Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 4/5/2009 10:29:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Own several of both brands, shoot both equally well, both fit my hands just fine.  

Having said that, I switched my primary carry gun to an XD.  Why?  Grip saftey is my #1 reason.  Why Glock won't concede that this is a "good idea" (TM) and follow suit is beyond me.  Glock seems so set in its ways that it's unwilling to modify any of their pistol designs.  Don't get me wrong, I've liked Glocks for a long time and will never part with any of mine.  I just find it odd that others in the gun industry are making changes and constantly trying to improve their product while Glock sits on essentially the same guns they've had for years.  I guess they feel they don't want to mess with "perfection" but to me it's clearly not perfection or it would have a grip safety at the very least

I do still occasionally carry my G26 when I feel my XD45 compact is a bit large for the occasion.
Link Posted: 4/5/2009 10:34:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
here a video:

Glock VS. XD

"Durrr, this here grip safety? Why do we need it?  We don't..."     Wow, this guy is a genius. Wonder if he's ever put a hole in his leg while reholstering?  Owning three Glocks myself, I still recognize the design weaknesses of any and all pistols.  Talk about blindly reviewing based on your brand preference.
Link Posted: 4/5/2009 10:49:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Glock = Win
Link Posted: 4/7/2009 5:58:03 PM EDT
[#4]
I had a glock and got rid of it, I just didn't feel right in my hands. The XD felt really good and shot well so I took it home. Both reliable pistols.

Check out THIS I belive springfield reprinted this but it was an independant test by some gun club.
Link Posted: 4/7/2009 8:05:19 PM EDT
[#5]
I prefer a beretta over both. The XDm is top heavy, and the glock feels like crap.

but my opinion.
Link Posted: 4/8/2009 7:13:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Get a Steyr, the next generation Glock...

My M9-A1 looks better than a Glock, and it is just as reliable, and it is basically the same thing, just different which is cool.
Link Posted: 4/8/2009 8:55:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I prefer a beretta over both. The XDm is top heavy, and the glock feels like crap.

but my opinion.

Is it the slide mounted controls of the Beretta that make you prefer it over the XD and Glock?
Link Posted: 4/11/2009 2:50:19 PM EDT
[#8]
shoot each one and decide. but me personaly i have shot both and i own 3 glocks no XD'S. the xd has more parts in the gun and that to me is more chance of a failure.
Link Posted: 4/13/2009 3:56:51 PM EDT
[#9]
I voted "other" because you like the XD, but you need to look at the XDM if you're looking for the full size anyway!
Link Posted: 4/14/2009 4:42:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I see no one chiming in uses a .40 Glock ... wonder why that is

because the poll is about a 9mm pistol perhaps?
Link Posted: 4/14/2009 5:18:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Get an HK, you'll be much happier, I know I was.
Link Posted: 4/14/2009 5:21:31 PM EDT
[#12]

i've owned both...XDs die  faster
Link Posted: 4/14/2009 6:26:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Glock!
Link Posted: 4/14/2009 6:46:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Of the ones offered I would pick the XD. Glocks don't like my hands, they are good pistols just don't work for me. XD's fit better but the P99 AS fit the best and I still kick myself for selling it . So with that being said try out abunch and see which one works for you. randomly picking one from the interweb is at best a crap shoot. The interweb can help narrow down the field but in the end get one that works for you.
Link Posted: 5/31/2009 7:41:32 PM EDT
[#15]
My normal carry gun was a Sig P229 in 9mm until I was able to hold the XD.  I tried the Glock and it just did not fit right in my hand. the XD was more comfortable for me because it was
more like my Sig. Walked out with it that day. It really boils down to what you are comfortable with and what fits your hand. Kind of like have your buddy drive a new car for you that
you want to buy. Does not go for him to make the choice, you will be taking it home not him.
Link Posted: 6/1/2009 1:27:09 PM EDT
[#16]
XD because Glock rymes with Cock ... ewwww.
Link Posted: 6/1/2009 1:39:56 PM EDT
[#17]
XD9. Glock ergos and trigger do not cut it for me and the XD does. I do not feel the need to add a .40 to my firearms because .22, 9mm and .45 ACP are enough for autos. My only reason for buying a polymer framed pistol was as a hi-cap nightstand weapon that I was unlikely to need to reload if I ever have to bring it out. I like the XD9 enough that I may trade mine in on a XDm. Or, I may take a closer look at the FNP-45. A hi-cap .45ACP with the capability to keep it in condition 1 is very tempting if it fits well and the trigger feels good. We shall see.
Link Posted: 6/1/2009 5:41:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Grip safeties are a gay and ancillary feature at best.... coming from a guy who loves his 1911.  Glock is the way to go for so many reasons its unbelievable.  Reliability, parts availability, sighting options, holsters, cheap OEM mags, etc.  

