Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/2/2011 6:31:13 PM EDT
[#1]
For those of you who don't carry a spare mag because you "won't have time to use it"... what if your threat is not immediately in front of you (as within a couple feet), or there is more than one threat? We can make up bullshit stories to justify carrying 87 guns and spare mags, but multiple attackers and threats from somewhere other than 2 feet away happen a lot.

If you have a chance to get behind cover and you have no spare mag, what do you do then? Kick yourself in the balls?
Link Posted: 3/2/2011 7:20:22 PM EDT
[#2]
I have an XD45 Service.   There is 13+1 rounds in the gun plus two mags with 26 more rounds.

I always carry a couple of spare mags on my person.  If I'm in the car there are two more mags in the glove box.

Plus a shotgun in the trunk.  

Better to have it and not need it then to need it and not have it.

Link Posted: 3/2/2011 11:28:00 PM EDT
[#3]
I say always carry at least one spare.

My current setup is a XDm 9, plus a spare in a Kytex single pouch.

I've decided on switching my EDC from the XDm, to a Glock 17. When I do, I'll be buying a DOUBLE Kytex pouch. It is too easy to carry one spare that I've concluded there's no reason not to carry two spares! Seriously, if you've made the decision that you're going to carry a gun, there is zero reason not to carry at least one spare mag.

MF
Link Posted: 3/3/2011 3:03:10 AM EDT
[#4]
I used to carry a Hi power with two spare mags.  I figured I'd need em if it ever came to using the damned thing.  Cyclic rate on that pistol was so high once I converted it (Calm down I was in baghdad at the time and it was before the extraterritorial jurisdiction act and I wasn't in the service) that it would dump the whole magazine whenever I pulled the trigger.  Damned thing sounded like the CRAM and controling it was pretty much impossible to control but that was OK. It was my get away from potential kidnappers surprise.  

I sure wish that I could have toys like that at home.

Link Posted: 3/3/2011 10:44:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I used to carry a Hi power with two spare mags.  I figured I'd need em if it ever came to using the damned thing.  Cyclic rate on that pistol was so high once I converted it (Calm down I was in baghdad at the time and it was before the extraterritorial jurisdiction act and I wasn't in the service) that it would dump the whole magazine whenever I pulled the trigger.  Damned thing sounded like the CRAM and controling it was pretty much impossible to control but that was OK. It was my get away from potential kidnappers surprise.  

sounds cool!  You need a converted 100 round UZI mag for that!!!  (and a spare!)
Link Posted: 3/3/2011 6:35:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Do want!
Link Posted: 3/4/2011 7:22:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Yes.
Link Posted: 3/6/2011 6:26:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yes.

Malfunction drills.

This, I typically carry two spares, a BUG as well

This. For malf's, tac reloads, murphy, etc. You can play the game all day long. Mag capacity always seems to be the least concern.

Link Posted: 3/6/2011 6:35:44 PM EDT
[#9]

Incorrect. I have 17+1 rounds of 9mm in my CC piece.

And I carry two spare 23 round magazines.

Link Posted: 3/7/2011 7:33:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/7/2011 8:04:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Always carry a spare magazine for failures.  It just makes sense.
Link Posted: 3/7/2011 8:29:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Yes.
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 6:13:49 AM EDT
[#13]
Personally, I think you should ALWAYS have atleast 1 extra mag.
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 6:38:42 AM EDT
[#14]
+1 for malfunctions
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 10:35:25 AM EDT
[#15]
As others have stated, always carry a spare.

As for how to carry it, what I use in the horizontal orientation:

Link Posted: 4/28/2011 10:55:16 AM EDT
[#16]
I like my 19+1 in the holster, 19 more in pocket.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 11:12:37 AM EDT
[#17]
I'm an exception.  I don't carry an extra mag for my G19.  Why not?

1.  I test the mags I use.  Mags that fail get tossed.  I only carry genuine glock mags.
2.  My malf drill is tap, rack, bang.  This solves most malfunctions, and is what I train for.  
3.  I have a very hard time envisioning a situation where I need more than 16 rounds, for where I normally am.  If I leave that area, I often carry one or more spare mags.
4.  I can't find a comfortable way to carry a spare mag.  Glock mags aren't exactly small.  If I carried a 1911, then I'd probably carry a spare mag.

