Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/11/2012 7:39:01 PM EDT
I want a full size 9mm handgun, and have it narrowed down to 2. Either the Sig P226 (Elite Dark or Enhanced Elite) or H&K P30L. The grip is a major factor for me, so I really like the P30. However, the controls on the P226 are better. I would like everyones opinion on these, and pro/con of each.
Link Posted: 11/11/2012 9:34:26 PM EDT
[#1]
CZ SP-01

Most. Comfortable. Grip. Ever.
Link Posted: 11/11/2012 9:37:39 PM EDT
[#2]
I would go with the better grip vs. controls.
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 3:00:42 AM EDT
[#3]
I have both and they're both awesome.  If you can, shoot them both and see which one like most / shoot best with.  To me there's nothing better than the P30 grip and it's a lighter carry.  The Sig will be a little softer shooting because it's heavier.  I don't think that you can go wrong with either of these.

Link Posted: 11/12/2012 3:08:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Glock 17

why would you want a DA/SA?
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 3:22:11 AM EDT
[#5]
From a P30 owner, you may want to check out the P30 with Light LEM trigger. Besides the reliability and grip, I found the p30 to have perfect ambidextrous controls, including a nicely sized slide lever which doesnt really require you to change your grip to use and the mag release is easy with a bit of practice. One of the cool things about the p30  is that it has autoforwarding, which is something that I don't see in many guns. With slide locked back you don't need to hit the slide lever (most circumstances) and never a need to rack the slide back (like is done with glocks) to load it. Makes for a very fast reload.

Looking back on my P30 purchase I wish I wouldn't have gotten the DA/SA and would have gone with the Light LEM version (personal preference is that I just want the same pull every time)

I have handled a couple Sig P226 Enhanced Elites but never fired them. The most recent ones I held were from Seal Team 8 this past weekend They were saying how they are either issued P226 9mm or H&K .45-variants. Makes me want to pick one up just to see how well it performs.
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 3:25:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Between the two of those, P30.
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 3:26:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Those are 2 excellent choices, I prefer the 226 myself.
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 6:38:07 AM EDT
[#8]
P30LS
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 6:54:55 AM EDT
[#9]
That would be a tough choice for me, I'm glad you have to make it.
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 7:03:58 AM EDT
[#10]
I would lean toward the P30L.   I like everything about it more than the P226 except the price.  I never cared for the P226 I owned for a few reasons –– large for what it was, SIG-style control levers are in the wrong spots, the trigger on mine was pretty shitty, and it threw brass at my face.  

I'd own a P30 except every time I handle one, my trigger finger is always dragging on the mag catch or trigger guard.   My hands are large enough and I grip the gun high enough that it's always a problem with any narrow trigger guard gun like the P30 or the Glocks.   If the trigger guard were the same size as the USP, I'd probably have one.
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 7:05:20 AM EDT
[#11]
Out of those I'd go with the 226 (I have 3) as its my favorite pistol. That's for me though. If your looking at the HK p30 why not get a Walther PPQ for half the price with the same ergos and a better trigger?

Link Posted: 11/12/2012 7:18:39 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Out of those I'd go with the 226 (I have 3) as its my favorite pistol. That's for me though. If your looking at the HK p30 why not get a Walther PPQ for half the price with the same ergos and a better trigger?  

Exactly what he said.  I love the Sigs, just never could spend the $$$ on them.  I'm always looking for a steal on a good condition P226 or P228.  I definitely still want one.  I own a PPQ and it's fantastic.  I've looked at the HK P30s, like them as they're so similar to the PPQ, and the only thing I'd be getting over my PPQ is a lighter wallet and the name.  And by no means am I disrespecting the HK crew, just if you have one you really don't need the other imo.
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 7:21:49 AM EDT
[#13]
I am not sure why people don't answer with the choices given.....

Between the two, I would go with P30L V2.

Unless you want to step up to 226 X-five competition, then obviously that changes the game, but having owned both in several configurations, I prefer the P30L as I find the grip to be very natural for me.
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 8:00:21 AM EDT
[#14]
P-30, hands down.
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 11:43:50 AM EDT
[#15]
I have owned both. Still have the P30 and love it.    
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 12:30:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Definitely the P30. The sig controls are backwards anyway. :) I always ride the slide release on those... The P30 shoots like a champ and has a great trigger.
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 3:44:07 PM EDT
[#17]
I got both...
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 3:56:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
CZ SP-01

Most. Comfortable. Grip. Ever.