I've shot both, I bought the Glock 19.  The XD has a "better" grip angle, but the Glock has a better trigger and reset, in addition to having a lower bore axis (the XD is noticeably "snappier").  I can train around the grip angle, but I don't want to have to modify my pistol to make it work the way it should out of the box. 2-1 Glock in ergos.  

The XD is a Croatian Glock rip-off with added complexity.
Link Posted: 6/1/2009 6:34:58 PM EDT
[#19]
glock, hands down, all the time every time
Link Posted: 6/1/2009 7:53:47 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

All my Glocks are .40 and believe it or not I still have all my fingers and toes.  OP:  go Glock and don't look back.
Link Posted: 6/1/2009 8:26:08 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
My normal carry gun was a Sig P229 in 9mm until I was able to hold the XD.  I tried the Glock and it just did not fit right in my hand. the XD was more comfortable for me because it was
more like my Sig. Walked out with it that day. It really boils down to what you are comfortable with and what fits your hand. Kind of like have your buddy drive a new car for you that
you want to buy. Does not go for him to make the choice, you will be taking it home not him.

Is there any reason you decided to rez a month and a half old thread?
Link Posted: 6/1/2009 8:32:24 PM EDT
[#22]
had the glock and traded it for my first XD. Ive never looked back.

For me the XD aims naturally and fits my hand better. Shoot them both at the range and choose after that
Link Posted: 6/1/2009 11:55:34 PM EDT
[#23]
I'd vote Glock if only due to the number of aftermarket customizable components and the simplicity (read durability) of its design.
Link Posted: 6/5/2009 7:22:12 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Because there was only one guy professional enough to handle one but he shot himself so now no one is professional enough for the Glock .40.
Link Posted: 6/5/2009 8:33:22 AM EDT
[#25]
XD because glocks blow up.
Link Posted: 6/5/2009 8:40:45 AM EDT
[#26]
The XD corrects the GLOCK's mistakes.

'Nuff said.

(sounds just as stupid as the glock kool-aid drinkers saying it)
Link Posted: 6/5/2009 12:58:00 PM EDT
[#27]
Glock

Link Posted: 6/5/2009 1:27:56 PM EDT
[#28]
sig 229
Link Posted: 6/5/2009 1:39:23 PM EDT
[#29]
Both are good weapons.  First semi-auto handgun I shot was a rented Glock 9mm from a range (I forget the model, but think it was a 19).  Felt good in my hand and I shot it really well.  My first handgun purchase was the XD45C.  I wanted a 45 ACP caliber and liked the feel of the XD better than the comprable Glock.  I have not had a single issue in the near 1,000 rounds I have put down range.  It has run flawlessly and has eaten everything I have run through it.  

In summation, I don't think you could go wrong with either brand.  Definitely hold each in your hand, side by side.  If possible, rent them at the same time and see which one you like to shoot more.  Whichever it turns out to be, buy it.  You won't regret it.
Link Posted: 6/7/2009 1:56:41 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

'Nuff said.

The XD is a hunk of shit

I've owned 3 XDs and 2 of them had to be sent back to SA to have the internal extractor re-torqued.

The XDs accuracy sucks and they are a pain in the ass to completely dissassemble.

The roll pin on my XD .45c sheared laterally (the pin that retains the firing pin) and SA wouldn't send me a replacement. They wanted me to send my gun to them. I went to Ace True-Value hardware and bought a replacement.

The XD trigger felt like gritty crap, and it had a long vague reset.

The Glock 9mm is an infinitely better weapon.

XD failure to extract

Link Posted: 6/7/2009 2:07:12 PM EDT
[#31]
In 9mm, I still have to say the Glock, but if you are going to move up to the 40 or 45, go with the XD.

My $.02.
Link Posted: 6/7/2009 6:40:46 PM EDT
[#32]
how is this thread still going?

glock ftw
Link Posted: 6/8/2009 6:05:17 AM EDT
[#33]
Glock 17.  25 years of superlative performance, adoption by thousands of agencies and armed forces all over the world, and widely available parts and accessories that anyone can install.  vs...  Well, the XD does have a grip safety.  Wait, that's right, grip safeties suck.  What else?  Oh yeah, the Fobus holster!  No, they suck too.  I'm gonna have to go with the Glock.
Link Posted: 6/8/2009 4:20:04 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 6/8/2009 5:15:32 PM EDT
[#35]
For me its the Glock because
-Been around heck of alot longer- more parts, support and aftermarket
-Way easier to detail strip than the XD.  For me being able to work on my guns myself and replace any necessary part is a big factor
-Glocks are simple.  Less parts to break (grip safety for example)
-XD's trigger reset is long (at least on all the ones I have shot), Glock is relatively short and quick.
-Lower bore axis than the XD
-better finish

The XD is not a bad gun, but defiently not my first choice
Link Posted: 6/8/2009 6:01:46 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:
here a video:

Glock VS. XD

"Durrr, this here grip safety? Why do we need it?  We don't..."     Wow, this guy is a genius. Wonder if he's ever put a hole in his leg while reholstering?  Owning three Glocks myself, I still recognize the design weaknesses of any and all pistols.  Talk about blindly reviewing based on your brand preference.

