Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/18/2007 9:41:30 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm not an advocate of shooting loose dogs on principal... But, I am really starting to get pissed off about how NO ONE controls their dogs or even cares what they are doing.

I was walking down the street about two blocks from my house, when I hear a dog barking and I look over at their house to see the owner opening the sliding glass door for it! The owner looks up and sees me in the road and just walks away as it charges at me! WTF?!

This was the one time I did not carry in the past 3 years, and murphy strikes.

I prepared myself by facing it and bringing my right leg back to kick it, and moving my right arm to my left side (I was walking with a cane) so that after I kick it, I would be in a natural position to strike with the cane. Due to the dogs agility both attempted strikes missed. This really pissed me off...

Not only did the owner not care that her dog was attacking someone, but that I had just missed twice and this dog is fucking with me now. In my rage I turned the tables and lunged at him... I just wanted to get one hand on him... Just one. From there I wanted to break it's neck, piss on it and leave it lying in the road.

It ran back onto the owners property and I realized that it will have to wait for another day.

Fucking useless asshole owners.
It's just like POS parents who breed their kids to be just like them... People do the same with dogs.

Quoted:
A good dose of OC or a whack in the head with an ASP will take the fun out of the dogs.  

About 7 years ago, I used to carry a quarter inch dia. steel rod up my sleeve... For some reason I was never attacked while carrying it.

I recently looked into OC and ASP for a friend and gained my own interest in the process, only to find out that the ASP is considered a deadly weapon and cannot be carried concealed.
... But they wouldn't mind if I carried an AR pistol with 30rd mags. But please, no metal rods.

The OC is still an option though... I just need to find a good brand, decent price, and buy a few of them. Maybe I can get away with open carry of the ASP though?

Can someone recommend a good, small/pocket sized OC?
Link Posted: 9/19/2007 4:16:56 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I have seen the effect that pepper spray has on dogs and I'd recommend it as an alternative in neighborhoods. YMMV

In you opinion would the attacking dog that was clamped onto mine have retreated

if I sprayed it in the face or does it only work before the attacl?

Yep, as others have mentioned since dogs are really sensitive to smells in my opinion OC would make the dog turn tail and run. However, your dog probably wouldn't be too happy with you either. I agree that you should still carry even if you have the pepper spray but it never hurts to have options.

My dog (black lab, Max) was being attacked by our neighbors dog (mutt) once, he was pretty much just sitting there crying and taking it while his ears were being half chewed off. I grabbed the other dog and pushed him away and he bit me. Two seconds later the mutt was on his back with Max's teeth around his neck, he almost killed him. Luckily the neighbors were good people so we worked it out. I loved that dog.
Link Posted: 9/19/2007 4:54:08 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I'm walking my 26 pound 12 year old dog this morning when 2 of my neighbors dogs
get out of the house ( a 5 year old lab and a 3 year old mut about the same size) and
bolt straight toward us.  We have passed each other before on leashed walks and they
go nuts but never seemed attack prone( no teeth showing, bowed back, etc.) and just
wanted to sniff.  So I put myself inbetween my dog and the neighbors and the lab tries
to nip at my dog the mut gets her full mouth on the back of my dogs next.  I kicked it
as hard as I could in its' neck and it let go and a few more kicks to each before the
owners ran out and got their dogs under control.  My dog was scared as shit but no
blood was drawn and she is a little sore.  My neighborhood is an upscale place and I
cannot conceal my xd40 subcompact (I'm 5'7 150 lbs athletic build)  and I don't carry
while walking the dog because of all the flack I will catch and the gossip will ensue.  
Recommend me a smaller gun that I can conceal (I'm thinking of a sig 232) for my
dog walks.  I have already told the owners that I called animal control and reported the
incident and will be well within my rights to kill the dog if they get loose again.  I wan't
to be civil but if my wife was walking the dog she would be dead.

If the neighbor has used reasonable means to insure his dogs are not roaming the neighborhood (fenced yard, walk on leash, etc.) and they have no history of attacks you would be in deep, deep shit if you shoot one.  You would almost surely face civil action and it wouldn't surprise me if you found yourself in criminal court too.  Much better off with pepper spray in this situation.
Link Posted: 9/20/2007 3:18:28 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
your neighbor's prized Lab that he's spent thousands on training as a retriever bites your dog that was taking a crap in his yard and you shoot his deserving ass

Wait, are you saying that you think that you are in the right to shoot your neighbors dog, while he is in his own yard, defending it from trespass and territorial marking by your dog?

... If you meant to say that you would shoot his dog if, while your dog was taking a crap in your yard, and his dog trespassed and attacked your dog... Then I would side with you.
Link Posted: 9/20/2007 8:45:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Nope, you had it right the first time.  However, it was intended to be delivered with sarcasm in that while the dog may be absolutely deserving, one would be making a HUGE mistake to shoot the dog in ANY yard in an upscale neighborhood full of attaoneys and otherwise litigious people unless the dog attacked the individual and not just bit his dog.  I believe the police, court etc. would think the shooter had grossly stepped over the line and would not take it too kindly!  
Link Posted: 9/20/2007 8:49:29 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
In answer to your question, you don't need a different gun.  You need a better holster.