You must not have tried Sigs new E2 grip or the P30.  Sp-01 is pretty comfortable,  feels secure and very similar to Walther PPQ.  The Sig and HK are much better than both though.

OP I have both a P30 and 226.  It depends on what you want.  In my own opinion for the money paid, the Sig just feels much more substantial and nicer.  The HK feels like, well like most plastic pistols, not that there is anything wrong with that.  As I mentioned the grips on both are light years beyond anything previous.  The P30 is especially easy to make it seem like God Himself created it, though the E2 is not far behind.  Here is my pro's and cons of each:

Sig:
Much better Trigger (I have the SRT)
Has real night sights (Hk has glowing paint)
feels solid and shoots soft
18rnd Mec Gar mags $28

HK:
Lighter
Easier to carry
Ambidextrous (though a slight negative is the damn mag release which rubs my finger when shooting)

Both:
Accuracy - they both shoot extremely well with a slight edge to the 226 that I attribute to the better trigger.
Neither have had a single failure in over 1k rounds through each.

My choice 226 w e2 and srt.

ETA I really have to laugh about some of these comments that say without a doubt the P30 or the ones that insinuate that the Sig is somehow the lesser quality of the two.
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 4:19:19 PM EDT
[#19]
of the two, i prefer the sig.  though, i will say that if you put the money it would cost for a factory sig/hk, you could get a much better cz75 for the 500 and put 400 in custom work from czcustoms...just my .02 tho.
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 4:36:12 PM EDT
[#20]
just get both.
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 4:37:11 PM EDT
[#21]
Absolutely the P30.
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 4:38:32 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Glock 17

Well now, that doesn't answer the question at all now does it.  

Completely Irrelevant...
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 4:39:21 PM EDT
[#23]

I would lean more toward the Sig myself. But you can't go wrong with the P30.
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 4:55:24 PM EDT
[#24]
One works, the other might work.

HK is the better product, period.
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 5:12:05 PM EDT
[#25]
P30 all the way. I'm biased, though, because I own one and sold all my Sigs.
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 6:06:22 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I have handled a couple Sig P226 Enhanced Elites but never fired them. The most recent ones I held were from Seal Team 8 this past weekend They were saying how they are either issued P226 9mm or H&K .45-variants. Makes me want to pick one up just to see how well it performs.

The SEAL Teams don't have "Enhanced Elite" 226's. They're all standard 226, P226R's or the newest version, the Mk25. The HK's are 45CT's.

As for the P30 vs P226... Personally, I would choose the the 226, or more specifically the Mk25. It boils down to personal preference, as both are the best in their league. One thing though, is the P226's trigger is much better than the P30's, especially when outfitted with the "SRT" trigger.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 7:10:54 PM EDT
[#27]
I really like the sig, haved owned a few. The QC on the new onces scare me a little, I would either get an older P226 or failing that a P30.
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 7:17:18 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I really like the sig, haved owned a few. The QC on the new onces scare me a little, I would either get an older P226 or failing that a P30.

The "QC" issues were vastly overblown. SIG did have a rough patch around 2008-9 or so, were selling record amount of handguns, and were growing as a company. I rarely see complaints on new SIGs anymore. The complaints I see now are from the the same people (who think they are more than they are) on various forums, talking about the same incident over and over.

Link Posted: 11/12/2012 9:30:54 PM EDT
[#29]
Close your eyes and pick one. Both are phenomenal guns and I wouldn't feel under-gunned with either. However, I'm with Dan on the DA/SA thing. Unless you dedicate a lot of time to DA/SA shooting, you may not be able to effectively engage your target with the first shot. I see a lot of DA/SA shooters at the range shooting in SA only, but still carry in DA.
Link Posted: 11/13/2012 12:04:35 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I am pretty sure you have no reason to say this, unless you got a lemon. Iv never seen a 226 go down or fail, ever. Iv never seen a P30 go down either.  
OP they are both great pistols.  I would not go with the elite 226 though, IMO there is absolutely no reason for a beavertail on the 226. the regular 226 with E2 grips, SRT, and night sights is damn near perfect. I love HKs, but Sig wins out every time for me, mainly because I personally just don't like plastic pistols.

