Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/26/2022 1:14:15 AM EDT
Got the bundle with 4-12rd mag and 1-10rd mag. One of the 12 is hard to insert compared to the others and it won't drop free. Is this something S&W will warranty?
Link Posted: 3/26/2022 1:50:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Since the Shield plus comes with 10 and 13 round magazines, if you have a “12 round” that might be your problem…
Link Posted: 3/26/2022 1:53:06 AM EDT
[#2]
I use the Uplula. Once I get 13 in them a couple of times, they get easier. For a few of them you have to press down pretty damn hard. Others are easy from the start. I think it's the spring stacking up on itself instead of coiling inside itself. I usually hear a pop when I stuff the last round in. Then I leave it sit a few days. I've been able to get all mine to work after some brute force.
Link Posted: 3/26/2022 2:26:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Try inserting with slide locked open
Link Posted: 3/26/2022 3:31:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Lol 13 it is. I haven't put any cartridges into the magazines yet.

Anyways, there is something definitely off with this magazine. With the slide lock back, the magazine still feels tight locking into place. With the slide still locked back, pressing the mag release will NOT  even budge the mag.

With slide forward, the mag will drop 1-2MM.

I just registered the serial number and applied for the rebate. I see the only have a number to call for customer service and it's M-F only. I guess I'll give them a ring next week.
Link Posted: 4/3/2022 10:40:14 PM EDT
[#5]
S&W was great.  Called them last Tuesday.  Was on hold for maybe 10-15 mins.  Talked to a nice lady on the phone.  She took my info.  Got the magazine on Saturday.

Well, this one doesnt drop fee either!  Could this just be due to tolerance stacking somewhere?

4 magazines drop free.  2 do not.

Link Posted: 4/4/2022 12:54:31 AM EDT
[#6]
I started removing parts and swapping things around to see if I can figure out what's going on.

First step was to remove the mag catch, thinking that might be the problem.  Issue persists.

2nd was removing the slide.  Issue persists but that's when I spotted the issue.  The follower is slipping past the little nub on the slide lock bar.  

Now it was time to find out if it was the magazine body or follower.

The results are a little confusing, but generally I think it's the follower.  

One of the swap, both magazines work perfectly now....

The other did follow the follower.

Maybe my slide bar is slightly out of or on the low end of the spec.  Or it's the followers.  Or feed lips on mag.

I havent taken it out to the range out.  Hopefully this week.  We'll see if there are any issues with the magazines feeding and locking back.

Link Posted: 5/4/2022 11:47:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Any update on this mag issue? I just picked up the bundle with 3 thirteen rd mags. The three  bonus mags did not drop free at first. I think the spring may be pushing up the follower a bit too much. But once loaded and inserted fully with ammo, they drop free.  I'm hoping leaving the mags  loaded for a bit will make the follower sit lower in the mag when empty.    Have not shot it yet, but the shield plus feels pretty dan I'mg good
Link Posted: 5/28/2022 8:58:32 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I just picked up the bundle with 3 thirteen rd mags. The three  bonus mags did not drop free at first. I think the spring may be pushing up the follower a bit too much. But once loaded and inserted fully with ammo, they drop free.  I'm hoping leaving the mags  loaded for a bit will make the follower sit lower in the mag when empty.    Have not shot it yet, but the shield plus feels pretty dan I'mg good
View Quote

Same issue here. The two mags in the firearm box work great but the three bonus mags are difficult to insert, won't drop free and won't lock the slide back when empty. I also noticed the mag body of the "good" mags are a matte black finish and the bonus mags are glossy. Not that the finish is the issue, just made me wonder about batching and/or subcontracting (all speculation). Anyway, I sent them back to S&W and am waiting on their replacement.

Then, yesterday I had a 50-round range session where the trigger bar pin walked halfway out. I pushed it back in with my thumb (if that tells you anything about the friction fit) and I'll have to call them Tuesday about that. Pistol shoots well but obviously not too pleased so far.
Link Posted: 6/10/2022 1:10:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Disregard
Link Posted: 6/20/2022 11:14:23 AM EDT
[#10]
I've had this happen with CZ mags and a few others. Take a dial caliper and measure front to back and side to side of the ones that drop free. Do the same for the ones that don't. The ones that drop free are slightly more narrow. I used a padded vise to slightly get them to the same width. Drops free and functions perfectly. It doesn't take much
Link Posted: 7/4/2022 11:54:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Any update on this mag issue? I just picked up the bundle with 3 thirteen rd mags. The three  bonus mags did not drop free at first. I think the spring may be pushing up the follower a bit too much. But once loaded and inserted fully with ammo, they drop free.  I'm hoping leaving the mags  loaded for a bit will make the follower sit lower in the mag when empty.    Have not shot it yet, but the shield plus feels pretty dan I'mg good
View Quote

Nope. I just mark the ones that have issues for range use. Keep the other good mags as carry duty.
Link Posted: 7/7/2022 10:43:17 AM EDT
[#12]
Mine have no issues now. Left them loaded for a bit, now function fine. Many rounds through them.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top