Ding Ding Ding!

CompTac CTAC.  Just buy one.

Also, I don't believe your story.  If it were true, it would have been Pit Bulls that attacked.
Link Posted: 9/20/2007 8:53:42 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Pepper spray/OC may work really well for some dogs (as humans) bun not well for others.  As a lasst resort, you should always carry your gun if you are comfortable with that and competant.

Repeat:  Carry your F'n Gun!!!!

Sorry for the quick second post, but McNielsen is correct here on both accounts.

TRG, what brand OC was innefective?  Might wanna give Fox a try.

ETA: Fox for you too, BLY.
Link Posted: 9/21/2007 8:44:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Get some bear spray that will really fuck there day seriously. On a more serious note we used to live on a piece of land were the neighbors across the street had some damn mean dogs.We always had horses and miniature donkeys (recently sold one to a girl in england 4 thousand bucks) so they are worth something. Well one night I awoke to dogs barking and makin a fuss. I grabbed a 20 ga 1100 the closest thing to me at the time and headed out the door with a huge maglite by far the best light available back then haha. Well I forgot to tell you we had some goats to. I saw a dog just layin in to one of moms goats so I fired a shot in the woods direction and the dogs broke and ran. The gun was loaded with number 8s so I didnt think it would do anything but pepper them. I got the bead and the lead on the biggest blackest dog I saw and BOOM that fucker dropped dead in his track I was like holy shit. Well the other dogs werent lookin back to see what happend to their brother Fido and they hauled ass. Once I saw the goat which was really bit up and ripped up and cut up I new these dogs mean business so I planned to kill every one that ever tried it again.We had already informed the neighbors to keep their dogs on their property and of ours so I didnt call to tell them I just folded up one of their dogs. About a week later I was going to school at the time so I was about to get in the truck early one mornin when I saw 2 dogs running up to the donkeys I retreived a mossberg 12 loaded with buckshot from under the seat and yelled while I was running toward the fence to get a shot. When they saw me they ran but they werent gone yet they still had to jump a fence. The first yellow mutt jumped up and I fired as he was clinging on to the top board of the fence trieng to get away. He was fatality wounded and soon died of his injuries(mild humor used here). The other one did manage to clear the fence and get away. After that it seemed the dogs kept coming atleast once a month and we kept calling the neighbors telling them that they were over here funny they never asked about there missing dogs.To sum up this already long story they kept coming and I just kept thinning the herd and when a dog wouldnt come back they would get another.This went on for a year and eventually with me and my other neighbor shooting these dogs the people must have stopped getting them and I never had another problem. How in the hell the dogs they got were always ferocious I dont know maybe because there was one that was there from the first night I never shot maybe he taught them. Maybe because the donkeys and goat lookes like a good meal. Sorry for the Long story just thought I would share this short novel with you to show how crazy some dog owners can be.
( sorry some sp. prolly isnt right its late and I have had a long week)
Link Posted: 9/22/2007 4:55:41 AM EDT
[#9]
You need to live in a better (less upscale) neighborhood. I live in a white trash shithole neighborhood where anything goes and I LIKE IT! The guy across the street had a pitbull that was a loose canon. One day, the old lady on the other side of me called 5-0 about the dog being a menace around some neighborhood kids, growling, nipping, etc. Dirty 5-0 shows up and shoots the dog right in front of everybody no questions asked (the dog beared his teeth at the cop) The owner comes walking over all pissed off and running his mouth and they decide to run him (probably looking for warrants) and low and behold, guess who's got a fail to appear warrant. So, they take him off. A few days later he is back and comes across the street and asks if I saw what happened? He tells me that the officer told him if he didn't want to end up like his dog, then get the fuck out of town. The guy moved a couple weeks later. If I was you, I would wait until the dogs slipped out and nobody was looking. I'd lure them into a secluded area and drop some black ops shit on them. The main thing you need to do is get a gun you can carry and dress around it. There's no excuse for not carrying when you are legally entitled to. Those dogs could have just as easy have been a couple thugs looking to roll your lapdog walkin' ass for whatever you had on you so they could buy some meth. Carry that Springfield, it just may save your life or the life of someone you care about someday!!
Link Posted: 9/22/2007 6:55:11 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
You need to live in a better (less upscale) neighborhood. I live in a white trash shithole neighborhood where anything goes and I LIKE IT!

I've lived in white trash shitholes and I've lived in upscale neighborhoods.....I'll take upscale to raise my kids any day.  And, when the crack-head comes along playing snatch & grab or B&E, I'll put a 1/2" hole or two in the bastard and be applauded by the neighbors.  I just can't shoot Fifi the poodle or Buffy the lab along the way!
Link Posted: 9/24/2007 7:19:25 PM EDT
[#11]
I see two solutions to this problem...

1) I say spray little (aka: worthless) dogs then punt them - and shoot the big ones. A .38 special revolver is a very "sensible" weapon, easily concealed, cheap, and the most reliable. Heck, you can even load a blank for the first shot to attempt to "scare" the dogs away before dropping their asses.
2) Get a big dog of your own to walk with your little dog.

