Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/13/2006 2:56:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Umm the water in Germany is just fine, as well as the water in all therest of Europe. yes Cz is operating out of the Czech Republic and also own Bruno, i believe. i have a CZ 85 and its a wonderful pistol, it will shoot anything except aluminum cased CCI.
btw- mexicans get sick on our water when they come to texas. different pathogens in different parts of the world.

-ignore misspellings
Link Posted: 9/13/2006 4:23:52 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Sorry, I was a history major.

Czechoslovakia broke into the Czech Republic and Slovakia.  Croatia was part of Yugoslavia, which broke into Serbia, Bosnia, and Croatia.  WOW! I actually remember something from college.

OK, thank you for the lesson.  But the larger point was that just because it's from there (one of them countries) doesn't make it low quality.  Personally, I have no dog in this hunt because I really like my beretta.
Link Posted: 9/14/2006 11:07:40 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Never knew Springfield had any part of their guns made outside the U.S. Interesting.
Springfield Armory is just the name of a company, nothing more.  They have no affiliation whatsoever with the original Springfield Armory and are just trying to capitalize off their good reputation.  

You're kidding I hope.

I'm not joking.

The current "Springfield Armory" simply bought the rights to the name back in the ~1970's after the REAL Springfield Armory was shut down.  

They didn't buy the rights to the name, once the "real" Springfield Armory was gone, they simply took it and registered the name;  it was already in the "public domain".
Link Posted: 9/14/2006 11:43:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Interesting. I honestly had no idea that S.A. of today has absolutely no connection to the original.

Link Posted: 9/28/2006 8:40:40 AM EDT
[#5]
nothing wrong with my xd's

Link Posted: 9/28/2006 9:52:23 AM EDT
[#6]
I happen to be Croatian, so I am sick and tired of reading " it must be a POS because its made in Croatia". You know what else Croatians made? Mausers, lots of em, and many of you here probably own one or even several "Yugo" Mausers. I guess all those rifles are sorry ass POS's, huh? How many of you have one of the "Yugo" AK's or SKS's?
Guess what, many of those were also made by Croatians.

Oh, one more thing. In many parts of the world (Europe and Japan mainly), "Made in the USA", means inferior quality crap. The US is not the industrial manufacturing power it once was.
Link Posted: 9/28/2006 12:44:24 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Never knew Springfield had any part of their guns made outside the U.S. Interesting.
Springfield Armory is just the name of a company, nothing more.  They have no affiliation whatsoever with the original Springfield Armory and are just trying to capitalize off their good reputation.  

You're kidding I hope.

I think they're custom shop here in the USA is capable of kicking out good guns, no?  It's the brazilian stuff that can be hit and miss.  Same goes for their M1A receivers which have an even worse reputation. (also of brazilian decent)

I'm not about boycotting a company that has foreign components, however.  As long as the Quality is there.

Interesting. I was never aware...and always thought of them as a pretty all American company.

Guess not.

Yippee NAFTA.

From H**ver's:

What's in a name? If you're Springfield Armory, your name carries more than 200 years of firepower behind it. The company manufactures pistols and rifles (including the the 1911 and XD pistol series) for personal, military, law enforcement, and competitive use. The original Springfield Armory, designated as the country's first arsenal by George Washington in 1794, ceased operations in 1968. In 1974 Robert Reese, in his move to give it his best shot, purchased the Springfield Armory name. During the 1980's his two sons (and current co-chairmen) purchased the company from their father.

Officers & Employees
Title.......................................Name..................................Age.............Salary............Bonus
Co-Chairman.......................Tom Reese
Co-Chairman and CEO.......Dennis (Denny) Reese
Pistolsmith..........................Jason Chambless

Notes: I don't see anything about a third major investor/shareholder, and the Overview states that old man Reese *did* purchase the name.  From whom, I haven't the foggiest.  For what it's all worth.
Link Posted: 9/28/2006 12:51:30 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Two American brothers own Springfield which they inherited from their father who started the current business of SA. Sometime ago the two brothers decided to bring in a partner to have an odd number of disputes to settle disagreements of policy etc etc. The new guy is a wealthy investor who lives overseas. So in essence SA is at least 33% foriegn owned.

Yet Colt's majority shareholder is reportedly an investor's group led by a French guy and a Saudi Arabian.

Do you mean Colt's Manufacturing Company, LLC, Colt Defense Inc, or another business?
Link Posted: 9/28/2006 12:58:49 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm still trying to figure out what all this has to do with the quality of their weapons. I've yet to have a bad experience with any of the Springfield products I've messed with.
Link Posted: 9/28/2006 8:31:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Springfield has been great to me. Both 1911's and an M1A. No problems.
Link Posted: 9/30/2006 8:34:56 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I happen to be Croatian, so I am sick and tired of reading " it must be a POS because its made in Croatia". You know what else Croatians made? Mausers, lots of em, and many of you here probably own one or even several "Yugo" Mausers. I guess all those rifles are sorry ass POS's, huh? How many of you have one of the "Yugo" AK's or SKS's?

