Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/1/2023 11:00:01 AM EDT
I’m going on a 3 day mountain hike in black bear country. Taking my Glock 20.5 MOS with RMR and X300U which, along with a 19.5 MOS is my EDC.

My standard defensive carry load is a 165 grain Gold Dot at 1400 fps. I’ve used it with good results on deer and hogs as well but I thought I’d take something heavier for deeper penetration in case I happen to run into an aggressive bear.

The two choices I have available are Federal 200 grain Fusion bonded SP at 1200 fps and HSM 200 grain flat nose hard cast at 1050 FPS.

The Fusion should offer a good mix of penetration and controlled expansion while the HSM should be all penetration.

The bears should be at their leanest this time of year. Which would you go with?
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 11:34:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 12:04:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Double Tap makes a 230-grain hardcast load.  Biggest chunk of lead is best.  Runs flawlessly in my G20.

Click Here

Of your two choices, I'd go with the hardcast.  You don't want expansion.  You want penetration.
View Quote

what he said
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 12:08:17 PM EDT
[#3]
The expanding load. Black bears are small and an expanding load does more damage if it can reach the vitals.
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 9:50:48 PM EDT
[#4]
I'd also take the hardcast of the two options. My preferred ammo is Underwood 200 gr hardcast but any quality hardcast in 10mm works well for black bear.

Also correct me if I'm wrong, but are you saying you're taking both a 19.5 and 20.5 with you? Feels a bit unnecessary especially since you'll be hiking a lot and would be better off leaving the 19.5 behind since you're already carrying a 20.5.
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 10:56:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I'd also take the hardcast of the two options. My preferred ammo is Underwood 200 gr hardcast but any quality hardcast in 10mm works well for black bear.

Also correct me if I'm wrong, but are you saying you're taking both a 19.5 and 20.5 with you? Feels a bit unnecessary especially since you'll be hiking a lot and would be better off leaving the 19.5 behind since you're already carrying a 20.5.
View Quote

No, just that those are the two guns I carry daily, one or the other.
Link Posted: 4/2/2023 10:42:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Double Tap makes a 230-grain hardcast load.  Biggest chunk of lead is best.  Runs flawlessly in my G20.

Click Here

Of your two choices, I'd go with the hardcast.  You don't want expansion.  You want penetration.
View Quote

You're the only person whose Glock runs well with 220gr+ hard cast load.

Every time I've met someone who says that can't get through a magazine shooting one hand only without a malfunction.

Slow fire, 2 hands they might be fine.
Stick with 200gr for Glocks ime.
Link Posted: 4/2/2023 10:50:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/11/2023 7:27:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Silly newb, MAGNUM protection for Bear, NOT wannabe magnum performance!  This shit should've been learned in grade school OP!??
For the LAST TIME, 44mag for Bear protection, GOT IT!  You can thank me later Silly Goose????????
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 4:37:49 AM EDT
[#9]
Honestly, I wouldn't even want the 10mm. There are hardcast loads in 9mm that can easily kill black bears. Black bears and brown bears are nowhere near the same, yet IIRC, there was a guy in Alaska that killed a brown bear with hardcast 9mm.

ETA: Phil Shoemaker is the aforementioned guy. https://www.wideopenspaces.com/alaska-man-kills-charging-brown-bear-with-a-9mm-pistol/

Shot placement trumps just about everything, as always...
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 7:28:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Phil Shoemaker prefers the 10mm though.
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 9:33:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

You have to remember, this is a guy that has to deal with brown bears, not black bears. The point is that if he could take out a brown bear with 9mm hardcast, you can certainly do the same to a black bear.
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 10:14:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

You have to remember, this is a guy that has to deal with brown bears, not black bears. The point is that if he could take out a brown bear with 9mm hardcast, you can certainly do the same to a black bear.
View Quote

And Shoemaker will tell you that you want expanding bullets if your target is light enough to get away with it. Expanding bullets perform better if they still achieve sufficient penetration.
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 10:25:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Heavy load from Harbor Freight.

https://www.harborfreight.com/10mm-metric-essential-socket-set-10-piece-58957.html

Link Posted: 4/12/2023 10:56:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Click Here

View Quote

BOOM!!!

