Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/3/2022 11:09:22 AM EDT
Hello all, I am looking for a 1911 Milspec. Stuck between the Springfield Defender Milspec and the Auto Ordnance. I really like the roll marks on the Auto Ordnance, but about Auto Ordnance is about $100 more than the Springfield Milspec.

Link Posted: 8/3/2022 11:20:54 AM EDT
[#1]
"Auto Ordnance"

Springfield Armory is the best choice...
Link Posted: 8/3/2022 11:23:06 AM EDT
[#2]
I’ve had really good luck with Springfield 1911s.
Link Posted: 8/3/2022 11:25:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Another vote for Springfield, Auto Ordnance is not even close.
Link Posted: 8/3/2022 11:26:57 AM EDT
[#4]
No contest. Springfield.
Link Posted: 8/3/2022 11:28:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
"Auto Ordnance"

View Quote

Thank you
Link Posted: 8/3/2022 11:50:27 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Thank you
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
"Auto Ordnance"

Thank you

No problem...
Link Posted: 8/3/2022 12:03:05 PM EDT
[#7]
If you are looking for something closest to a M1911A1 then Auto Ordnance or Tisas are the two closest reproductions (with tiny sights) being made.
Link Posted: 8/3/2022 1:44:01 PM EDT
[#8]
I speak only from hands-on first-hand experience.
I have a 2 year old SP Defender, several older Mil-spec Springfields and 2 older West Hurley Auto Ordnance from the early 80's.

All parts are interchangeble, I have used all in competition ( with and without Compensators, extended safeties, with all different Loads of bullets and powders )
except for the new Defender, with never a problem, I do all my own work, BUT because they are all Mil-Spec 1911's there was virtually No  work needed.

I have used Non-OEM parts in All, even the Defender with no problems what so ever. Two of the Springfields were new < late 80's early 90's < when acquired,
the two year old Defender is Not Brasillion IMBEL.
The older Used 1911's ( SP and Auto Ordnance) referred to in this post shot and functioned just as well as the 3 new guns.

I have No experience with the New Auto Ordnance 1911's made by Kahr OR the newer Springfields partly made in Brazil.
The older SP were Forged frame and slide, the newer IMBEL Brasillian models are forged slide But my memory fails me about the IMBEL frame,
I think they are cast, I await correction.  

You might consider an older used SP or Auto Ordnance made in West Hurley, NY. I have read many negative "opinions" about the old West Hurley AO from guys that just
repeat what they heard or read --- an opinion is Useless and fraudulent if it Not based on Hands- On  First-Hand knowledge and experience.

Good Luck, M A G A

togl   isdl

Link Posted: 8/3/2022 1:46:30 PM EDT
[#9]
I have an AO gun that is going on 12+ years old that has been nothing but easy to on me with zero issues. Plus it looks the closest to my GI 1911 so there is that. I did replace the grips though. used actual GI grips which are bit darker, and even has a rack number lol.
Link Posted: 8/3/2022 2:59:17 PM EDT
[#10]
If I wanted a pure GI clone, I'd snag one of the Tisas for $400
Link Posted: 8/3/2022 3:18:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I have an AO gun that is going on 12+ years old that has been nothing but easy to on me with zero issues. Plus it looks the closest to my GI 1911 so there is that. I did replace the grips though. used actual GI grips which are bit darker, and even has a rack number lol.
View Quote

Just saw the thread with Tissas on sale. Lo and behold its in stock. I couldn't help myself. Had to pick up that Service one for $299. Hopefully it will quench the thirst. But I still kinda want an American made milspec...

Thanks
Link Posted: 8/3/2022 3:23:16 PM EDT
[#12]
I got one of the Tisas for my son. I really liked it, just didnt like the fact that it wasn't parkerized, but for the price they are hard to beat.
Link Posted: 8/3/2022 4:50:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Although AO looks more like traditional pre-70s 1911, it actual use Colt series 80 style firing pin safety. SA don't use firing pin safety, but use titanium firing pin with extra power FP spring to prevent accidental discharge. So if you absolutely hate FP safety, then AO is not your choice.
Link Posted: 8/3/2022 5:43:33 PM EDT
[#14]
The mil specs are not "mil spec". Between the sights and a few other nit picky things but ime a better gun.
Link Posted: 8/3/2022 6:10:20 PM EDT
[#15]
This is my AO with my CMP 1911.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/3/2022 6:21:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Pretty happy with My Tisas 1911’s.

$319 each

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/3/2022 6:25:02 PM EDT
[#17]
My younger son bought an Kahr-made AO in 2016 and has had no problems with it. We changed the grips (replaced with USGI contract ones), trigger (replaced with a Colt short trigger), and recoil spring plug (replaced with a USGI plug with spring-retaining hole). Like another poster said, even at a short distance it is hard to differentiate between it and my CMP M1911A1.

Although the AO has an 80-series firing pin setup, that is not the "boogeyman" some would have you believe. The only thing it does is prevent the use of some 22 LR conversion kits. Even if the firing pin lever breaks in the frame, you can remove the firing pin plunger in the slide and carry on.

I have an early 80-series Colt that has never had any firing pin issues.
Link Posted: 8/3/2022 8:26:12 PM EDT
[#18]

Where did you get them for 319?
Link Posted: 8/3/2022 10:07:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

These were the "Blems" that Centerfire was selling recently in 9mm and 45 ACP.

Link Posted: 8/3/2022 11:16:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Auto Ordnance/Kahr/Moonies is a Series 80 style FCG.

Get the Springer or even the Turkey gun.
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 12:35:05 PM EDT
[#21]
Those TISAS were a steal, at $319.00 delivered, the only blemish was that the finish on the frame was a little darker than the slide. No issues with USGI magazines, they come with checkmate mags.

Unless you hate the Turks, I get it, but on a side note, when I was in Istanbul, I blended, sort of.  The locals kept talking to me in German….guess I don’t look American……
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 1:34:50 PM EDT
[#22]
For American made basic mil-spec type, Springfield.
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 2:09:19 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

There's been a couple of threads on the Tisas guns on sale in this same 1911 Forum.
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 6:21:35 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

There's been a couple of threads on the Tisas guns on sale in this same 1911 Forum.
View Quote

Yes, posted this before I saw that thread. I couldn't help myself and got one. Thank you!
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 7:27:46 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Another vote for Springfield, Auto Ordnance is not even close.
View Quote

This, at one time, AO was known to not be to reliable.  Maybe at one time AO was good, but IMO, I will only own two 1911 brands, Colt and Springfield

Link Posted: 8/13/2022 12:06:08 AM EDT
[#26]
As other said the Springfield one is the better choice.

However, I inherited a AO 1911. Had to re-spring the entire gun to get it to work but it works. It has rough machining but otherwise functioned flawlessly.

I owned a few 1911s, and in all the ones that had issues I found that they needed new recoil springs. That seems to be the common problem in a lot of them. That or extractor tension but I never had to adjust extractor tension myself.

I feel like people get 1911s, find they don't work, and go the extreme route with powertools and other crap when all they had to do was a simple recoil spring fix.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top