Oh, one more thing. In many parts of the world (Europe and Japan mainly), "Made in the USA", means inferior quality crap. The US is not the industrial manufacturing power it once was.

You sir are 100% correct.

I've owned MANY firearms from that region of the world.  ALL of them are great pieces.
My luck with MODERN US guns?   Not so good.  
Link Posted: 10/1/2006 2:03:01 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Two American brothers own Springfield which they inherited from their father who started the current business of SA. Sometime ago the two brothers decided to bring in a partner to have an odd number of disputes to settle disagreements of policy etc etc. The new guy is a wealthy investor who lives overseas. So in essence SA is at least 33% foriegn owned.

Yet Colt's majority shareholder is reportedly an investor's group led by a French guy and a Saudi Arabian.

Do you mean Colt's Manufacturing Company, LLC, Colt Defense Inc, or another business?

Colt's Defense is now owned by General Dynamics.
Link Posted: 10/1/2006 7:12:45 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Colt's Defense is now owned by General Dynamics.

Thx.  The latest info Hoover's had for CDI was 2004.  I wondered why.
Link Posted: 10/3/2006 3:47:44 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
never buy a gun or ammo from a country you will not drink the water in.

Actually, water's fine in Croatia.  Albania is a little dicey, but they gave us the Belushi brothers, so that explains some things ;)

Quoted:
Springfield an unethical company because they bought the old springfield name?  Well, I think that's a bit of an overstatement.

I hope so, because that would make my ArmaLites evil, as well.

Link Posted: 10/17/2006 5:14:17 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

I have a Yugo AK underfolder, and I swear if I had the talent I could carve a case out of wood stick a primer powder and bullet and it would fire it. I have no qualms about Croatian goods.
Link Posted: 10/17/2006 8:11:22 PM EDT
[#16]
O and I think Elmer Ballance originally started Springfield Inc. in Devine Texas making M1a's/M14s  with his receiver and surplus parts.  he sold out to the current family.

Two years ago I didn't know that.  I found it here on the intrawebby thingy.  (m14forums)

O and I'd be happy to have a yugo ak or a BRNO .22 rifle.   Very well made stuff.  Those BRNOs are a fantastic buy for the dollar.  I don't have one but do like them.

SoS
Link Posted: 10/17/2006 8:15:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Its sad though, is anything really made in US anymore?
Link Posted: 10/18/2006 4:29:42 AM EDT
[#18]
Kimber, S&W, AO, Colt, Dan Wesson, STI are made in America. They may outsource some MIM parts, no doubt, but that's common to all industries. Kimber makes their own MIM parts, not sure on the others.

Donald Zilkha &Co own the majority of shares in Colt. They are an investment banker, basically, in NYC. He was born in Irag.

You "need" companies like Springfield, imported or not, because the major AMERICAN companies like Kimber and S&W decided that we(1911 users) needed FP safties activated by the grip safety and external extractors...oh really .

Springfield offers "standard" configurations of the 1911 that are quality and reasonably priced...in volume. And, support the shooting sports, have a "real" custom shop, offer new models and a "real" lifetime warranty.

Would you want to rely on Colt for that? A company owned by a NYC investment banker!
Link Posted: 10/18/2006 6:31:52 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

It's "sad" for me, too, for emotional reasons.

But in reality, there's nothing sad about it.  As a general rule, the only things made in the U.S. are things that *need* to be made in the U.S.  If we don't *need* to make it in the U.S., why waste our time/talent on that?

FWIW, American gunsmiths are kind of like BASF: "We don't make a lot of the products you buy; we make a lot of the products you buy.... better."

As good as most/many guns are out of the box, gunsmithing is still (and for the forseeable future) a value-added service.
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 12:31:39 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Well, if you love croatia so much, and have such a low opinion of things American there is a good remedy for that. don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Oh, Yeah.. Europe and Japan, those places America defeated then was good enough to spend money and effort to rebuild..  
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 12:32:55 PM EDT
[#21]
Wow, I never imagined this threade would take off like it did. Cool Beans.
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 1:32:28 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Of course not.  When you rip off a good design like Glock, you have to really try to screw it up.
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 6:32:18 PM EDT
[#23]
WOW..I need to read more about firearms, I just bougt a new xd 45 acp is this junk firearm,  is it no good please let me know.. I attend to use this for carry.oh no , I thought sa was a damn fine pistola
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 8:10:47 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well, if you love croatia so much, and have such a low opinion of things American there is a good remedy for that. don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Oh, Yeah.. Europe and Japan, those places America defeated then was good enough to spend money and effort to rebuild..  

