BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/3/2019 9:41:19 AM EDT

Link Posted: 9/3/2019 11:13:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Another beauty brought back to life.
Link Posted: 9/3/2019 11:35:17 AM EDT
[#2]
I don’t own any Lugers but that’s really well done. I am always amazed at the quality of machining and grip work they did on them.
Link Posted: 9/3/2019 12:53:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Thor340] [#3]
Thanks, this one was really lacking on bluing and they had turned it into a VOPO police pistol after WWII.  Here is a look at the grip straps and Police Eagle marking when I got it.  It had those East German Plastic grips on it.

Link Posted: 9/3/2019 12:58:35 PM EDT
[#4]
BEFORE condition of this Luger.

Link Posted: 9/3/2019 1:25:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Very nice blueing job.  It is interesting that the factory used two different styles of number "3" on the pistol.  The 8231 serial number has a round topped "3", while the 31 stamped on other parts of the pistol have the flat top on the number 3.
Link Posted: 9/3/2019 2:53:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Genin:
Very nice blueing job.  It is interesting that the factory used two different styles of number "3" on the pistol.  The 8231 serial number has a round topped "3", while the 31 stamped on other parts of the pistol have the flat top on the number 3.
View Quote
Forced match maybe?
Link Posted: 9/3/2019 4:45:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Thor340] [#7]
Good observation on the font types.  Seems like a lot of work to change so many parts out on a VOPO Russian Capture Luger (that is what it was when it was sent to me)  Here is a P38 Slide I salt blued and a Broomhandle Mauser I rust blued.  I love this work.

Link Posted: 9/3/2019 4:49:56 PM EDT
[#8]
The Broomhandle did NOT show up in my last post.  Trying it again.
Link Posted: 9/3/2019 5:00:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Nice work.
Link Posted: 9/5/2019 5:30:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Please don't get me wrong by my asking about the font difference..  I think the pistol is gorgeous, and love the deep blueing on it.  I don't know enough about Lugers, or German manufacturing, and for all I know, the primary part could have come from one shop, and the pistol have been assembled at a second shop that stamped the last two numbers on all the other parts.    Hence my question.

I would be absolutely thrilled to have a project turn out that well, or to own such a pistol.
Link Posted: 9/9/2019 8:51:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Thor340] [#11]
No problem, it was a great question I thought.  I have worked on over 400 Luger pistols, and many other types of vintage firearms since I started this en devour in 2001. I have also worked on P.38s, PPKs, Broomhandles, Nambus,  Tokarovs, Colt 1911s, etc  But Lugers are my first love for this work,
Link Posted: 9/17/2019 9:31:20 PM EDT
[#12]
One of the things I love about restorations like this is that the firearm looks exactly how it would have had I picked it up in 1930. And unlike a historically valuable collectors piece, I can take it out to the back yard and shoot it, and enjoy it’s use as a pistol.
Please keep up the good work!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top