Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/25/2019 1:22:44 PM EDT
Who has one. I’m interested.  I assume this will fire 40 with no problems?  My kids could shoot it with 40 but 10 might be a bit much for teen girls.  I have a six inch gp100 that they enjoy with 38s. I want the 4inch match champ.
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 5:41:41 PM EDT
[#1]
I plan on getting one soon. Will let you know what I think of it.
Link Posted: 8/3/2019 4:58:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Shooting 40 s&w in mine is hit and miss.  It will go bang 3-5 times per 6 in moon clip.  You need to buy 40 s&w specific moon clips if you want 100% funcition.  With 10mm, I have not had a malfunction.  I reload, so if I want light loads, then I just down load 10 mm brass to 40 S&W ballistics.  I do not regret buying my GP-100 Match Champion in 10mm.  In fact, I keep looking at and thinking about buying one in 357 as well.
Link Posted: 8/15/2019 6:29:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Got mine in. Love it. With Sellior & Bellot .40 I got 2 light strikes out of 50 rds.
I also ran 30 rds of remington .40 hollow points and they were 100%.
Needless to say 10mm was flawless.

The gun is not a light weight, but for what it is, I think Ruger did a really nice job.
Came with a decent trigger that is already getting better with use.

I will probably get some dedicated .40 moonclips.

As Tommy said above, I’m considering a .357.
Link Posted: 8/15/2019 6:49:21 PM EDT
[#4]
I have the 3" Wiley Clapp version.
Love shooting it but with 10mm it is a handful. Heavy little dude too.
Yes, it will fire .40S&W but you need the proper(thicker) moon clips. TK Customs has them but they are not cheap.
The Ruger brand 10mm moons are kinda weak sauce as they do not hold the ammo secure enough. You can easily pull the rounds by finger pressure. Fine for range use but not for rough duty. If you drop a loaded moon the rounds can pop right off the clip.
Link Posted: 8/15/2019 7:09:50 PM EDT
[#5]
That is messed up. There should be no difference between a 10mm and a 40S&W moonclips.  Ruger is not putting the face of the cylinder in the right place relative to the recoil shield thus the head space is out when head spacing on the moonclip and the only reason the 10mm is running is its head spacing on the case mouth.  I have run tens of thousand of 40 S&W through a 610 (a 10mm revolver from S&W) and never required a "special" moonclip.  The same moonclips work for both 10mm and 40S&W.  Having to use two separate moonclips just mean Ruger does not know how to make a rimless revolver.
Link Posted: 8/15/2019 7:48:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Not anti-revolver by any means but I don’t get the point of a 10mm revolver. If you want a 10, there is an abundance of quality semiautomatic choices without limiting yourself to 6 rounds. My G20s function fine with 40 as does my 1911.
Link Posted: 8/15/2019 9:57:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Not anti-revolver by any means but I don't get the point of a 10mm revolver. If you want a 10, there is an abundance of quality semiautomatic choices without limiting yourself to 6 rounds. My G20s function fine with 40 as does my 1911.
View Quote
It is a very niche product no doubt.  It is for guys that want a moderately powerful revolver that reloads quickly (or wants a revolver and is heavily invested in 10mm/40S&W).  Moonclips are by far the fastest way to reload a revolver and moonclips for revolvers chambered in rimless cartridges are far more robust then moonclips for a rimmed revolver. Shorter and fatter cartridge also aid this fast reload (hence Miculek world record with a S&W 625 in 45 ACP).  The 10mm revolver gives you comparable terminal performance to a 357 Magnum but with a faster more reliable reload.  If I didn't already have a S&W 610 I would be giving the GP100 in 10mm Auto a serious look.  A medium frame like the GP100 (or L-frame) really is a better fit for 10mm than the big N-frame (or Super Redhawk).  A four-inch fixed-sight version of the GP100 10mm would be a very fine combat revolver.  This assumes the 40S&W issue is resolved.

You could always have it reamed to 10mm Magnum if you really want to step up the power. 10mm Magnum, 10mm Auto, and 40S&W all from the same revolver.
Link Posted: 8/16/2019 9:37:44 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Not anti-revolver by any means but I don’t get the point of a 10mm revolver. If you want a 10, there is an abundance of quality semiautomatic choices without limiting yourself to 6 rounds. My G20s function fine with 40 as does my 1911.
View Quote
It isn't about getting there. It is about the journey.
I have a S&W 610, Ruger GP-100, Kimber long-slide 1911 in 10mm They're all fun and reliable.
Tried a Glock 20 and it was a hunk of junk. Multiple failures of all sorts. Got tired of spending money on springs, barrels, etc. It's gone and I'm glad.
Link Posted: 10/5/2019 11:29:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Just picked up a GP100 match champion in 10mm today, looking forward to trying it at the range soon.
My intent is to primarily run 40's through it, so this is the first I've heard about needing a specialized moon clip to reliably do so (?)
Link Posted: 10/6/2019 12:04:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
Same here.
Link Posted: 10/27/2019 10:47:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Finally got to try the GP100 Match Champion (10mm w/4.2" barrel) this weekend.
It handled some 10mm hollowpoint rounds with relative ease, but did need the thicker TK Customs moon clips and loader/unloader tools to reliably run 40 S&W.
What a nice shooting pistol, it's become a fast favorite in our household!
Link Posted: 11/3/2019 1:56:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Just a note to say that if you search for the TK Customs moon clips designed for 40S&W, some pictures will display them as being .032" thick.
This is NOT correct, you need the thicker .050" moon clips (and the loader/unloader tools) for the 40's to headspace properly in the 10mm cylinder.
TK Custom's own product listing on Amazon for a 10-pack of moon clips shows them as being .032" thick.
I told Tom that on the phone, and he said he'll change the Amazon listing to show the .050" ones.
Link Posted: 11/10/2019 6:48:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Not knocking you guys for the 10mm revolver thing, but as for a GP100 in 10mm it just doesn't seem to fill any unique shooting "need" IMO. I own both a GP100 in 6", and a Kimber Target II in 10mm. Ballistics wise they perform about the same, probably give a slight performance fps nod to favor the GP100 in 357 mag. I load 10mm and it's on the pricey side to handload.   But in the end it's your want and your money...
Link Posted: 11/23/2019 10:38:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
That is messed up. There should be no difference between a 10mm and a 40S&W moonclips.  Ruger is not putting the face of the cylinder in the right place relative to the recoil shield thus the head space is out when head spacing on the moonclip and the only reason the 10mm is running is its head spacing on the case mouth.  I have run tens of thousand of 40 S&W through a 610 (a 10mm revolver from S&W) and never required a "special" moonclip.  The same moonclips work for both 10mm and 40S&W.  Having to use two separate moonclips just mean Ruger does not know how to make a rimless revolver.
View Quote
The go into it some here...  https://revolverguy.com/psa-40-sw-in-the-10mm-gp100/

I like mine, I don't shoot 40, don't buy 40, don't reload 40, so was not/am not concerned about shooting 40 out of it.  I don't know if Ruger "offically" states you can shoot 40 out of it actually.  Anyway, TK's clips solve the issue for anyone that want's to shoot 40.  Rimz has some specific .40 moon clips for S&W that would probably work as well.

I thought I would change the grip over to the standard GP-100/Lett grip, but found I really like the Houge wood grip - it has a different angle than most typical revolver grips, more strait up and down.

As for why... I probably wouldn't recommend one as a first 10mm handgun, but for those of us who have several 10mm's and really enjoy shooting them, it's a nice addition to have.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top