Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/27/2018 9:47:55 PM EDT
Hey all, finally pulled the trigger on my first revolver. I was eyeing up a 629 deluxe from grabagun and went into my local scheels when I had some spare time today and found a 29-2 with a 4” barrel that either has never been shot or has been shot no more than a handful of times. Serial number tells me it was made in 1980. I have no idea how to post pics otherwise I would. Anywho, I’m considering getting some cocabola or rosewood checkered grips from Hogue on it. Any other brands I should look at? I’m new to the revolver world
Link Posted: 10/27/2018 9:57:57 PM EDT
[#1]
oooooo, I'd like to see that one.  If you know how to email pics, you can email them to me at [email protected] and I'll post them up here for you.
Link Posted: 10/27/2018 10:24:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
oooooo, I'd like to see that one.  If you know how to email pics, you can email them to me at [email protected] and I'll post them up here for you.
View Quote
Sent, should be 2 pics
Link Posted: 10/27/2018 10:30:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Bill Jordan grips

Read up on the Keith bullets too
Link Posted: 10/27/2018 10:34:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/27/2018 10:35:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Bill Jordan grips

View Quote
Like the guy from realtree?
Link Posted: 10/27/2018 11:38:37 PM EDT
[#6]
WTF is that obscene lever beside the hammer? IS THAT A SAFETY ON A REVOLVER?

eta I see now that it's a Cylinder Release. Thought they'd forced us to put safety levers on wheelguns.

My heart can continue beating now. Carry on.
Link Posted: 10/27/2018 11:44:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
WTF is that obscene lever beside the hammer? IS THAT A SAFETY ON A REVOLVER?

eta I see now that it's a Cylinder Release. Thought they'd forced us to put safety levers on wheelguns.

My heart can continue beating now. Carry on.
View Quote

Yea I’m not a big fan of it, kind of a solution in need of a problem if you ask me.
Link Posted: 10/27/2018 11:54:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Before you spend $150 on Hogue grips, check out Culina grips.

Culina

These are a recent purchase, on my 29-6

Link Posted: 10/28/2018 12:01:22 AM EDT
[#9]
Those look great, thanks for the tip!
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 12:06:28 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Those look great, thanks for the tip!
View Quote
They are signature grade, Turkish walnut with a tung oil finish.  About $150.
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 11:54:56 AM EDT
[#11]
Im really happy with my Altamont set.
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 12:06:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Im really happy with my Altamont set.
View Quote
I just checked out their site and the American walnut coke bottles look really nice
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 3:25:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Excellent first choice of a revolver

I would put some rubber grips on it if it was me.  Wood is for showing, rubber if for shooting; especially for a heavy recoiling revolver like 44 Mag.

Link Posted: 10/28/2018 4:07:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I would put some rubber grips on it if it was me.  Wood is for showing, rubber if for shooting; especially for a heavy recoiling revolver like 44 Mag.

https://i.imgur.com/WW9XWZpl.jpg?1
View Quote
I agree totally, a guy at my range that got the wheels turning for a revolver let me shoot his .357 with rubber grips and they were great for shooting and if I would’ve gotten a stainless model I would get rubber grips because I think they look better on stainless than a blued gun. But I don’t know if I can handle looking at rubber grips on a blued gun it just doesn’t look right to me
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 5:41:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I agree totally, a guy at my range that got the wheels turning for a revolver let me shoot his .357 with rubber grips and they were great for shooting and if I would've gotten a stainless model I would get rubber grips because I think they look better on stainless than a blued gun. But I don't know if I can handle looking at rubber grips on a blued gun it just doesn't look right to me
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://i.imgur.com/WW9XWZpl.jpg?1
I agree totally, a guy at my range that got the wheels turning for a revolver let me shoot his .357 with rubber grips and they were great for shooting and if I would've gotten a stainless model I would get rubber grips because I think they look better on stainless than a blued gun. But I don't know if I can handle looking at rubber grips on a blued gun it just doesn't look right to me
You can't see the grips when your going the important stuff, shooting.  I agree wood grips do look nice with the blued steel but I bought my 44 as a working revolver not a show piece.  The rubber grips soften recoil and give me a good grip if its 105 or 25 and bone dry or soaking wet.
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 5:48:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I agree totally, a guy at my range that got the wheels turning for a revolver let me shoot his .357 with rubber grips and they were great for shooting and if I would’ve gotten a stainless model I would get rubber grips because I think they look better on stainless than a blued gun. But I don’t know if I can handle looking at rubber grips on a blued gun it just doesn’t look right to me
View Quote
I’m the same way, Goodyears are fine with me on a stainless gun.  But on a blue gun I want something nice, even if I pull them off when I go to the range.

