Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/24/2021 7:34:44 PM EDT
We recently added a Hellcat and Shield Plus to the stable and I was wondering if the standard pressure 147gr HST will have enough energy out of the 3" barrel to perform as designed or if I need a hotter load? I hate to have to add a special round(especially in these times)but will if I have to.
Link Posted: 4/24/2021 8:13:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Several years ago a series called 9mm Ammo Quest was done by ShootingTheBull410.  His Ammo Quest was done utilizing handguns with 3" barrels.  P9HST2 (9mm 147gr standard pressure) performed well.  There are rounds that provide deeper penetration but this round was well over the FBI minimum.  I carry them in my Shield.
Ammo Quest 9mm: Federal HST 147gr standard pressure test in ballistic gel

The +P version (P9HST4) penetrated over an inch deeper, but when I was looking for them, they were hard to find, and I decided to go with the standard pressure because I could stack them deep at a great price at 36 cpr (at the time).  You can compare yourself, but I personally didn't think the difference was worth it.  YMMV
Ammo Quest 9mm: Federal HST 147gr+P ammo test in ballistic gelatin P9HST4
Link Posted: 4/24/2021 10:00:54 PM EDT
[#2]
thanks for the info. The standard pressure 147gr HSTs are stout enough in the Shield, I don't think I want to shoot +P
Link Posted: 4/24/2021 10:12:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
thanks for the info. The standard pressure 147gr HSTs are stout enough in the Shield, I don't think I want to shoot +P
View Quote

FWIW I can't tell the difference between 147 HST and 124 +P Gold Dots out of a Glock 43 or a Sig P365.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top