Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 1:37:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Forged vs. cast...? I suppose we should throw out all of those flawed Caspian frames, eh? hat
I bought one (my only 1911), as a range/plinker/around the farm gun. To this end...it has performed admirably. At $300.00 and a lifetime guarantee...what exactly am I out?
Do your research on the gun!...Check 1911 forum.com for their thoughts. Ivan (Blackdragon) is the Nevada rep for RIA, and a constant presence there. He will not tout the gun as the greatest, but what it really is...A good gun for the money...and he backs them up.

Shoot what you like!...Like what you shoot. href=http://img118.imageshack.us/img118/6895/ria1911a10038rs.th.jpg
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 8:53:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Yea. but for real near the same cost you can buy a Springfield Armory or the one I chose, a Sistema Colt.  I think the Sistema looks a lot nicer, and also has history and rarity going for it.  The Sistema I bought was $400 and came with a new barrel, which was disapointing in that the numbers all didnt match, but was also good for what I was looking for.  Just some food for thought.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 12:14:02 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I would argue that the average 1911 owner wouldn't shoot enough to see a real difference between the two steels.

Very true.

I have a bright chromed 9mm (started life as a .38 Super) that has served me well for a cheap piece of junk.  I use it in USPSA matches all the time.  I've got 6,500+ rounds through it and it's still going strong.  In all this time, I have had one stovepipe and one failure to feed.  The failure to feed was caused by a magazine full of sand and the stovepipe seems to have been a fluke.

For $300 +/-, these guns seem to be an unbeatable value.  But I see these at most places for close to $400 new.  For $425, you can get the same basic pistol from Springfield.  All things being equal, the Springfield is a better pistol and will have much better resale value down the road.

Link Posted: 2/20/2006 2:11:12 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I would argue that the average 1911 owner wouldn't shoot enough to see a real difference between the two steels.

Very true.

I have a bright chromed 9mm (started life as a .38 Super) that has served me well for a cheap piece of junk.  I use it in USPSA matches all the time.  I've got 6,500+ rounds through it and it's still going strong.  In all this time, I have had one stovepipe and one failure to feed.  The failure to feed was caused by a magazine full of sand and the stovepipe seems to have been a fluke.

For $300 +/-, these guns seem to be an unbeatable value.  But I see these at most places for close to $400 new.  For $425, you can get the same basic pistol from Springfield.  All things being equal, the Springfield is a better pistol and will have much better resale value down the road.

Nice and shinny. Been thinking I need a pimp 1911.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 2:26:14 PM EDT
[#5]
The topic that wouldn't die..............
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 6:46:59 PM EDT
[#6]
My latest SGN has them for $275 at Sarco.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 12:15:08 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
My latest SGN has them for $275 at Sarco.

That's pretty dadgum cheap for a halfway decent 1911.  Even if you had to replace the slide, barrel, frame, and internal parts you'd still have a pretty cheap gun.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 12:53:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Here is mine - $300. shoots pretty good for a cheap piece of crap..

Now - not near as nice fit/finish and groups as my Kimber -

But it does shoot as good as my Colt.  Which does sometime have issues with hollow point anything....

Would I take it to combat - well only if the Kimber went down.
Right now - I prefer it over my compact Colt -

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top