Well then you can go back to Europe too. I really doubt that your family originated here. Chances are you're descended from immigrants as well, so STFU. There is nothing wrong with having pride in where you came from, and being proud to be an American. My family emigrated here from Croatia, I however was born here. I took the time to learn about my ancestors, and take pride in where I came from. So forgive me if I take offense to someone denigrating my families heritage. How about you tell me what your family's ancestory is and I'll make fun of it, would you like it if I insulted your family? It is also a fact that American manufacturing is not what it used to be. Very few quality products are even made here anymore. Do you deny it? Do you deny that other countries make excellent products? Not everything made here is great.
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 8:21:05 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
WOW..I need to read more about firearms, I just bougt a new xd 45 acp is this junk firearm,  is it no good please let me know.. I attend to use this for carry.oh no , I thought sa was a damn fine pistola

Shoot it. If it doesn't choke, it's fine.
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 1:07:16 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Of course there is. For anyone who doesn't want to waste their money on some piece of shit gun made anywhere outside our quality-demanding US of A, they can purchase one of these:

Link Posted: 10/27/2006 3:06:49 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Of course not.  When you rip off a good design like Glock, you have to really try to screw it up.

your right i guess S&W M&P,  and the kimber KPD, taurus 24X7 socom, beretta, px4    didn't try the same thing  
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 6:43:57 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:
All NM/LW/CRG serial numbered Springfield's are made in the USA. They are built from imported blank IMBEL forgings though.

I find SA's capitalizing of the Springfield Armory name a little distasteful, but I can think of many other companies who have done such with brand names, as well as others who bought the rights to a government name.

I'm a Springfield 1911 fan, but I wouldn't buy any of their M1A's, nor would I buy a GI or Mil Spec 1911 unless it was for modification.

Same here, I love my Springfield 1911 TRP, but I would NEVER buy any of their M1's or XD's.

Have you tried the XD??
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 9:52:53 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Of course there is. For anyone who doesn't want to waste their money on some piece of shit gun made anywhere outside our quality-demanding US of A, they can purchase one of these:

i54.photobucket.com/albums/g111/avtomat762/WLeft380TT.jpg

How dare you hold up for ridicule the great American pistol powerhouse of Jiminez Arms!!
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 9:53:03 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well then you can go back to Europe too. I really doubt that your family originated here. Chances are you're descended from immigrants as well, so STFU. There is nothing wrong with having pride in where you came from, and being proud to be an American. My family emigrated here from Croatia, I however was born here. I took the time to learn about my ancestors, and take pride in where I came from. So forgive me if I take offense to someone denigrating my families heritage. How about you tell me what your family's ancestory is and I'll make fun of it, would you like it if I insulted your family? It is also a fact that American manufacturing is not what it used to be. Very few quality products are even made here anymore. Do you deny it? Do you deny that other countries make excellent products? Not everything made here is great.

actually, I'm half native American Indian and the other half is Anglo Saxon/English, yeah the people who founded our country. So no, not an immigrant. No, not everything that is made in the U.S. is great but there are still many things made here, and the reason other countries can now make quality products is because we gave them or they sstold our production methods. If you're an american then ut comes first then the hyphenated ancestries come second. unless of course your a regular american like me then this great country is your history.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 1:28:17 AM EDT
[#31]
WTF

Glocks are made in AUSTRIA...
They work great, they are reliable, I just don't really like them...

I LIKE the features on the XD...I think it is BETTER than the Glock

I could care less that it is made in Croatia...It's a great gun.

The quality of  a Springfield XD FAR outstrips anything made by Keltech (the only US producer that makes a HALFWAY decent polymer handgun) and is as good as any Glock .

Link Posted: 10/29/2006 1:31:19 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

i54.photobucket.com/albums/g111/avtomat762/WLeft380TT.jpg

Or a Lorcin/Jennings/Bryco POS

Link Posted: 10/29/2006 1:47:29 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You're kidding I hope.

No, he's 100% serious...

The following firearms companies/brands have NOTHING to do with the organizations their name represents:

Springfield Armory
Rock Island Armory
ArmaLite
Israel Arms Industries....

There was also NEVER an 'A' model of the M1 Garand. M1A is a trade name with NO military significance - the 'M1A' is properly a 'M-14 type' rifle....
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 3:34:08 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You're kidding I hope.

No, he's 100% serious...

The following firearms companies/brands have NOTHING to do with the organizations their name represents:

Springfield Armory
Rock Island Armory
ArmaLite
Israel Arms Industries....

There was also NEVER an 'A' model of the M1 Garand. M1A is a trade name with NO military significance - the 'M1A' is properly a 'M-14 type' rifle....

Add DPMS to that list too..

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top