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top