Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/22/2011 8:50:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
It's a sad state of affairs when a gun owner doesn't recognize a Browning Hi-Power.

The sadder part is the stories I read were identifying it as a 1911.

Heard a news caster refer to it at a revolver so...

The news anchors are the most retarded groups of people that can barely read a teleprompter. I've head them refer to pistols as fully automatic that were not and call revolvers semi-automatic. I realize there is 1 semi-automatic revolver type in existence but it is so rare I seriously doubt they were correct about the perp using a semi-automatic revolver since they rarely get all the facts strait to begin with.
Link Posted: 10/22/2011 4:32:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
It's a sad state of affairs when a gun owner doesn't recognize a Browning Hi-Power.

This!  So true, so true........  A very nice one at that

Link Posted: 10/22/2011 5:15:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Im 19, and ive known what a hi power is for about 18 and a half years. not all of us are hopeless.
Link Posted: 10/22/2011 5:37:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

No shit, pretty damn easy ID.
Link Posted: 10/22/2011 6:01:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 10/22/2011 6:36:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is that the loaded chamber indicator with somebodies finger on the trigger and a hand over the muzzle?

That's the external extractor - introduced sometime in the 50s. While the display of gun safety in that picture is non-existent, the BHP can't be loaded with the hammer down unless one were to drop the hammer on a loaded chamber. However, the BHP does have a firing pin block so it would also be "safe".

Quoted:
The serial appears to be 511MPXXXXX which makes it an '08 model.  The slide does say Made in Belgium.

So does USA only get the "Assembled in Portugal ones?" now?

The Ren models are still all belgium IIRC
Link Posted: 10/22/2011 6:37:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Lotsa snobs here.

oh you outed me
Link Posted: 10/22/2011 6:41:51 PM EDT
[#8]

Its just as sad that 3-pages into this, nobody has identified that it is, in fact, an FN MKIII.  The sight profile and ambi-safety are dead giveaways.

Link Posted: 10/22/2011 6:43:19 PM EDT
[#9]

That is one SWEET Tokarev!

OP.

You MUST turn in your Man Card immediately!

Link Posted: 10/22/2011 6:44:14 PM EDT
[#10]
I wonder what that could go for in auction...
Link Posted: 10/23/2011 3:12:19 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Browning High power

Link Posted: 10/24/2011 5:33:35 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

If it had Mummar's blood on it, a small fortune!
Link Posted: 10/24/2011 8:11:46 AM EDT
[#13]
I am not a big fan of bling but I must coment that this gun is a better example of rich guy bling than ghetto bling
Link Posted: 10/24/2011 8:20:44 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Man card now. You dont know what a Highpower looks like

Seriously.....

Nothing snobbish about it.

Almost all modern pistols have something that was original to the Hi Power design.
Link Posted: 10/24/2011 9:38:24 AM EDT
[#15]
All of us learned what an FN Hi-Power was at one point or another in our lives!  I don't have one yet but will surely own one someday.
Link Posted: 10/24/2011 10:41:54 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Most gun owners that 35+ know what a BHP is. Those that are younger I can see not knowing what it is. To many "wonder" 9s on the market to know what a relic wonder 9 is.

I'm 26 and I recognized it immediately.

I own a Belgian BHP. Mine is blued, though.  I'm not fond of gold.
Link Posted: 10/24/2011 9:37:26 PM EDT
[#17]
So now, just a minute here.  Isn't the hi power the improved version of the 1911?*  I think the OP was on the right track!

* Just ask John Moses
Link Posted: 10/25/2011 5:34:02 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

http://resources2.news.com.au/images/2011/10/21/1226172/551574-111021-mideast-libya.jpg

Its just as sad that 3-pages into this, nobody has identified that it is, in fact, an FN MKIII.  The sight profile and ambi-safety are dead giveaways.