OC/pepperspray is a bad idea unless it is specifically designed for animals. I have a lean 100lb full bred Rottweiler... and some old lady hit with some pepper spray once.
he
Moral of the story... it takes more than pepper spray to deter big "territorial" dogs. Pitt Bulls, Rotties, and other "aggressive" dogs will need more detterrant than OC... and often times shotting an aggressive dog is justifed in the public opinion. Our homeowners insurance has warned us that the first reported incident, and they will either put the dog down or drop coverage. On the same token, shoot Lassie and you're in for some legal shit.

Link Posted: 9/26/2007 12:32:22 PM EDT
[#12]
You better be able to prove bodily injury to yourself, prior to shooting a pet or animal. Laws on animal cruelty are a lot different than those of a human attacking you. I know someone who had a lenghly jail stay for shooting a pet. The jail time stayed on his record too......
Link Posted: 9/26/2007 3:31:03 PM EDT
[#13]
1. On the 8th day the Lord said "Let there be paragraphs!"

2. After shooting and killing a dog, call the cops and make sure they tell the owner where they can reclaim their dog. Even though you had warned them, it's better to not leave their whereabouts to the imagination of wishful thinkers. Them thinking their doggie ran away and living happily with some nice family is probably why they replaced it.

Take away their joy. Make dog ownership emotionally painful.  

Quoted:
Get some bear spray that will really fuck there day seriously. On a more serious note we used to live on a piece of land were the neighbors across the street had some damn mean dogs.We always had horses and miniature donkeys (recently sold one to a girl in england 4 thousand bucks) so they are worth something. Well one night I awoke to dogs barking and makin a fuss. I grabbed a 20 ga 1100 the closest thing to me at the time and headed out the door with a huge maglite by far the best light available back then haha. Well I forgot to tell you we had some goats to. I saw a dog just layin in to one of moms goats so I fired a shot in the woods direction and the dogs broke and ran. The gun was loaded with number 8s so I didnt think it would do anything but pepper them. I got the bead and the lead on the biggest blackest dog I saw and BOOM that fucker dropped dead in his track I was like holy shit. Well the other dogs werent lookin back to see what happend to their brother Fido and they hauled ass. Once I saw the goat which was really bit up and ripped up and cut up I new these dogs mean business so I planned to kill every one that ever tried it again.We had already informed the neighbors to keep their dogs on their property and of ours so I didnt call to tell them I just folded up one of their dogs. About a week later I was going to school at the time so I was about to get in the truck early one mornin when I saw 2 dogs running up to the donkeys I retreived a mossberg 12 loaded with buckshot from under the seat and yelled while I was running toward the fence to get a shot. When they saw me they ran but they werent gone yet they still had to jump a fence. The first yellow mutt jumped up and I fired as he was clinging on to the top board of the fence trieng to get away. He was fatality wounded and soon died of his injuries(mild humor used here). The other one did manage to clear the fence and get away. After that it seemed the dogs kept coming atleast once a month and we kept calling the neighbors telling them that they were over here funny they never asked about there missing dogs.To sum up this already long story they kept coming and I just kept thinning the herd and when a dog wouldnt come back they would get another.This went on for a year and eventually with me and my other neighbor shooting these dogs the people must have stopped getting them and I never had another problem. How in the hell the dogs they got were always ferocious I dont know maybe because there was one that was there from the first night I never shot maybe he taught them. Maybe because the donkeys and goat lookes like a good meal. Sorry for the Long story just thought I would share this short novel with you to show how crazy some dog owners can be.
( sorry some sp. prolly isnt right its late and I have had a long week)
Link Posted: 9/28/2007 12:38:24 PM EDT
[#14]
I carry a Kahr PM9 in my front pocket when I walk my dog. Well I carry it even when I'm not walking my dog.
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 6:38:41 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
You better be able to prove bodily injury to yourself, prior to shooting a pet or animal. Laws on animal cruelty are a lot different than those of a human attacking you. I know someone who had a lenghly jail stay for shooting a pet. The jail time stayed on his record too......

If the gun is discharged, I was in fear for my life or property!  I was not hunting a doe in the woods.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 8:42:39 AM EDT
[#16]
I ccw each and every time my wife and I walk our 45lb mutt.  In addition, I carry a homemade oak cane as my first line of defense.

So far, simply waving the cane and authoritatively yelling "NO" at a handful of charging dogs has been enough to get them to stop short.  I'm not saying it's foolproof, but it's worked well to this point.

As a result, several of my neighbors now walk their dogs carrying a broomstick or some other piece of lumber.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 10:06:54 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I ccw each and every time my wife and I walk our 45lb mutt.  In addition, I carry a homemade oak cane as my first line of defense.

So far, simply waving the cane and authoritatively yelling "NO" at a handful of charging dogs has been enough to get them to stop short.  I'm not saying it's foolproof, but it's worked well to this point.

As a result, several of my neighbors now walk their dogs carrying a broomstick or some other piece of lumber.

I forgot to mention the poop scooper, I've used that twice to get an attacking dog away from us.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top