This
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 11:26:46 PM EDT
[#15]
I don't think I would feel undergunned if I carried anything when worried about a black bear. I hunted for years where the black bear roamed. I only encountered one on a very dark morning. I couldn't really see it, but the growling sounds were sure to let me know I was in a standoff. I announced that I would move the other way and he did the same. I think I could have taken him.
Link Posted: 4/13/2023 12:44:38 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

He typically carries a .44 mag mountain gun
Link Posted: 4/13/2023 1:14:30 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

He typically carries a .44 mag mountain gun
View Quote

Prefers it over 9mm. His real love is for the 416 Ruger or his 404. That 404 is beyond gorgeous.
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 8:26:49 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

BOOM!!!
This
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

BOOM!!!
This

Another 10mm HC option: Grizzly Cartridges 200grn & 220grn 10mm HC loads look really potent.  

Here’s the link:

https://grizzlycartridge.com/?s=10mm
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 9:01:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
The expanding load. Black bears are small and an expanding load does more damage if it can reach the vitals.
View Quote

I would agree with the ammo choices offered here. Heavy bullet is best. You need penetration. JHPs are not going to get to the vitals if you hit a shoulder or other large bone. I prefer the 10mm to the 44 Mag.

While I also agree that black bears are typically smaller than brown bears, we are seeing some massive blackies in East Tennessee and Western NC. Check this one out:

Massive NC Black Bear
Link Posted: 4/18/2023 5:08:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Underwood Hardcast 200 gr at 1250 FPS

Or

Underwood 220 gr Hardcast at 1200

Take your pic. Either should be plenty for black bears from what I’ve read.
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 4:00:11 PM EDT
[#22]
If you're hiking for 3 days and the only worry is Black Bear, I'd carry the lightest carry gun you own. Of the two I'd take the G19. Me personally, I'd carry my Shield Plus.

If you're set on carrying the G20, whatever your daily carry ammo is will work fine.
Link Posted: 4/20/2023 12:46:52 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
If you're hiking for 3 days and the only worry is Black Bear, I'd carry the lightest carry gun you own. Of the two I'd take the G19. Me personally, I'd carry my Shield Plus.

If you're set on carrying the G20, whatever your daily carry ammo is will work fine.
View Quote

+1  I don’t believe black bears wear body armor.
Link Posted: 4/20/2023 11:55:04 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'm more worried about moose and dogs than black bears.
Link Posted: 4/20/2023 2:57:06 PM EDT
[#25]
I recall being told that moose kill more people than bears even in Alaska. My dad lost a good friend that way.
Link Posted: 4/20/2023 4:11:30 PM EDT
[#26]
Out here in grizzly country we all carry 10mm with Underwood or Buffalo Bore hard-cast.
Carry, but I wouldn’t let black bear worry you. I had 9 face to face encounters last year.
Link Posted: 4/23/2023 11:53:46 PM EDT
[#27]
The Glock 20 is very popular here in Alaska as a trail gun.
We do modifications to the Glock 20 like add a KKM barrel and 22 pound recoil spring
Since Bears are our biggest threat we prefer
Underwood 200gr or 220gr Hardcast Ammo !
My G20 is my most carried sidearm really like that high capacity magazine compared to my 6 shot revolver .

Yes aggressive moose can be dangerous also !
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 12:49:18 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Out here in grizzly country we all carry 10mm with Underwood or Buffalo Bore hard-cast.
Carry, but I wouldn’t let black bear worry you. I had 9 face to face encounters last year.
View Quote

These threads are so silly.

"I carry a Glock 20 for bear protection."

"You rock, bruh!! Your ass is covered!!"

BUT

"I carry an 1873 Winchester in 38 WCF for bear protection."

