Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/4/2018 1:44:42 AM EDT
Can anyone give any thoughts or opinions on the Underwood 180grn with the Speer gold dot bullets. Anyone killed deer or pigs with it ? I am shooting the G40 LS with the Vortex Viper sighted in at 25 yrds. I have ordered a few boxes to test accuracy on the range and if groups well plan on hunting with the gun/ammo this up coming season.
thanks in advance,
DTA
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 9:10:53 AM EDT
[#1]
I "think" it will work but I have not tried it.

Only concern is that the 180 GD is designed for around 1000 FPS. Driven too fast may yield too much expansion, too little penetration.
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 8:24:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Gold Dots at those speeds turn into meteorites. For a 10mm JHP at true 10mm velocities, I opt for the XTP.
Link Posted: 10/6/2018 12:12:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Do you guys think that since the "bullet" is bonded it would hold together better at the higher speeds?  I was able to do some accuracy testing today at my hunting camp range and I will tell ya it feels like it should  at @+/- 1300fps, in the since of recoil, the gun really feels like it should in my opinion instead of the lighter recoil of the .40 at 1050 - 1150fps range. AS far as accuracy the ammo shoots great and is accurate.  as anyone who buys and shoots this caliber I don't want a .40 caliber performance I want the 10mm recoil and performance the 10mm is capable of. I am not gonna shoot the lead bullets Buffalo Bore offers due to Glock not recommending it. yep I can clean the barrel after a range session but not a problem or issues I wanna deal with. This gun and caliber is awesome and hopefully the ammo manufactures can catch up with and load full power ammo with quality "bullets" for hunting. I have my pig trap set and hopefully will be able to test the ammo on some STINKERS in the morning. I will report back and hopefully recover a bullet or two from the victims. I will try head shots and also a side shoulder shot to see if t will pass through and or a good expansion. as of now 11pm no text from the camera letting me know they are in the trap. normal pig movement by my trap is 12 to 2 am so waiting on the text.

thanks in advance guys
ROLL TIDE tomorrow
David A
Link Posted: 10/6/2018 8:01:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Can anyone give any thoughts or opinions on the Underwood 180grn with the Speer gold dot bullets. Anyone killed deer or pigs with it ? I am shooting the G40 LS with the Vortex Viper sighted in at 25 yrds. I have ordered a few boxes to test accuracy on the range and if groups well plan on hunting with the gun/ammo this up coming season.
thanks in advance.
View Quote
I have a G40 for a dedicated 'woods gun.'

But if you're looking to use a 180gn 10mm load on hogs, I'd choose UW's XTP load over the GDs -  the XTP bullet was designed from the git-go for deep penetration and steady expansion when launched at 'real 10mm' velocities.

UW loads them to 1300fps:

https://www.underwoodammo.com/products/10mm-auto-180-grain-xtp-jacketed-hollow-point?variant=7865916588089

Quoted:
Gold Dots at those speeds turn into meteorites. For a 10mm JHP at true 10mm velocities, I opt for the XTP.
View Quote
Yep, save the GDs for 2-legged predators. Even if it breaks apart on impact at UW's speeds, it'll still shred the innards of a bad guy's thoracic cavity, and he'll be DRT.
Link Posted: 10/6/2018 8:11:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Do you guys think that since the "bullet" is bonded it would hold together better at the higher speeds?
View Quote
Not exactly.

Go find any number of YouTube videos with gel tests of Gold Dot projectiles pushed at real 10mm velocities (Underwood) and not many are favorable. The bullets don't fragment and jackets don't separate, but they almost always peel back into some jagged, demented octopus/meteorite shape. Probably makes for a gnarly wound cavity, though.
Link Posted: 10/7/2018 10:04:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Not exactly.

Go find any number of YouTube videos with gel tests of Gold Dot projectiles pushed at real 10mm velocities (Underwood) and not many are favorable. The bullets don't fragment and jackets don't separate, but they almost always peel back into some jagged, demented octopus/meteorite shape. Probably makes for a gnarly wound cavity, though.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Do you guys think that since the "bullet" is bonded it would hold together better at the higher speeds?
Not exactly.