I watched a couple of that guy's videos and they are replete with gross inaccuracies and he even misidentifies the controls on some of the pistols he's handling.

He gave the M&P a big thumbs up review but he didn't know a damn thing about the pistol and made quite a few laughable mistakes.

I don't have a dog in the Glock Vs XD hunt since I personally prefer M&Ps to either of them; but I wouldn't put any stock into anything that guy says on his videos.

Link Posted: 6/9/2009 4:47:12 AM EDT
[#37]
Edit
Link Posted: 6/9/2009 5:02:52 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:

'Nuff said.

The XD is a hunk of shit

I've owned 3 XDs and 2 of them had to be sent back to SA to have the internal extractor re-torqued.

The XDs accuracy sucks and they are a pain in the ass to completely dissassemble.

The roll pin on my XD .45c sheared laterally (the pin that retains the firing pin) and SA wouldn't send me a replacement. They wanted me to send my gun to them. I went to Ace True-Value hardware and bought a replacement.

The XD trigger felt like gritty crap, and it had a long vague reset.

The Glock 9mm is an infinitely better weapon.

XD failure to extract

http://i434.photobucket.com/albums/qq64/LowSpeedHighDrag/Glock.jpg

The glock is a hunk of shit because I have had two separate frame failures, one frame rail failure, Several instances of slide separating off the frame while shooting, two separate instances of an unsupported chamber failure with issued factory ammo, and it still doesn't point natural.

Link Posted: 6/12/2009 9:29:57 AM EDT
[#39]
XD, M that is.  Although I would still take the standard XD over the Glock.  Better fit for my hand.  And fully supported chamber so you can reload the brass.  I don't like the idea of having to buy an after market barrel just so you can save the brass.  WTF!!!
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 10:39:50 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 10:41:04 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 5:23:20 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
The Glock in some form has been adopted as the standard sidearm of a number of law enforcement agencies in the US, including high-profile agencies like the FBI, DEA, and others.

The XD has not met with that success.

There are reasons for that set of facts, and a large chunk of the reasons have to do with long term reliability, long term durability, and long term support of the platform. While the non-9mm Glocks have had a number of issues, the 9mm Glocks by and large work extremely well.

...thus I wouldn't select an XD over a 9mm Glock for serious social purposes.

Glock 19...  not much to add to the above.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 6:31:23 AM EDT
[#43]
Glock, because no matter what Springfield does to the XD, it will always be a 300 dollar pistol from the land of Tony Kukoc.

Back when it was the HS2000 and people were honest about it, it was a great gun for the price.

Now that springfield bought it, jacked up the price 150 bucks, made parts almost impossible to obtain, its an overpriced foreign pistol with an american name on the side that requires factory attention for basic maintenence.

The XDm is what the springfield version should have been right off the bat.  Atleast make some improvements before you jack up the price.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 8:42:02 AM EDT
[#44]
CZ 75 or CZ P01.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 10:40:40 AM EDT
[#45]
I only own a glock 19 in 9mm but i do own the XD45 compact and love both pistols... im no glock fanatic and dont judge a pistol by the name on it..if i had to pick just one of the two id take the XD but thats mainly due to my preference to the 45acp over 9mm but i like my glock ALOT aswell....just to hard of a choice for me... i do like the grip safty on the XD and performance of both shows one is no better then the other IMO
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 11:03:34 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 11:05:44 AM EDT
[#47]
I never heard of one LE agency authorizing or carrying XD's.  In fact, when I started the police academy, recruits had to purchase their  own weapon.  No XD's authorized in the state of Florida for duty use or training. Some recruits where pissed  It seems the XD is only popular with civilian shooters.

-Pete
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 11:49:52 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:
here a video:

Glock VS. XD

When you are holstering an xd you are still holding the grip safety so what is trhe difference?
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 11:51:17 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:

because the poll is about a 9mm pistol perhaps?

Or because the guys with 40 cal glocks dont have hands to type with anymore.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 12:16:32 PM EDT
[#50]
I would get the XDm over a Glock 17 or an XD9.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top