Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/3/2019 6:45:04 PM EDT
Looking to do a 9mm build and was hoping to do it off of a fosters frame

https://www.caspianarms.com/receiver/foster-government-model-receiver-carbon-1

Is there differences in the basic frame between a 9mm 1911 and a 45 ?
Link Posted: 6/3/2019 6:50:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes, if the frame is not cut for a ramped barrel.

The feed ramp for a 9mm is the same angle as that for a .38 Super.  The feed ramp for a .45 is at a different angle.

With the ramped barrels, the frame should be the same.
Link Posted: 6/3/2019 7:15:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Damn

It’s been kinda a pain in the ass to find a 9mm frame that’s not an 80%.

This is just a cool project I’d rather not drop a ton of coin in the probable chance I screw it up
Link Posted: 6/3/2019 7:24:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Damn

It’s been kinda a pain in the ass to find a 9mm frame that’s not an 80%.

This is just a cool project I’d rather not drop a ton of coin in the probable chance I screw it up
View Quote
Take another look at your link.  Click where it says "change options".

It will give you a choice of .45 or 9mm.  (I am not sure what "neautral" is supposed to mean).

Or, if you want to use a ramped barrel, you have the choice of 2 different styles.
Link Posted: 6/3/2019 9:36:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Take another look at your link.  Click where it says "change options".

It will give you a choice of .45 or 9mm.  (I am not sure what "neautral" is supposed to mean).

Or, if you want to use a ramped barrel, you have the choice of 2 different styles.
View Quote
My dude

Thank you !
Link Posted: 6/3/2019 9:41:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/3/2019 10:04:05 PM EDT
[#6]
I had no problem converting a .38 super pistol to .45acp but I'm not sure about going the other way. The mag well is the same and the barrel has the ramp so I really don't see the problem but I just shoot them mostly.  I swap parts, not gunsmith.
Link Posted: 6/4/2019 1:34:04 PM EDT
[#7]
While a ramped barrel ay be the in thing these days for decades many 9mm 1911’s were made with regular barrels. On standard 45 frames. I have had a couple and with good mags ( which is pretty
Much a given in the 1911 regardless of caliber) they were very reliable.
I will say if building out of the gate a ramped barrel in 9 probably makes a bit more sense.
Link Posted: 8/27/2019 10:46:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Must of done a dozen or more .45 ACP to 9mm conversions on standard Mil-Spec frames back in the day when I
worked for a FFL shop...

Of course you would need a complete upper slide assembly in 9mm/38 Super and a 9mm/38 Super ejector,
9mm/38 Super slide stop and of course a 9mm or 38 Super magazine...

So, yes I has been done before, primarily as a cheaper softer shooting option in a ergonomic 1911 design...
Link Posted: 8/28/2019 2:53:13 PM EDT
[#9]
I still have the forming punches to adjust magazine lips.

Used to be very common on Bullseye .45 ACP guns designed to handle semi wadcutters.
Link Posted: 9/3/2019 4:21:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Must of done a dozen or more .45 ACP to 9mm conversions on standard Mil-Spec frames back in the day when I
worked for a FFL shop...

Of course you would need a complete upper slide assembly in 9mm/38 Super and a 9mm/38 Super ejector,
9mm/38 Super slide stop and of course a 9mm or 38 Super magazine...

So, yes I has been done before, primarily as a cheaper softer shooting option in a ergonomic 1911 design...
View Quote
Agreed. I've done 4 45acp to 9mm conversions. Simple and straight forward. All have been unramped frames using unramped barrels.
Link Posted: 9/4/2019 1:41:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I have used a 45 frame to do a 9mm before.  Good magazines can help a lot, along with polishing the feed ramp.
View Quote
Adjust the release point by altering the mag lips.
Link Posted: 9/22/2019 10:55:16 AM EDT
[#12]
Deleted
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top