That's right ... which is what you want to happen on a bad guy, not on a hog.

For putting down critters, you want penetration through fur, subcutaneous tissue, sinew, and bone.
Link Posted: 10/7/2018 11:31:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yep. This 100%. The factory 200gr offering is a nice carry load for fast follow-up shots in my G29, but the nuclear Gold Dot loads can't handle the velocity.

With that said, I carry the 180gr XTP's by Underwood in my G20.
Link Posted: 10/7/2018 11:54:31 AM EDT
[#8]
They over expand, and penetrate deep. While the bullet doesn't perform as designed, it's a tough bullet so it holds together okay and still does the job pretty well.

Nobody asked, but I think that the Federal 180gr Trophy Bonded soft point is the best load out there for hunting or trail defense anywhere that bears aren't likely.
Link Posted: 10/7/2018 2:01:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Nobody asked, but I think that the Federal 180gr Trophy Bonded soft point is the best load out there for hunting or trail defense anywhere that bears aren't likely.
View Quote
Does Federal even make that anymore? Nobody seems to have it in stock anymore. I found one obscure website (forget the name), but they wanted like $40/box or some outrageous figure.
Link Posted: 10/7/2018 3:11:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Does Federal even make that anymore? Nobody seems to have it in stock anymore. I found one obscure website (forget the name), but they wanted like $40/box or some outrageous figure.
View Quote
Wow. I haven't looked in a while. I think it was a Cabelas exclusive. It would be a real shame if they stopped. It really was the best possible performance. True 10mm velocity without being stupid, big expansion, and deep penetration just short of the 18" max. Not even a hollow point so probably gtg in commie states like NJ.
Link Posted: 10/8/2018 3:12:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Wow. I haven't looked in a while. I think it was a Cabelas exclusive. It would be a real shame if they stopped. It really was the best possible performance. True 10mm velocity without being stupid, big expansion, and deep penetration just short of the 18" max. Not even a hollow point so probably gtg in commie states like NJ.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, agree with this, ... but like Professional said, I've been looking for this Federal 10mm TB ammo for boonies carry and can't find it anywhere.
Link Posted: 10/8/2018 5:22:21 PM EDT
[#12]
I have a contact at Vista. I'll see if I can find out what the deal is.

ETA: Wow that was fast! He says that they still produce it. I asked him if he can tell me who stocks it when he gets back in the office.

https://www.federalpremium.com/products/handgun/premium-centerfire-handgun/trophy-bonded-jsp/p10t1

My reply:

Thank you for your fast reply, especially while away from the office. The over penetration reports are likely due to use of clear gel. It sometimes produces penetration figures that are much deeper than those observed in real gelatin. I got 16.7" in calibrated natural gelatin a few years ago, when I tested it on my own channel (youtu.be/KTAdVZXLnb0). While that's at the upper end of the range, it's below the FBI recommended max of 18". I consider the risk of over penetration to be largely exaggerated for private citizens anyway.

Please let me check with my producer about the video before you send any ammo. I don't want to promise anything I can't deliver. Don't worry about replying on your day off, either. I am in no hurry. But when you return, if you could find out what retailers carry it, I'd appreciate it.
View Quote
ETA2:

Unfortunately, I have no visibility to what distributors stock this load. There are plenty in inventory at our distribution center.

It’s quite interesting that it’s showing out of stock everywhere.  I’m going to dig into this issue and find you a more clear answer, while we are waiting for the ammo to arrive.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention!
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/10/2018 9:50:38 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

ETA: Wow that was fast! He says that they still produce it. I asked him if he can tell me who stocks it when he gets back in the office.

https://www.federalpremium.com/products/handgun/premium-centerfire-handgun/trophy-bonded-jsp/p10t1

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/89956/federal_PNG-698529.png

My reply:

ETA2:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

My reply:

Thank you for your fast reply, especially while away from the office. The over penetration reports are likely due to use of clear gel. It sometimes produces penetration figures that are much deeper than those observed in real gelatin. I got 16.7" in calibrated natural gelatin a few years ago, when I tested it on my own channel (youtu.be/KTAdVZXLnb0). While that's at the upper end of the range, it's below the FBI recommended max of 18". I consider the risk of over penetration to be largely exaggerated for private citizens anyway.