"Are you crazy?!?!? You're gonna get KILLED!!"
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 11:43:32 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Every time I've met someone who says that can't get through a magazine shooting one hand only without a malfunction.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Click Here

Had a 20 gen 4 (recently sold it) that I put at the very least 400 rds of 220 underwood through it with 0 malfunctions. The jump in recoil is much higher, so it could be grip issues with the people that youve seen. I also could have just gotten lucky.
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 11:47:00 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 11:50:03 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Had a 20 gen 4 (recently sold it) that I put at the very least 400 rds of 220 underwood through it with 0 malfunctions. The jump in recoil is much higher, so it could be grip issues with the people that youve seen. I also could have just gotten lucky.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Click Here

Gen3 20SF with an aftermarket guide rod/spring.  I've never had problems with the DT 230gr.  I'm slowly working my way over to Underwood 200gr though.
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 12:04:15 PM EDT
[#32]
Here I am in grizz land with my g19.. hopefully I don’t make the news for a bear encounter..
Link Posted: 5/5/2023 1:14:58 AM EDT
[#33]
Black bear are nothing special and your regular carry handgun with a quality load will suffice.
Link Posted: 5/5/2023 1:38:38 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

Mine had such extreme slide velocity with 220gr underwood/buffalobore that the inertia when it hit the end of travel would prematurely activate the slide-stop.

I installed a threaded barrel and comp to reduce slide velocity and it shoots them beautifully now. 100% reliable and smooth. Annoying I had to spend $$ to make a new pistol run properly, but whatever. It’s great now.
Link Posted: 5/5/2023 2:58:42 AM EDT
[#35]
How about a good revolver in 44 mag , 45 long Colt heavy rounds , 454 , 460 or 500 SW.  12 gauge with slugs would be great.  Maybe not hike where bears could be????  You make your own choice good luck. Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/5/2023 9:29:32 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
 Maybe not hike where bears could be????  You make your own choice good luck. /media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/5ddc336bfd9db244c913783d-460.gif
View All Quotes
Quoted:
 Maybe not hike where bears could be????  You make your own choice good luck. /media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/5ddc336bfd9db244c913783d-460.gif

Originally Posted By Miamuto Musashi:
Do not sleep under a roof. Carry no money or food. Go alone to places frightening to the common brand of men.

You will encounter other apex predators in all of the most interesting and exciting places.
Link Posted: 5/7/2023 3:40:05 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Mine had such extreme slide velocity with 220gr underwood/buffalobore that the inertia when it hit the end of travel would prematurely activate the slide-stop.
View Quote

I had a G20-3 & G20-4 they both did this.  Makes me feel better I suspected but never new for sure if my grip was slipping and my thumbs were hitting.  After making sure my thumbs were out of the way and locked down still had it happen time to time.  I never considered a comp, I  sold the guns and looked at other 10mms.
Link Posted: 5/7/2023 5:15:48 PM EDT
[#38]
You seem to have your mind made up but if I were you I'd just keep the gold dot load that I was already zeroed for and knew worked in my gun.
Link Posted: 5/7/2023 5:46:02 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

Where is “grizzly country”?
Link Posted: 6/28/2023 12:45:03 AM EDT
[#40]
Doubletap 200 grain hardcast or 200 grain controlled expansion HP.
Link Posted: 6/28/2023 12:56:00 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

200 miles east of "Flavor Country"
Link Posted: 6/29/2023 9:15:14 PM EDT
[#42]
240grns of 10mm coated WFNGC bear hurt:

https://www.bengalbullets.com/shop/p/10-401-200-grain-wfngc-bb2m6

Just add AA #9, and you’re good ‘cuz.
Link Posted: 6/30/2023 2:02:12 PM EDT
[#43]
Best overall woods carry setup is a good 10 mm semi auto  with Underwood 200 grain flat nose black cherry hard cast. This combo can take care of any thing you run into . There is no problem shooting the 200 grain flat nose black cherry Underwood in the stock Glock barrel.
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 9:29:03 PM EDT
[#44]
Since I triggered your last thread getting nuked - here's your likely best answer:  @The_Syndicate
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top