Link Posted: 11/13/2012 12:14:29 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Between the two of those, P30.

QFT in LEM.
Link Posted: 11/13/2012 3:39:46 AM EDT
[#32]
Despite the internet jabber about poor quality control I bought three brand new SIGs over the last two and a half  years and they have all been 100% reliable right out of the box and have never bobbled for any reason al all.

P 220 Carry Equinox : 9,000 rounds

P 220 Super Match:  4200 rounds

P 226 X Five Competition 9mm: 550 rounds.

The guys I shoot with are always making excuses for their guns, some of which are "name" semi-custom pistols as well as "popular polymer handguns, "it's the ammunition, I must have limp wristed, the gun is brand new..............."; the list goes on and on, but my SIGs just keep on chugging along without any malfunctions or failures of any sort.

I've been a Smith & Wesson guy for almost 50 years and I have no axe to grind, but its a shame that new shooters are being misled about the reliability of SIGs due to Internet nonsense.

I don't give a damn about the company, nor do I have the "buy what I bought" syndrome.

It's just a damn shame to see people miss out on owning an excellent gun for no good reason.

Also; SIGs are inexpensive for what you get.

Link Posted: 11/13/2012 4:45:39 AM EDT
[#33]
Bottomline is that SIG's QC did suffer. It was reflected in enough guns that the poor QC reputation was earned and not internet rumor.

If that is no longer the case, that's great.....but a reputation takes years to build and a very short time to take a hit if that standard is not maintained.

I've owned and currently own SIG's, from handguns to an SBR....and will again....but the hit they took, was certainly earned.

Glad to hear they've bounced back....and particularly surprised by their success with the 1911 platform, eveyone who owns one of the SIG 1911's seems to LOVE them.

Not an easy platform to nail....looks like they might have done just that.
Link Posted: 11/13/2012 4:52:38 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Bottomline is that SIG's QC did suffer. It was reflected in enough guns that the poor QC reputation was earned and not internet rumor.

If that is no longer the case, that's great.....but a reputation takes years to build and a very short time to take a hit if that standard is not maintained.

I've owned and currently own SIG's, from handguns to an SBR....and will again....but the hit they took, was certainly earned.

Glad to hear they've bounced back....and particularly surprised by their success with the 1911 platform, eveyone who owns one of the SIG 1911's seems to LOVE them.

It's time to post this one again; IMO, the only way to judge the current initial quality of any manufacturer, is by the quality of the last gun they sold you.

All manufacturers encounter reliability problems; all of them, bar none.

http://pistol-training.com/articles/trust-no-one-an-insiders-perspective
Link Posted: 11/13/2012 5:22:53 AM EDT
[#35]
Get a Glock.

Link Posted: 11/13/2012 5:23:21 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's time to post this one again; IMO, the only way to judge the current initial quality of any manufacturer, is by the quality of the last gun they sold you.

I can appreciate that article...well writen and on point, however I am judging on the last gun I bought from SIG. I also know that my sample size means little....but I am judging, at least in part on this basis.

There's more to the SIG QC story than "All manufacturers encounter reliability problems; all of them, bar none".

There was a significant management/philosophical shift at SIG a few years back when Ron Cohen from Kimber took over. He promptly fired 90% of the management, and instituted priorities on capturing a much broader demographic, with MANY new models/variations/shiney rainbow finishes, and by all measure, some rather gimmicky stuff compared to where they actually had earned their well founded reputation.

Somewhere in that shift, QC took a significant hit....for a while. Now if they're back up to speed, QC addressed and back to making the weapons they've been known for, fantastic....but this wasn't some ambiguous anomoly at SIG....it can be traced to Cohen, plain and simple.
Link Posted: 11/13/2012 9:22:26 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Glock 17

Glock fanboy copout

Honestly I have fired anything that comes close to a sig trigger
Link Posted: 11/13/2012 10:57:51 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Love my P30 L.  

