Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/22/2021 2:45:15 PM EDT
Noticed that the right side slide release on my new 2.0 is basically unusable. It takes a crazy amount of force to release the slide, the left hand side is easy to use. Is this common with the new style slide lock? The RH side release on my 1.0 is just as easy as the left side.

I'm left handed so I always dropped the slide using my support hand thumb as I was bringing the gun up to shoot. Guys I'll have to go back to the sling shot method. Other than that I like the 2.0, it's more accurate than the two 1.0s I have.
Link Posted: 5/22/2021 2:49:48 PM EDT
[#1]
if you look where the slide gets caught back by the slide release, it’s a small sheet metal tab

.....you can lightly stone and polish the engagement surface to smooth things out

Link Posted: 5/22/2021 4:51:19 PM EDT
[#2]
I had the same issue with my 2.0 Shield, after about 1k rounds it loosened up to what I would consider normal.
Link Posted: 5/22/2021 7:53:41 PM EDT
[#3]
It breaks in quite nicely after about 1.5k rounds.

I'm assuming they made it that way because that was a complaint about the 1.0's. What's funny, is that glock users think that the  "slam forward" is a feature or just something "good" that happens.
Link Posted: 5/22/2021 7:57:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks guys. I only have 120rds through the gun right now so it's not even close to being broken in. With the ammo situation it might take awhile to get this one broke in as I don't want to dip into my stash anymore than I need to.
Link Posted: 5/23/2021 7:45:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Members on the M&P forum (and other gun related forums) keep saying the 2.0 slide lock/catch is not intended to be operated as a slide release.  The 2.0 was intended to chamber a round after running it empty/inserting a new magazine by pulling the slide to the rear and letting it go forward from the force of the recoil spring.

As others have said, after lots of use (meaning shooting and using two thumbs/fingers to force the left side slide lock lever downwards to release the slide mine has become easy enough I can go it with one thumb now.
Link Posted: 5/23/2021 8:21:45 AM EDT
[#6]
It's an easy fix, you can YouTube it.
Using a small punch & small hammer, remove the slide lock retention just forward of the slide lock lever on the left side.
This is completely reversible and makes both slide release levers much easier to use.

Tomac
Link Posted: 5/24/2021 12:31:47 AM EDT
[#7]
It is a slide stop, not a slide release. I wouldn't mess with it, it is working as designed. Proper technique is to pull the slide to the rear to chamber a round. It's in the manual.

Attachment Attached File

https://snwcdnprod.azureedge.net/sites/default/files/owners-manuals/M%26P_M2pt0_Pistol_031220_CORE_3012548.pdf
Link Posted: 5/24/2021 1:03:40 AM EDT
[#8]
I think that’s semantics of use. If they didn’t intend for it to be used, they wouldn’t have bothered adding an ambidextrous option, nor adding grip to the top of the lever.

My gun is at the 1500-2000 mark. The left side is smooth now, the right side is still unusable but I never tried to wear it in.
Link Posted: 5/24/2021 8:28:43 AM EDT
[#9]
I agree with the it's a slide stop crowd.  However, over time and rounds fired my full size 2.0 has loosened up where either slide can be used as a release.
Link Posted: 5/25/2021 12:32:07 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I think that’s semantics of use. If they didn’t intend for it to be used, they wouldn’t have bothered adding an ambidextrous option, nor adding grip to the top of the lever.
View Quote

They did intend it to be used. As an ambidextrous slide stop. A lefty would rack the slide with their right hand and push the slide stop up with their left thumb, hence an ambi slide stop.
Link Posted: 5/25/2021 6:26:40 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

They did intend it to be used. As an ambidextrous slide stop. A lefty would rack the slide with their right hand and push the slide stop up with their left thumb, hence an ambi slide stop.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

As a lefty this is how I use the right side slide stop lever. One of several reasons I  moved up to Gen 5 Glocks and 2.0 Smith.
Link Posted: 5/25/2021 8:06:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Both of my 2.0s loosened enough to be able to reliably engage them with the thumb after about 400 slide cycles.
Link Posted: 5/30/2021 2:30:56 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

The grip texture is on the top of the “slide stop”, meaning it is clearly meant to be pushed down, to release the slide.
Link Posted: 5/30/2021 7:32:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

The grip texture is on the top of the “slide stop”, meaning it is clearly meant to be pushed down, to release the slide.
View Quote

This is my thought. If it wasn't meant to be used as a slide release why put one on the right side and complicate things. I'll go back to grasping the slide with the 2.0 so all my guns are manipulated the same.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top