Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/23/2022 12:29:26 AM EDT
Hello gents,

Been carrying a 1911 of some form as a EDC for the past 20+ years.

Now I'm looking for a quality 1911 in 22 rimfire.  I see several on the market but no experience with any of them.  

So - what 1911 in 22 rimfire should I be looking for  ?   And want one that I can find mags for too.

Thanks !
Link Posted: 2/23/2022 12:49:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Hello gents,

Been carrying a 1911 of some form as a EDC for the past 20+ years.

Now I'm looking for a quality 1911 in 22 rimfire.  I see several on the market but no experience with any of them.  

So - what 1911 in 22 rimfire should I be looking for  ?   And want one that I can find mags for too.

Thanks !
View Quote

I wasn't satisfied until I came up with a Colt Conversion unit, installed here on my Combat Elite's frame. That way, I'm getting exactly the same trigger, regardless of which caliber I'm shooting.

. . . plus, you can get a complete conversion kit delivered to your door via mail order.
Link Posted: 2/23/2022 1:00:59 AM EDT
[#2]
You want a Nelson custom. Blows everything else out of the water, worth every penny they ask, reliable and accurate to a degree that is hard to believe. There is a reason tons of CMP guys are using them.
Link Posted: 2/23/2022 1:13:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You want a Nelson custom. Blows everything else out of the water, worth every penny they ask, reliable and accurate to a degree that is hard to believe. There is a reason tons of CMP guys are using them.
View Quote

I didn't realize that Al Marvel had (a) sold off the company in 2018, to Frerking Custom, and (b) Bob Marvel (who designed the Marvel conversions) teaches gunsmithing classes at Nelson.

Link Posted: 2/23/2022 2:34:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

For over $500 it better blow everything out of the water!
Link Posted: 2/23/2022 5:20:05 AM EDT
[#5]
I had a friends cheap .22 1911.  I want to say it was sig branded, but a cheap imported one.  Put several hundred thru it, and it worked, but it really did not inspire confidence that it would last many years.
Link Posted: 2/23/2022 9:51:20 AM EDT
[#6]
I’ve enjoyed my GSG 1911. It’s a lot lighter than a steel frame 1911, but IMO it’s a good training aide, especially for new shooters
Link Posted: 2/23/2022 9:54:53 AM EDT
[#7]
The marvel conversions are pretty good too.
Most of the current clone complete pistols are GSG /umarex and while some people are happy with them, others have had durability issues with prolonged use.
Link Posted: 2/23/2022 10:38:55 AM EDT
[#8]
get a Kimber rimfire target conversion upper to use on your existing frame. and a dozen of the promag 1911 22 mags. shockingly they work 100%. i have many many 1000s of round thru mine.

Link Posted: 2/23/2022 11:07:23 AM EDT
[#9]
Kimber Rimfire.  It has a short production cycle for the complete gun.  It runs with GSG metal magazines and the slide lock after last round works:

This gun is so light, it feels like a toy.  The lower isn't cheap airsoft potmetal, it is the same one they use on their lightweight 9s and 45s.
Link Posted: 2/23/2022 11:10:29 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I’ve enjoyed my GSG 1911. It’s a lot lighter than a steel frame 1911, but IMO it’s a good training aide, especially for new shooters
View Quote
My GSG had the front and rear sights drifted to the extremes, right out of the box, and it was not enough to correct point of impact at 20 Yards, which was 6" left. The barrel was pined to the lower half, it looked like a shitty design.  I sold it shortly after I found a used Kimber.

GSG is on the right, this is how I found the Kimber works with the high quality steel GSG mags.  I wish the actual GSG gun had similar quality.

Link Posted: 2/23/2022 11:13:50 AM EDT
[#11]
I have a Sig 1911-22 which is a rebranded GSG 1911-22. To get the most reliable function you have to run the higher velocity ammo. You can run regular velocity ammo but be prepared for malfunctions. You can easily add the threaded barrel attachment if you want to run suppressed.
Link Posted: 2/23/2022 11:17:56 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

I have a GSG conversion that I really like.I use it on aGov't model and a Commander.Never had any problems;very reliable and accurate.
Link Posted: 2/23/2022 11:19:39 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

I also have a GSG. Overall a great option, but I hate the magazines.
Link Posted: 2/23/2022 11:45:10 AM EDT
[#14]
which was the one with the exposed barrel, kinda like a beretta 92?
Link Posted: 2/23/2022 11:52:29 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
which was the one with the exposed barrel, kinda like a beretta 92?
View Quote
Nelson, old Marvel, and the new Marvel.

Peters-Stahl used to make one, sold in the US by Pachmyr, that was functionally the same as a Marvel, but with the front sight on the barrel section, physically separated from the rear sight mounted which is mounted on the breech section.
Link Posted: 2/23/2022 12:10:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Nelson, old Marvel, and the new Marvel.