Luckily most of my Smiths are stainless.
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 6:56:28 PM EDT
[#17]
I have a few revolvers and the 38/357 do not kick like the 44 mag (629) revolvers. For example, I got a new 629 snubby with a wood grip and it tore up my hand. switched to a rubber grip and it is a lot better. All my revolvers are SS except the S&W 38 spl that I got from my grand dad and only gets shot once a year. Its a personal preference, but SS guns are easier to clean. Enjoy your revolver.
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 7:05:28 PM EDT
[#18]
What’s wrong with the factory grips it came with ?
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 2:31:01 AM EDT
[#19]
Noice, it won't be the last.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 1:08:32 PM EDT
[#20]
I just bought a 4" 29 this past spring and like it a lot, shooting mostly specials through it for the time being, have thought about it as a night stand gun as well.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 3:37:21 PM EDT
[#21]
For some reason I've had technical difficulties getting his pics to download from my gmail account.  I don't get why....
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 9:25:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Which grips did you decide on?
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 6:37:30 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
What’s wrong with the factory grips it came with ?
View Quote
He didn't say, but if he bought it used he may not have gotten the original grips. 29-2 is old school P&R, production ended soon after the OP's revolver was made (29-3 introduced in 1982). Many 38 year old revolvers are missing their original wood. Which at the time was not considered worth much but now command some $$$.

I had to track down a set for this 1972 29-2, originals were long gone by the time I got it. Lucked into this set of walnut targets . . .

But most of the time it wears these, also not original but correct . . .

Link Posted: 11/27/2018 7:41:30 PM EDT
[#24]
Nice.
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 8:51:06 PM EDT
[#25]
I'm a fan of the wheel gun - have several.

That's all my wife will fire - she likes her SP101 and GP100.
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 9:21:35 PM EDT
[#26]
Another vote for Culina grips. These are American holly with a "Coke" profile. There is usually a wait unless you find they have what you need in stock, which is rare. But, they are well worth it.

My 29-3 with the American holly.

A 19-4 with RB to SB conversion grips in Turkish walnut.

A K22 Combat Masterpiece with black walnut smooth targets.

I have a set of RB combats in progress with them for my 3inch Model 65 that I am patiently, patiently, patiently waiting on.
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 10:29:26 PM EDT
[#27]
Another set of grips you should look at is Craig Spegel.  But you must have patience.

There's a reason you have to wait between 1 to 2 years for a Spegel.
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 1:53:40 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Which grips did you decide on?
View Quote
Still undecided, I have the original grips I’m just not much on the look of them. It’s not terrible, but not jaw dropping either.
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 2:10:35 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Bill Jordan grips

No idea if they're the same Bill Jordan.
The grip design in question was invented by a Texas Ranger of that name. He wrote a book, No Second Place Winner; suggested reading if you're not familiar with it.
Also get the Elmer Keith book, Six-guns.

If you drop enough hints around the right folk you may even get them under the tree....
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 9:03:29 PM EDT
[#30]
No. Just................ no.

These:  Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 6:46:51 AM EDT
[#31]
I have the Hogue grips on my big Smith that it came with.  They're pretty cheap, look good on a stainless pistol, and really soften the recoil.

I had my Mag-na-ported, and it takes the edge off the recoil.  With the size and weight of a full size 29 series, it's fine to shoot. Can't imagine what the alloy frame models are like.

You'll love it.  44 Special ammo is a pussycat to fire through it.
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 9:13:27 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I had my Mag-na-ported, and it takes the edge off the recoil.  With the size and weight of a full size 29 series, it's fine to shoot. Can't imagine what the alloy frame models are like.
View Quote
Buddy of mine has the scandium model in .44 mag. I've shot it with mag loads & it's not pleasant to shoot.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top