Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/7/2021 6:39:01 PM EDT
I bought a 1958 Ruger MK-1 the other day mainly because of the trigger and yeah, I always wanted a MK-I.

I noticed that it was unusually light/crisp and sure enough it came in at a consistent 1.75#....The trigger is more of what you would expect on a High-Standard or Colt of the same era.....I have about $245.00 in it.

It was set-up for scope use and had a Weigand MK-1 & 2  mount with a Korean made Simmons 4 X 32 pistol scope on it. I removed it and sourced the proper height rear sight for it. It's a later Ruger sight but it works fine.

It was also sporting home-made walnut stocks. I just happened to have a extra pre-A100 frame mag.

Attachment Attached File

When I took it apart for cleaning (yes, I'm mechanically inclined) I did not notice any aftermarket parts. I even took apart my 60s era Standard and compared them....No apparent difference. The consensus over on rimfire central is that some Smith worked on it and used the existing parts.

Damn it's a very nice trigger when compared to the parade of substandard 3-4# gritty triggers every single MK-Whatever that I've ever owned had.....Shoots great too.
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 6:06:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/13/2021 10:39:05 PM EDT
[#2]
I found cool lightly used flapped field holster for it on eBay for $32.00 shipped. It came from a company called Classic Old West Styles out of El Paso, TX.

I believe they made holsters for Sportsman's Guide at one time.....It's of very good quality.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 8/28/2021 12:55:22 PM EDT
[#3]
I have the same model, 1976 year.
Not sure what it pulls at, but it is very light and laser accurate.
One of my favorite guns to shoot.
Link Posted: 8/28/2021 1:41:20 PM EDT
[#4]
I had my Dad buy me (my money I was about 16) a Mark I 5.5” Bull Barrel Ruger in about 1972-3.  My brother bought one like yours a couple years later.   They both have excellent triggers and are good shooters.  I’d hate to think how many tens of thousands of rounds my 5.5” Bull barrel has digested.   That is a good looking flap holster you found.

My Ruger was my first firearm purchase and my second was a Sears rebranded Winchester 190.  I still have both and won’t get rid of either.

Link Posted: 8/28/2021 1:50:22 PM EDT
[#5]
@Motown_Steve
Link Posted: 9/7/2021 8:49:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I bought a 1958 Ruger MK-1 the other day mainly because of the trigger and yeah, I always wanted a MK-I.

I noticed that it was unusually light/crisp and sure enough it came in at a consistent 1.75#....The trigger is more of what you would expect on a High-Standard or Colt of the same era.....I have about $245.00 in it.

It was set-up for scope use and had a Weigand MK-1 & 2  mount with a Korean made Simmons 4 X 32 pistol scope on it. I removed it and sourced the proper height rear sight for it. It's a later Ruger sight but it works fine.

It was also sporting home-made walnut stocks. I just happened to have a extra pre-A100 frame mag.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/88145/m_001__2__JPG-1933432.JPG

When I took it apart for cleaning (yes, I'm mechanically inclined) I did not notice any aftermarket parts. I even took apart my 60s era Standard and compared them....No apparent difference. The consensus over on rimfire central is that some Smith worked on it and used the existing parts.

Damn it's a very nice trigger when compared to the parade of substandard 3-4# gritty triggers every single MK-Whatever that I've ever owned had.....Shoots great too.
View Quote
@1srelluc:  Even shooting and time WILL smooth out a Ruger trigger to amazing crispness.  I have a couple of well shot Mark IIs with fantastic triggers.

ETA:  That is a beautiful Mark I
Link Posted: 9/7/2021 9:01:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/7/2021 10:46:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've passed on several mark 1s. What's the appeal?
View Quote

Like the Colt Huntsman: clean and simple.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top