Does this mean that murphy might catch up with me?  I suppose so.  But you can't plan for every far-feched situation.

I can't find reference to a single case where a person in a CCW situation would have had the outcome changed by having an extra mag for a high cap pistol.  Cops?  Sure.  Home defense?  Yeah.  But private person CCW?  I can't fine one.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 11:27:16 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

1.  I test the mags I use.  Mags that fail get tossed.  I only carry genuine glock mags.
2.  My malf drill is tap, rack, bang.  This solves most malfunctions, and is what I train for.  
3.  I have a very hard time envisioning a situation where I need more than 16 rounds, for where I normally am.  If I leave that area, I often carry one or more spare mags.
4.  I can't find a comfortable way to carry a spare mag.  Glock mags aren't exactly small.  If I carried a 1911, then I'd probably carry a spare mag.

Does this mean that murphy might catch up with me?  I suppose so.  But you can't plan for every far-feched situation.

I can't find reference to a single case where a person in a CCW situation would have had the outcome changed by having an extra mag for a high cap pistol.  Cops?  Sure.  Home defense?  Yeah.  But private person CCW?  I can't fine one.

I don't recall who it was, but I remember reading about someone who was driving on a trip one time.  The short version is when he got to the hotel that night he noticed his gun didn't have a mag in it.  Somehow the mag release was pressed while seated and dropped the mag in between the seats.  

While I don't think this is going to happen to me, I would say the odds aren't that much greater than me actually having to use my gun in self defense.

The moral of the story is you just never know what could happen.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 11:53:32 AM EDT
[#19]
Don't take this the wrong way but you need to seek professional training.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 12:26:01 PM EDT
[#20]
the primary mag can fail, get dropped, lost, forgotten, etc. always carry a spare.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 12:51:57 PM EDT
[#21]
yeah, I always carry a spare mag
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 12:57:08 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't recall who it was, but I remember reading about someone who was driving on a trip one time.  The short version is when he got to the hotel that night he noticed his gun didn't have a mag in it.  Somehow the mag release was pressed while seated and dropped the mag in between the seats.  

While I don't think this is going to happen to me, I would say the odds aren't that much greater than me actually having to use my gun in self defense.

The moral of the story is you just never know what could happen.

If I'm on a trip, I'll take a spare mag, as I mentioned in point 3 above.  Also, fear of dropping a mag is one reason I don't use extended slide releases....  Is there always some possibility of things going wrong?  Sure.  But for ME, in MY SITUATION, I really don't see carrying a spare mag as something to be terribly worried about.  
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 1:03:19 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I'm not sure if that's directed toward me or not, but if so, may I ask why?  Or why you assume I haven't done so?  I've had "instructors" here assure people that a 5 shot .38 snubby is plenty of gun.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 1:40:30 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm not sure if that's directed toward me or not, but if so, may I ask why?  Or why you assume I haven't done so?  I've had "instructors" here assure people that a 5 shot .38 snubby is plenty of gun.

I'm talking to the OP.

Link Posted: 4/29/2011 3:34:01 PM EDT
[#25]
I'll echo the rest of the board. Magazine failures and malfunctions suck. I carry a spare magazine for that reason alone...although extra rounds are a huge plus too
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 3:57:04 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I hardly ever carry a spare mag but I'm just crazy like that

It's not that I don't think it's a good idea, but rather a comfort/convenience thing.

I don't recommend NOT carrying a spare if you are willing / able to.

The way I see it is this.  You have a Glock 19 Colt 1911, practically the gold standard of reliability.  The likelihood of needing to deploy it is very slim.  Multiply those odds by the likelihood that 15 8 rounds won't be sufficient.  Multiply those odds by the likelihood that you'll have a malfunction.  I realize that this isn't the actual way to calculate your odds but my point is that FOR ME, I feel the odds are in my favor.  Nothing in life is guaranteed.

Again, I don't recommend NOT carrying a spare if you are willing / able to.

Ditto, but for a few changes.

Spare mags in the car, though. If I could I'd carry two 1911 mags, one BUG mag/speed loader, my Ka-Bar, a Leatherman, Kershaw Military, phone, and eReader on my belt. I'm not a skinny person but I don't have that much real estate. I'm kind of an all or nothing type (not quite OCD, however) so I either get by with the absolute minimum or fill a pretty hefty backpack just to leave the house.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top