Old Ghadaffi was actually armed with some sort of short barrel revolver when he was caught.
He had the golden gun stuffed in a sack tucked into his belt
He didn't fire any rounds from either gun.
I personally expected more from the blowhard,,,
Link Posted: 10/25/2011 5:41:40 AM EDT
[#19]
My guess was BHP before I even saw the photo.  The Browning Hi Power is to the rest of the world what the 1911 is to the USA.
Link Posted: 10/25/2011 7:08:37 AM EDT
[#20]
The Palestine infant community frowns upon your shenanigans.

Link Posted: 10/25/2011 12:13:10 PM EDT
[#21]

Looks French.
Link Posted: 10/25/2011 1:58:56 PM EDT
[#22]

ak47
ar15
uzi
BHP
glock

some if the things you should just know
Link Posted: 10/25/2011 3:02:48 PM EDT
[#23]

Still probably French.
Link Posted: 10/25/2011 6:16:42 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

THIS

External ejector plus wide ambi safety would make it a Mk III I believe.
Link Posted: 10/25/2011 6:47:56 PM EDT
[#25]
Looks like maybe a Mark III.

Looks like my Mark III anyway. Except for the wood grips. Oh yea, and the gold!
Link Posted: 10/25/2011 6:54:42 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

$87
Link Posted: 10/25/2011 8:27:11 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:

THIS

When bagging on how bad someone's gun recognition skills are, it's poor form to get things wrong yourself.  It's an external EXTRACTOR, not ejector.  

And that is a made in Belgium, assembled in Portugal Hi Power; definitely a Mk III and probably a Mk IIIS.

BHP's are HIGHLY regarded in the Middle East for their reliability in the fine sand of the ME.  The Hi Power is BY FAR the most widely used military pistol in the history of handguns.  It is a fantastically successful pistol, with reliability unsurpassed by any gun.  That is my OPINION not a statement of fact.  But I have been around the block a few times in the gun world, and I'm here to say that in the reliability department, I've never seen anything top the 9mm Browning Hi Power; specifically the post-1980 guns with the flat style feed ramp.  For reliability in bad conditions, I'll put the BHP against a Glock even; they're damn reliable.

Everyone says the triggers suck, and compared to a 1911 they do,  But the worst Hi Power trigger is still better than an out of the box Glock's trigger.  The Hi Power's trigger is very similar to a two stage trigger on a military Mauser rifle. Some take up, then a crisp, but somewhat heavy break; typically somewhere between 5-7lbs (depending on manufacturer).  And also contrary to popular wives tales, it's not especially hard to tune a HP's trigger to be truely excellent; it's just that there are far fewer Hi Power experts out there

With all that love gushing over with, now the down side.  

The Hi Power was created LONG before the advent of NATO or +P pressure ammo, and consequently the Hi Power doesn’t survive +P ammo for long.  I personally think +P in 9mm is a complete waste of time, but hey, that’s just me.  
The locking cam block on a Hi Power is pressed into a fairly thin section of the frame.  NATO pressure 9mm will eventually cause this to set back in the frame, ruining the gun.  Also, of all the full sized 9mm pistols out there, the Hi Power has the lightest weight slide, and again; when used with NATO pressure ammunition, you WILL eventually crack the slide.
What the Hi Power really has going for it is its ergonomics; which take a back seat to nothing.  For a full sized military automatic, the Hi Power is easily the most inherently “shootable” pistol out there.  It’s a damn fine gun.
There are some other minor annoyances of the Hi Power, but if you feed it a steady diet of STANDARD pressure 9mm, it will last you a couple lifetimes.  NO pistol is perfect, but to my mind the Hi Power is far closer to “perfection” than most.  

Link Posted: 10/25/2011 10:14:56 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

When bagging on how bad someone's gun recognition skills are, it's poor form to get things wrong yourself.  It's an external EXTRACTOR, not ejector.  

[/quote]

You are correct, and I am full of shame.

Given how reliable my 1911s are, and how unreliable my Hi-power is, I've always believed the switch from an EE to an IE was a mistake.
Link Posted: 10/26/2011 12:40:33 AM EDT
[#29]
This thread is shameful.
Link Posted: 10/26/2011 11:10:28 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed.