Please let me check with my producer about the video before you send any ammo. I don't want to promise anything I can't deliver. Don't worry about replying on your day off, either. I am in no hurry. But when you return, if you could find out what retailers carry it, I'd appreciate it.
ETA2:

Unfortunately, I have no visibility to what distributors stock this load. There are plenty in inventory at our distribution center.

It’s quite interesting that it’s showing out of stock everywhere.  I’m going to dig into this issue and find you a more clear answer, while we are waiting for the ammo to arrive.
Thanks for bringing this to my attention!
Thanks for posting this exchange ....

I'm tagging this for any follow-up replies/info that points to an 'in-stock' retail source for this Federal 10mm TB load.
Link Posted: 10/10/2018 1:00:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Sgammo.com...

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/10/2018 10:16:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Sgammo.com...
View Quote
Sweet Christmas! Added to cart!
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 12:41:28 AM EDT
[#16]
Nice!
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 1:37:09 AM EDT
[#17]
found the Federal 180 trophy bonded JHP at 1275 FPS ammo at SGammo. made the order for 5 boxes. this seems to be the best ammo for hunting as far as the research I have done. the underwood JHP will just be for range shooting and killing pigs in the trap. thanks for all the replies and help guys. some deer and pigs will be going down during the up and coming season. excited to give them a try and do some handgun blasting.

thanks again,
DTA
ROLL TIDE
Link Posted: 10/12/2018 8:16:36 PM EDT
[#18]
I have yet to use the 180 Gold Dot our of a 10MM on a deer. I plan on correcting that in the coming weeks. I can tell you that the 180 XTP at “real” 10MM velocity works very well.
Link Posted: 10/12/2018 10:20:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I have yet to use the 180 Gold Dot our of a 10MM on a deer. I plan on correcting that in the coming weeks. I can tell you that the 180 XTP at “real” 10MM velocity works very well.
View Quote
How many deer have you killed with it? Have you used other handgun calibers or light 10mm?
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 4:50:55 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

My reply:

ETA2:
View Quote
Any chance you could retest this load in that same gel but shooting through four layers of denim?  I was EDCing this load as what I had thought to be the perfect combination of animal/people defense (alaska, bears, moose, tweakers) until I saw the other test where the guy shot through four layers of denim into the clear gel and got crazy penetration.  I decided to switch to Buffalo Bore Tactical Low Recoil 180gr JHP which they load with the XTP bullet. But I'd really like to go back to the P10T1 load...especially since I have 8 cases of it.
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 6:28:10 AM EDT
[#21]
Performance of the 180gr Underwood Gold Dot looks great - 0.66" expansion and 18" penetration, with a wide wound track:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sl_n_miLfbY

And another gel test, showing between 12-16" penetration and huge expansion:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8Q6bEMJHpY
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 9:06:12 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Any chance you could retest this load in that same gel but shooting through four layers of denim?  I was EDCing this load as what I had thought to be the perfect combination of animal/people defense (alaska, bears, moose, tweakers) until I saw the other test where the guy shot through four layers of denim into the clear gel and got crazy penetration.  I decided to switch to Buffalo Bore Tactical Low Recoil 180gr JHP which they load with the XTP bullet. But I'd really like to go back to the P10T1 load...especially since I have 8 cases of it.
View Quote
Heavy clothing won't affect penetration of a soft point in a substantive way. There is no hollow point to clog. Clear gel can produce inaccurate penetration results, but it also gets softer with each reuse and people reuse it more times than they ought to. They also let it sit in the sun and warm up before testing. When I use clear gel, I keep it cool until just before the test.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top