Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/10/2022 10:52:14 PM EDT
Picked up a package deal on several firearms. I really don’t know much about the German stuff. Help me put a value on this 1940 DWM, 2 Mags, Holster, Not all numbers match....

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/11/2022 1:29:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Mfinaustin] [#1]
Hard to say.  Stamps and markings dictate and depends on who rebuilt it.  Collectors want matching numbers.  Gunbroker is going to be your best option is you are trying to resell it.

If you want a value… holster have stamps?   Missing strap, leather condition?. $300, two mags $300-$350, reworked Luger with unknown barrel condition $850

Link Posted: 6/11/2022 2:46:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Mfinaustin:
Hard to say.  Stamps and markings dictate and depends on who rebuilt it.  Collectors want matching numbers.  Gunbroker is going to be your best option is you are trying to resell it.

If you want a value… holster have stamps?   Missing strap, leather condition?. $300, two mags $300-$350, reworked Luger with unknown barrel condition $850

View Quote

If it’s a 9mm then it’s worth way more than $850. I listed a refinished non matching double date 9mm and sold it within a few hours for $1400 plus full shipping costs and was paid in full no questions asked. And this was a few years ago. Shooter grade lugers in 9mm are in high demand with a very limited supply.
Link Posted: 6/11/2022 2:53:05 AM EDT
[#3]
I saw one bring $2500 years ago in similar shape but the buyer wanted a certain year to make his collection consecutive.

I’d like to know what a pristine numbers matching example goes for.
Link Posted: 6/11/2022 4:43:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Not number matching refinished Luger, I would keep it and shoot it.

But then I have always wanted one.
Link Posted: 6/11/2022 8:56:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Picture quality is pretty low however I don’t think this one has been re-blued. In person you can see slight hints of gold on a few parts.
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 10:42:14 AM EDT
[#6]
That’s not aWW2 German holster. Pretty sure it’s post war police holster for Star or BHP.
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 12:36:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Steiner43:
That’s not aWW2 German holster. Pretty sure it’s post war police holster for Star or BHP.
View Quote

Is it stamped on the back?
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 10:54:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Karankawa:

Is it stamped on the back?
View Quote

Take a closer look at the shape. It’s not a German Luger holster. It vaguely resembles one, but the shape is wrong & the bottom is squared instead of narrow & rounded. Closer strap is wrong too.
Link Posted: 6/13/2022 12:30:09 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Steiner43:

Take a closer look at the shape. It’s not a German Luger holster. It vaguely resembles one, but the shape is wrong & the bottom is squared instead of narrow & rounded. Closer strap is wrong too.
View Quote

Pretty sure I agree 100% if by closer you mean the strap is closer to the viewpoint of the cameraman, or the trigger guard.

From a very limited example of one 1934 holster I expected a pretty brass post for the strap eyelet. So I was thinking maybe the standard slipped or changed in later years to allow alternative pistols or due to supply constraints. I don’t know anything about other European holsters but missed out on a nice P38 a few years ago. From memory it would fit better in a less tapered holster.

So mostly I was wondering the date.
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 1:20:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Looks to be a post-war German police holster for a Hi-Power.

DWM was out of the game by 1940, so there’s quite a bit of age gap in parts on the pistol. Better photos will be the only way to give you a fair answer. A German wartime gun specific forum will be able to give you better answers, be it either of the Luger forums or the P.38 forum.

A refinished, mix-master will bring more than they once did in the current market, but don’t count on retiring on it. I wouldn’t expect for it to bring much more that 1.2K, at best, on a forum or auction. You may consider selling the holster separately once you narrow down what it is. Simpson’s recently released (and still seems to be) many shooter grade Lugers, you may compare what you have to their prices. The spare magazine, assuming it is legitimate, will add some worth also.

Best of luck.
Link Posted: 6/15/2022 11:42:27 AM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for all the help. I feel like I’ll be able to get my money back out of it. I took a package as there was an early Remington 1100 410 that I secured, that I really had my eye on. I’m looking to get $900 back out of the 1940 DWM. Sounds like I’ll be able to do that being fair to myself and the buyer.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top