Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/31/2020 11:40:41 PM EDT
My current carry ammo is 147gr HST (9mm)...finding ballistically similar training ammo is easy; everyone makes some version of standard pressure 147gr ball (Speer Lawman for example). It makes practicing with ammo and keeping the same POA/POI easy when switching between them.

I'm considering switching to a 124gr+P load (probably HST, maybe Gold Dot), but for the life of me I can't find a matching training ammo for it. I can find 115gr+P training ball out there, but either I'm not looking in the right places or no one makes any 124gr +P training ammo? Am I missing something?
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 11:53:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Winchester NATO is 124 gr but the 115 is fairly close to the same point of impact.   https://www.midwayusa.com/product/101955123?pid=326334
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 11:59:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Get a Dillon SDB and and roll your own. You'll save money and build exactly the load you want.
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 12:39:09 AM EDT
[#3]
124gr +P HST is listed as an even 1200fps.

The new Winchester 124gr NATO (Q4318) is also listed at 1200fps.
Palmetto State Armory Q4318

The Winchester is my preferred 9mm range ammo. Good stuff..
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 1:33:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Get a Dillon SDB and and roll your own. You'll save money and build exactly the load you want.
View Quote
I dunno when was the last time you price out components, but even if you're starting with a pile of brass and already have a press, dies, scale, and other tools, there's no way to roll your own 9mm less expensive than you can buy it. Not if you place any kind of monetary value on your time, and not if you're buying anything that's not steel or aluminum cased.

If you don't value your time at all, then sure it's less expensive than buying factory ammo. Me, I'd rather spend the $225/k +- than spend all day weighing, refilling, and otherwise paying hyper attention to my press as I try to load a few thousand rounds as fast as possible.

I just saw the other thread on the Win 124gr NATO; that seems like it might be a decent analogue. I'll have to pick up a few hundred rounds and check POI/POA, thanks for the suggestion. Sadly WalMart no longer sells handgun ammo...I'll pick up a case from SG and see what's what, thanks!
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 1:59:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I dunno when was the last time you price out components, but even if you're starting with a pile of brass and already have a press, dies, scale, and other tools, there's no way to roll your own 9mm less expensive than you can buy it. Not if you place any kind of monetary value on your time, and not if you're buying anything that's not steel or aluminum cased.

If you don't value your time at all, then sure it's less expensive than buying factory ammo. Me, I'd rather spend the $225/k +- than spend all day weighing, refilling, and otherwise paying hyper attention to my press as I try to load a few thousand rounds as fast as possible.

I just saw the other thread on the Win 124gr NATO; that seems like it might be a decent analogue. I'll have to pick up a few hundred rounds and check POI/POA, thanks for the suggestion. Sadly WalMart no longer sells handgun ammo...I'll pick up a case from SG and see what's what, thanks!
View Quote
Palmetto State Armory usually has the best price on Win 124gr NATO at 179.80/1000 compared to SG at 189.80. I believe PSA may have cheaper shipping as well.
https://palmettostatearmory.com/winchester-usa-9mm-nato-124gr-fmj-ammunition-50rds-q4318.html

Edit-Palmetto is the cheapest...when they are offering free shipping. Currently Target Sports USA at 199.80 with free shippingseems to be the best going.
https://www.targetsportsusa.com/winchester-usa-9mm-ammo-nato-124-gr-fmj-q4318-p-697.aspx
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 1:18:18 PM EDT
[#6]
I don't carry 9mm, but Winchester 124gr NATO is what I have bought for 9mm.  I do have various 115gr stuff, but this seems to be the cheaper ammo over the last few years.
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 7:07:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Speer advertises their Lawman line as a practice equivalent for the corresponding caliber\bullet weight Gold Dot ammo.

"When you train, you want ammunition that is reliable, with feel and point of aim that’s as close as possible to your self-defense loads. You also need it to be affordable. Speer Lawman ammunition brings great consistency at an attractive price, and also features reloadable cases. Find your ideal training load in a variety of calibers from 32 Auto to 45 Auto. With excellent accuracy and ballistics similar to Gold Dot loads, it offers the most realistic practice possible."
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 10:38:47 AM EDT
[#8]
any 9mm NATO round will do. PPU, Sellier and Bellot, GECO, Fiocchi, Winchester or Federal.
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 11:07:37 AM EDT
[#9]
I made 1000 monday night on my DILLON 650

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 8:17:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Unless im trying to shoot 1" pasties at 15 yards the difference between the cheapest crap and my carry ammo is minimal.

Dont over think it.

My defense 556 is 77hpbt but my training ammo is either 55gr fmj reloads or steel case crap.
Link Posted: 7/21/2020 3:52:06 PM EDT
[#11]
I carry Speer GD 124+p and use Speer Lawman 124 for training. When not using Lawman I use 115gr Blazer. PPU, whatever.
Link Posted: 7/22/2020 8:21:21 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Unless im trying to shoot 1" pasties at 15 yards the difference between the cheapest crap and my carry ammo is minimal.

Dont over think it.

My defense 556 is 77hpbt but my training ammo is either 55gr fmj reloads or steel case crap.
View Quote

This.

My cheap, mid-range 124 gr. hand loads shoot close enough to my 124gr. HST+P at the CCW ranges I practice at to make little difference.
Link Posted: 7/22/2020 7:07:42 PM EDT
[#13]
I don't think it really matters for practical pistol accuracy...that said, Fiocchi 115 and 124 have always been loaded fairly warm. Speer Lawman comes to mind as well.
Link Posted: 7/22/2020 7:28:45 PM EDT
[#14]
This is what you are looking for

9mm Winchester Ranger 124 grain +P FMJ Encapsulated Z Q4362 Ammo
Link Posted: 7/30/2020 8:22:37 AM EDT
[#15]
Literally just buy whatever you can to shoot. It's bulk. If it jams every once in a while, even better. Get some practice.

That said I just stack whatever military loading I can find. Often winchester or s&b. They run flawlessly, so jam clearing is not practiced. I induce that with some empty cases loaded into the mags for training.

Any quality ammo should run a modern autopistol. My choice is HST and the aforementioned .mil ball.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top