Link Posted: 11/13/2012 12:01:05 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

I can appreciate that article...well writen and on point, however I am judging on the last gun I bought from SIG. I also know that my sample size means little....but I am judging, at least in part on this basis.

There's more to the SIG QC story than "All manufacturers encounter reliability problems; all of them, bar none".

There was a significant management/philosophical shift at SIG a few years back when Ron Cohen from Kimber took over. He promptly fired 90% of the management, and instituted priorities on capturing a much broader demographic, with MANY new models/variations/shiney rainbow finishes, and by all measure, some rather gimmicky stuff compared to where they actually had earned their well founded reputation.

Somewhere in that shift, QC took a significant hit....for a while. Now if they're back up to speed, QC addressed and back to making the weapons they've been known for, fantastic....but this wasn't some ambiguous anomoly at SIG....it can be traced to Cohen, plain and simple.

SIG was very close to becoming non exsistent before Cohen. Cohen took a failing company and turned them into one of the most successful manufacturers in the firearms business. They expanded greatly, and as with most companies that grow rapidly, along with trying to keep up with record sales in the 2008 buying panic, they ran into a few issues. It's not hard to figure out.

The thing that gets me is that people think/thought that you had a 50/50 chance of getting a "good" SIG during that time, and that wasn't the case. They continuously threw them under the bus, despite their favorite plastic wonder flavor of the months having as much, if not more issues than SIG. I get to see many makes and models of service pistols, in the popular service calibers, in action. I stand by my statements that H&K and SIG are the least problematic of them.

Also, people think that the "old" SIGs were without issues. That's false. There were  plenty. People just couldn't bitch about them at a click of a button like they can now. The newer models with the stainless steel slides are more durable, have better finishes, require less maintenance and are overall MUCH better "hard use" pistols. That's a fact.

Link Posted: 11/13/2012 1:39:15 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The "QC" issues were vastly overblown. SIG did have a rough patch around 2008-9 or so, were selling record amount of handguns, and were growing as a company. I rarely see complaints on new SIGs anymore. The complaints I see now are from the the same people (who think they are more than they are) on various forums, talking about the same incident over and over.

I hope you are right. I would love to one day own another P226, they fit the hand well, decock only no stupid safety, great trigger pull in both SA and DA and I like the placement of the slide release.
Link Posted: 11/13/2012 4:18:22 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

SIG was very close to becoming non exsistent before Cohen. Cohen took a failing company and turned them into one of the most successful manufacturers in the firearms business. They expanded greatly, and as with most companies that grow rapidly, along with trying to keep up with record sales in the 2008 buying panic, they ran into a few issues. It's not hard to figure out.

The thing that gets me is that people think/thought that you had a 50/50 chance of getting a "good" SIG during that time, and that wasn't the case. They continuously threw them under the bus, despite their favorite plastic wonder flavor of the months having as much, if not more issues than SIG. I get to see many makes and models of service pistols, in the popular service calibers, in action. I stand by my statements that H&K and SIG are the least problematic of them.

Also, people think that the "old" SIGs were without issues. That's false. There were  plenty. People just couldn't bitch about them at a click of a button like they can now. The newer models with the stainless steel slides are more durable, have better finishes, require less maintenance and are overall MUCH better "hard use" pistols. That's a fact.

not to mention the legion of so called Sig experiences had by those who could afford a $400 Glock or XD but not a more expensive Sig and just felt the need to bash them.  Funny thing is if people recall, HK was getting hammered around that same time for outrageous prices and non-availability and even the routine backward round in the advertisement pic.  HK and Sig are both higher end guns for those who appreciate more than the model T in firearms.  I enjoy them both and can appreciate them for what they are.  I like my P30, its a fine weapon, but I prefer my 226 in spades.
Link Posted: 11/13/2012 5:20:59 PM EDT
[#42]
If I counted right, 14 to 12 in favor of H&K, is still pretty close. I wish I could buy both, but that's not in the cards at this time. I appreciate everyone's input, but I am still undecided. I have taken a second look at the LEM trigger though, and that may be a deciding factor. Availability may also be a factor, since I was able to find 10X more P226s than P30Ls on gunbroker and gunsamerica. To those that recommended a Glock, sorry but I am not interested.

