Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/23/2020 2:23:18 PM EDT
With the modern versions of Bullseye Pistol Powder, is the following still an approximate factory hardball loading for a 5” 1911?

230 grain real FMJ bullet
4.8 grains Bullseye
Federal primers
RP/WW cases mixed
1.265” COAL

TIA
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 2:44:33 PM EDT
[#1]
4.7 is the 1929 Excellence-in-Competition and National Match 230-grain load according to Hatcher.  816 fps at 25 feet, 14,853 psi.

5.0 is the GI load for 230-grain .45 ACP Ball dating back to around 1913.  Velocity will be around 875 fps, 16,500 psi.  I believe it's also documented in Hatcher's Notebook somewhere.
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 3:04:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Thank you.

4.8 grains is my Little Dandy RCBS rotor #8.  Saves buying a new one.

Loaded and shot a single box of that load above this morning after setting up new dies.  Plunk test setting up de-belling case mouth.  Setting up COAL.

As or more accurate than RP or WW factory ball.  Less boom sound than 6.5 grains Unique which is slower burning out the muzzle.

But the 4.8 load “felt” quicker recoil snap wise than any of those (factory or Unique).

Matches sights set with factory ball.
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 3:48:31 PM EDT
[#3]
What sort of velocity does 6.5gr unique give you?
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 4:46:56 PM EDT
[#4]
6.5 grains Unique was/is??? the 230 grain FMJ factory duplication load.  Roughly same with 225/230 LRN cast.

1970 +/- Lyman 44 data and accuracy loads.

50 years ago, HaHa, 6.5 Unique was the go to loading for a box stock Colt Government or Gold Cup.  It made sure the slide went back and shot to sights set for factory hardball.

In that era, happiness was a load that matched your already zeroed sights to avoid re-doing them.

My Remington R1 (plain gun) is so much fun it ate all my Glock 21 ammo.  No Unique on hand.  Bullseye extra from being tired of reloading 9mm.

Photos for Data:

Photo for R1 with 4.8 grain Bullseye hand load:

Photo for R1 with factory Ball.

Same zero.  One hole groups haven’t happened for a while.  

More than you asked, but some basis for the information added.

I think the modern Alliant Powder is what used to be the Hercules Powder company.  Some powders are the same, but some like 2400 are very different.  I have used Bullseye for revolver and pistol loads for a long time.  

The Alliant Bullseye site only gives useless data for the stupid Speer plated lead bullets which are neither FMJ or plain lead.

The 4.8 grains Bullseye fits into, Sinister, the poster above’s, Match 4.7 versus USGI 5.0 info.
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 8:56:45 PM EDT
[#5]
If you use Winchester Super Target you get more of a "Push" than a "Slap" when you drop the hammer using the equivalent 4.7 and 5.0 charges.  Don't remember why.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top