Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/1/2020 10:28:15 PM EDT
Got a new pistol today, a Shield .380, and the book that's with it said not to shoot +P's. Now I know there I a lot around here, so some must shoot the +P's, got any good info to share with a brother?
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 10:36:39 PM EDT
[#1]
+P .380 ammo?
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 10:46:35 PM EDT
[#2]
If it said not to , I wouldnt .

A few mags probably wouldn't hurt it .

Besides I thought SW OKed +Ps , maybe a newer model ?
Link Posted: 4/2/2020 5:38:00 PM EDT
[#3]
This is the EZ .380m, I guess it's a 2.0. I'll shoot a few, just regular for practice.
Link Posted: 4/3/2020 5:40:16 PM EDT
[#4]
The reason that S&W says no +P for .380 but it is OK for 9mm is because there is no SAMMI spec for .380+P. There is a spec for 9mm +P. Because of this, any manufacturers that market .380+P ammo can load it to whatever spec they want, or change that spec at the drop of a hat. That spec may be safe to fire or it may not. If SAMMI had a spec for it, then firearm manufacturers could evaluate it and decide if it is safe in their guns.

Having said all that, and keeping in mind that this is only my opinion, the .380 Shield EZ is a larger, more robust gun than something like a micro compact like an LCP. Also, I really don't think that ammo manufacturers would purposely make unsafe ammo, in this day and age of liability and lawsuits. Limited use of .380+P in something larger like the .380 EZ should be OK, just don't go hog wild and shoot nothing but +P. Carry +P hollow points for CCW and practice with standard velocity, only shooting enough of the +P to verify function. It will definitely accelerate wear, but I doubt it would catastrophically fail. Myself, if you need more power than .380, I think you should just move up to 9mm, not try to hot-rod .380. However, if the .380 is all you have and you can't afford another gun right now, I understand that, too. Just buy from a reputable manufacturer in case you have issues and be careful.
Link Posted: 4/3/2020 10:19:19 PM EDT
[#5]
OK then, bub75,, reckon I will shoot the normal ammo. IF I carry it, it will get the Underwood +P, that's what I shoot in a Glock 42. Thanks for the answer,,,,,
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top