Peters-Stahl used to make one, sold in the US by Pachmyr, that was functionally the same as a Marvel, but with the front sight on the barrel section, physically separated from the rear sight mounted which is mounted on the breech section.
View Quote

gotcha! ya i think i drove past the shop in NE where marvel does theirs but never stopped as kids were always screaming... woulda been a good time to get out i suppose....
Link Posted: 2/23/2022 12:18:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

the bullseye crowd is pretty happy with them,

the Colt units work very well too

I  have a GSG at the shop we used for a suppressor host,   no issues so far
Link Posted: 2/23/2022 12:23:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I wasn't satisfied until I came up with a Colt Conversion unit, installed here on my Combat Elite's frame. That way, I'm getting exactly the same trigger, regardless of which caliber I'm shooting.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/12179/IMG-2912-194775.JPG

. . . plus, you can get a complete conversion kit delivered to your door via mail order.
View Quote

I have a Colt conversion kit.  I had some malfunctions when I first used it.  Tried some standard velocity ammo and it runs like a Singer sewing machine.  

Only problem, extra magazines are $$$$ expensive.  I tried some aftermarket and they have a multitude of problems.  One feeds fine, but I have to pry the magazine out of the pistol.
Link Posted: 2/23/2022 12:56:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I have a Colt conversion kit.  I had some malfunctions when I first used it.  Tried some standard velocity ammo and it runs like a Singer sewing machine.  

Only problem, extra magazines are $$$$ expensive.  I tried some aftermarket and they have a multitude of problems.  One feeds fine, but I have to pry the magazine out of the pistol.
View Quote

Yeah, and they weren't inexpensive 15-20 years ago when I knew that needed to stockpile quite a few OEM mags.

Have you considered calling Nelson or Frerking, and asking if their mags are compatible with Colt units, with user feedback?

If I was starting down this path now, I'd cry once and go with Nelson. They have a following among the competitive shooters for a reason, their pricing isn't significantly different from the new Marvels are selling for at Frerking Custom, and wherever I got the conversion, I would definitely get enough mags to keep the pistol going for a generation or two of my family.
Link Posted: 2/24/2022 12:09:08 PM EDT
[#20]
I read GSG/Sig 1911 mags function with the Colt conversion unit but I have never tried as I sold my Colt conversion unit back in the 80’s.

I wanted another 1911 22 rimfire so I bought an Advantage Arms Standard Conversion kit.   I bought a stripped RIA frame from Sarco and assembled a dedicated frame for my AA kit.   Mags are reasonably priced and readily available.  AA has a Target conversion unit which is basically a rebranded Marvel unit 1.   My AA Standard kit is plenty accurate for me and has proven to be very reliable.

Here is a picture of my AA/RIA 22 LR 1911.

The best place I’ve found to purchase AA kits and mags is Lanbo’s Armory.

https://lanbosarmory.com/index.php?main_page=advanced_search_result&search_in_description=1&keyword=Advantage+Arms

Link Posted: 2/24/2022 12:14:23 PM EDT
[#21]
I have a SIG branded GSG 1911 and it has been solid, the only caveat is there is a magazine disconnect built into the backstrap that makes it a pain to reassemble, wound up removing it.
There is a little tab near the bottom rear of the magazine that actuates it.
Link Posted: 2/25/2022 9:03:53 PM EDT
[#22]
I have a Marvel that I use for bullseye. If you have a 1911 for a donor lower , Marvel or Nelson is the way to go. They run $500-600ish depending, more for all steel.

Kimbers are nice but they are pricey and irons only.

GSG metal mags don't  lock in my GI lower I'm using with my Marvel but others use them. The plastic mags from Marvel work fine and are made for them by pro mag I think.
Link Posted: 3/6/2022 10:25:31 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/12179/IMG-2912-194775.JPG

View Quote

Very nice! Who did you get yours from?
Link Posted: 3/6/2022 10:38:48 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Very nice! Who did you get yours from?
View Quote

A little gun shop (built on, behind his wife's antique shop) in upstate (Montgomery) NY, about 2005.

I did need to use this https://www.brownells.com/handgun-parts/frame-parts/frame-hardware/fillers/frame-slot-filler-060-sku876000007-13121-114446.aspx to make my series 80 frame work with the series 70 upper
Link Posted: 3/6/2022 11:01:18 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I had a friends cheap .22 1911.  I want to say it was sig branded, but a cheap imported one.  Put several hundred thru it, and it worked, but it really did not inspire confidence that it would last many years.
View Quote

My shooting buddy has one and it's started to get finicky.  Don't know if it's the cold weather or not,  was was working better until it got cold.  

Currently we're running it might need new springs.  He came the manufacturer but they don't sell springs/ kits separately so he going to have to find something aftermarket.
Link Posted: 3/6/2022 11:06:34 PM EDT
[#26]
Yesterday l was at a gunshow and found a RIA .22 mag 1911. Never knew they even existed.  Heavy as all get out, it was plainly all steel.  ~$499? Or was it $399?

Later at a different shop l found one in .22 LR for about $20 less.  

Any experience with these?

Although at that price you're well into the quality conversion kits that are known to work. So there's that.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top