EDIT: If I were to get the H&K, which LEM should I get? V1 w/safety or V2 without? From what I could find, the V1 has about a 4.5 lb. pull and the V2 is about 8 lbs. If this is correct, it seems like the V1 would be closest to SA pull in a DAO package.
Link Posted: 11/13/2012 7:32:08 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
From a P30 owner, you may want to check out the P30 with Light LEM trigger. Besides the reliability and grip, I found the p30 to have perfect ambidextrous controls, including a nicely sized slide lever which doesnt really require you to change your grip to use and the mag release is easy with a bit of practice. One of the cool things about the p30  is that it has autoforwarding, which is something that I don't see in many guns. With slide locked back you don't need to hit the slide lever (most circumstances) and never a need to rack the slide back (like is done with glocks) to load it. Makes for a very fast reload.

Looking back on my P30 purchase I wish I wouldn't have gotten the DA/SA and would have gone with the Light LEM version (personal preference is that I just want the same pull every time)

I like Sigs but I love HK's my new P30 is the snaz.
Link Posted: 11/14/2012 5:17:42 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am pretty sure you have no reason to say this, unless you got a lemon. Iv never seen a 226 go down or fail, ever. Iv never seen a P30 go down either.  
OP they are both great pistols.  I would not go with the elite 226 though, IMO there is absolutely no reason for a beavertail on the 226. the regular 226 with E2 grips, SRT, and night sights is damn near perfect. I love HKs, but Sig wins out every time for me, mainly because I personally just don't like plastic pistols.

Actually I did otherwise I wouldn't have said it.
Link Posted: 11/14/2012 7:24:57 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I like Sigs but I love HK's my new P30 is the snaz.

This. The P30 is THE most ergonomically agreeable pistol I've ever shot. I remember the Sig 226 feeling pretty good, and I'm sure the newer models with the E2 grips are even better. For those suggesting Glocks, while they are a hell of a pistol (and every bit as reliable, as far as I'm concerned, as the handguns the OP is asking about), the grip leaves something to be desired for some. It took me having to hold a gun that felt near perfect in my hand to understand what had been missing with the Glock. I don't mean this to come across as a bash in any way. I don't have an issue with shooting a Glock. I just don't find the grip optimal.

The side panel and backstrap inserts on the P30 allow for flexibility in customizing the grip to best fit your hand. I think that's a real benefit for any shooter looking to optimize their grip on the gun.
Link Posted: 11/15/2012 5:43:12 AM EDT
[#46]
I love Sigs but a P30L is high on my list. I haven't been able to shoot one, but I did handle one and I did love the way it fit my hand.
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 2:55:59 AM EDT
[#47]
I have both and the H&K would get sold before the P226.  You can't go wrong with either, but the P226 is the best one for me.
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 7:26:25 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
If I counted right, 14 to 12 in favor of H&K, is still pretty close. I wish I could buy both, but that's not in the cards at this time. I appreciate everyone's input, but I am still undecided. I have taken a second look at the LEM trigger though, and that may be a deciding factor. Availability may also be a factor, since I was able to find 10X more P226s than P30Ls on gunbroker and gunsamerica. To those that recommended a Glock, sorry but I am not interested.

EDIT: If I were to get the H&K, which LEM should I get? V1 w/safety or V2 without? From what I could find, the V1 has about a 4.5 lb. pull and the V2 is about 8 lbs. If this is correct, it seems like the V1 would be closest to SA pull in a DAO package.

If you're going to go HK get the LEM because the DA/SA trigger is terrible like most HK's.  The Sig trigger is much much better.  Also keep in mind mag costs as well.  You can get 18 or 20 rnd mags for the Sig for $27 or you can get 15rnd HK P30 mags for $40
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 11:30:30 AM EDT
[#49]
There are places selling P30 mags for right about $31 if you look in the right places. If I buy another HK (it will happen eventually), it will be an LEM; for sure.
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 2:44:01 PM EDT
[#50]
Definitely P30 it is the most ergonomically perfect handgun I've ever held.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top