+1
Link Posted: 10/26/2011 11:14:24 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Well at least the OP now knows what it is. Not everyone knows each pistol type by sight. Or have been into our hobby as long as others there is always something to learn.

Still Gadhafi HAD a pretty slick looking BHP

It's not a hobby, but a way of life
Link Posted: 10/26/2011 11:19:41 PM EDT
[#32]

Looks like this guy is about ready to shoot his buddies fuckin face off.....trigger guard discipline Abdul
Link Posted: 10/27/2011 4:08:51 AM EDT
[#33]
Is that the gun of Rambo?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/27/2011 6:00:03 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Most gun owners that 35+ know what a BHP is. Those that are younger I can see not knowing what it is. To many "wonder" 9s on the market to know what a relic wonder 9 is.

I'm 20 ...and mine is also stained with my own blood.

Link Posted: 10/27/2011 7:10:05 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm 20 ...and mine is also stained with my own blood.  

Lol hammer bite?

Web of my hand is finally toughening up to ignore it.
Link Posted: 10/27/2011 8:24:39 AM EDT
[#36]

...What the Hi Power really has going for it is its ergonomics; which take a back seat to nothing.  For a full sized military automatic, the Hi Power is easily the most inherently “shootable” pistol out there.  It’s a damn fine gun.
There are some other minor annoyances of the Hi Power, but if you feed it a steady diet of STANDARD pressure 9mm, it will last you a couple lifetimes.  NO pistol is perfect, but to my mind the Hi Power is far closer to “perfection” than most.  

Damn, man.  A complete, all-encompassing Browning High Power love rant.  

Well done.

Link Posted: 12/7/2011 4:35:27 PM EDT
[#37]
seriously?
Link Posted: 12/7/2011 4:53:37 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I had to think about it myself for a second. All the engraving probably made it difficult. I don;t know anybody who owns one, never owned one myself and the one or two 'internet board friends' who have bought one sold them within the year. I guess I am sayin you just don't see them often.......and the massive engraving obscures the obvious a bit.
Link Posted: 12/7/2011 5:04:38 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I had to think about it myself for a second. All the engraving probably made it difficult. I don;t know anybody who owns one, never owned one myself and the one or two 'internet board friends' who have bought one sold them within the year. I guess I am sayin you just don't see them often.......and the massive engraving obscures the obvious a bit.

Link Posted: 12/7/2011 5:40:22 PM EDT
[#40]
Again, old Moan&die had that High Power stuffed in a bag he had with him.
He was actually carrying a snub nosed revolver when captured that looked like an electroless nickled Colt Python or Diamondback.
I have only come across two screen shots of the actual revolver and both are of fairly poor quality.
Link Posted: 12/7/2011 6:00:13 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
The Hi Power was created LONG before the advent of NATO or +P pressure ammo, and consequently the Hi Power doesn’t survive +P ammo for long.  I personally think +P in 9mm is a complete waste of time, but hey, that’s just me.  
The locking cam block on a Hi Power is pressed into a fairly thin section of the frame.  NATO pressure 9mm will eventually cause this to set back in the frame, ruining the gun.  Also, of all the full sized 9mm pistols out there, the Hi Power has the lightest weight slide, and again; when used with NATO pressure ammunition, you WILL eventually crack the slide.
What the Hi Power really has going for it is its ergonomics; which take a back seat to nothing.  For a full sized military automatic, the Hi Power is easily the most inherently “shootable” pistol out there.  It’s a damn fine gun.

That's what the .40S&W is for.

My wife had her heart set on a Springfield XD until I showed her a used BHP .40. She was reluctant to even look at it until I gave her some history on it. That was several years ago and it's still hers to this day.
Link Posted: 12/7/2011 8:36:24 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I agree, If you can't recognize a HP you could unknowingly end up with one of the damn things.

Link Posted: 1/6/2012 12:26:47 AM EDT
[#43]

Gadaffi's HP was most likely part of a 2009 arms deal between Belgium and Libya, along with F2000's and FN 303's.
http://atwar.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/12/28/tracking-belgian-weapons-in-libya/
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top