BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/24/2017 12:11:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Ok,
I also posted this on RFC, so if you saw it there you can move on...

So I'm a pretty big MkII fan. When the MkIII came out, and saw the horrible LCI, etc. I was kinda .

Then the MkIV came out. NO LCI, simplified breakdown etc.

So, that being said, is the MkIV the new standard? When the MkIII came out many (including me) were like "never". Has the reaction to the MkIV been the same? Other than the recall, and issues with the IV? Is it truly the best of the Mk series? Or, is it Ruger's attempt to keep an old established line "fresh" and "new"? Don't get me wrong, I'm not selling my MkIIs, but I have that "itch" and was wondering if the MkIV would "scratch" it.
View Quote
I’m a big fan of the MKII

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/13/2017 4:41:42 PM EDT
[#2]
I am a Mk.II fan myself.

Reassembly is EASY if you follow the method outlined by TAC-SOL in their PAC-LITE "upper" owners manual.
Link Posted: 12/21/2017 2:49:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There was nothing on the MkII that needed fixing, IMO.  THAT was a damn good pistol.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/23042/Mk-II-No-Rib--1280x853--262397.jpg
View Quote
I agree. My MKII won't be going anywhere. The MKIII was an abomination, pure and simple (Ruger needs to tell their lawyer NO! more often). The MKIV is a nice gun, but I never had an issue with takedown on the MKII and don't care for the aesthetics of the MKIV hinge.
Link Posted: 12/23/2017 11:51:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I still prefer my Mark II to any of the newer versions.
View Quote
I just bought a MK II and can't wait to shoot it. What's the story on the LCI? Why is it hated so much?
Link Posted: 12/23/2017 11:22:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I just bought a MK II and can't wait to shoot it. What's the story on the LCI? Why is it hated so much?
View Quote
Can functioning issues; failures to eject as the LCI can drag on the bolt and slow it down.
Link Posted: 12/24/2017 3:57:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
No school like the Old School!

Mk I, baby!!

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/91672/1981_Ruger_Mk_I-324707.JPG

AKA simply the Standard Model
View Quote
I was >< that close to acquiring one just like yours for 160 bucks at a pawnshop. It was in great condition but turned out to be stolen. I hope the original owner got it back already.
Link Posted: 12/24/2017 4:04:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Can functioning issues; failures to eject as the LCI can drag on the bolt and slow it down.
View Quote
Ah, I see. Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/25/2017 12:32:47 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote
Just removed mine on my MK3 awhile back it caused stovepiping.  Kind of annoying to clear since I had to drop mag and lose a good round each time.  Dropped in the tandemcross delete and I must say it looks so much better without the unsightly LCI.
Link Posted: 12/26/2017 1:38:01 PM EDT
[#9]
I sold my MkII Slabside only because my MkIII Hunter seemed to out shoot it a little bit with most ammo.  I haven't gotten around to really trying out my MkIII yet, but the trigger is worse than the other two
by a good bit.
Link Posted: 12/27/2017 3:42:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I sold my MkII Slabside only because my MkIII Hunter seemed to out shoot it a little bit with most ammo.  I haven't gotten around to really trying out my MkIII yet, but the trigger is worse than the other two
by a good bit.
View Quote
Remove the magazine disconnect and install a bushing.  Polish up and clean up the rough parts of the trigger and it makes a huge difference.  Mine went from 6-7# to about 3.5-4#.
Link Posted: 12/27/2017 5:17:26 PM EDT
[#11]
My faves are the 22/45 MKII and MKIV Target. I have the earlier and my kid has the latter.
Link Posted: 2/1/2018 8:45:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Damn MARK IV COMPETITION has been begging for me to get one.
View Quote
Well I always wanted a COMPETITION. However Ruger offered the all stainless TARGET in a threaded model that sucked me in.  :)
Link Posted: 2/7/2018 12:39:00 AM EDT
[#13]
Let me just start off saying,

She's a brick house!

I picked up the RUGER MARK IV STAINLESS TARGET 5.5" THREADED from the FFL today. I am so happy with it. It is a picture perfect specimen. Completely Flawless cosmeticly. Unbelievable fit and finish. This thing could be photographed and put on the cover of any gun rag. It is freaking beautiful.

Now, I will be deleting the ambi safety, and installing a improved trigger. The trigger "FEELS" like about a consistent 8 lbs as you continue to pull and pulll and that's it, Pull it a little more. Any time now. Then tick. Dang it was like binge watching a mini series to get to the end of that dang thing.

Now for the part I have been waiting for.

She stripped down like a very, very, tight and costly call girl. However once together she was like one solid piece of stainless. You would never guess she had a button you could push and she would just open up like she do,,,but she do.

Let's just say this is the kind you don't let gat away.

Now,,, I just have to break it to my woman. I hope she understands......

Wish me luck.
Bill
Link Posted: 2/7/2018 12:25:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Let me just start off saying,

She's a brick house!

I picked up the RUGER MARK IV STAINLESS TARGET 5.5" THREADED from the FFL today. I am so happy with it. It is a picture perfect specimen. Completely Flawless cosmeticly. Unbelievable fit and finish. This thing could be photographed and put on the cover of any gun rag. It is freaking beautiful.

Now, I will be deleting the ambi safety, and installing a improved trigger. The trigger "FEELS" like about a consistent 8 lbs as you continue to pull and pulll and that's it, Pull it a little more. Any time now. Then tick. Dang it was like binge watching a mini series to get to the end of that dang thing.

Now for the part I have been waiting for.

She stripped down like a very, very, tight and costly call girl. However once together she was like one solid piece of stainless. You would never guess she had a button you could push and she would just open up like she do,,,but she do.

Let's just say this is the kind you don't let gat away.

Now,,, I just have to break it to my woman. I hope she understands......

Wish me luck.
Bill
View Quote
I'm debating on the one you got or the tactical.  Your post has almost sold me.  I like the idea of all SS construction, but the tactical being a little lighter and more compact is also appealing. Decisions...

Edit for typo
Link Posted: 2/7/2018 10:30:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Get both or go be poor somewhere else.

Link Posted: 2/9/2018 7:26:33 PM EDT
[#16]
I have a MKII with the long tapered barrel.  I had Clark Custom Guns do the trigger in it years ago. To this day that trigger is better than any Volquartsen trigger that I fired in a MK series, and I've fired a lot of them at my club.

I'd love to pick up another MKII for my son if I find a deal on one.
Link Posted: 2/9/2018 8:23:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Ruger MK II Slabside owner, bought new. long ago.

Never had a problem with disassembly or re-assembly, even before YouTube vids were common.

Those who cannot maintain simple tools ought not posses them.
View Quote

Agreed. It's really not that hard
Link Posted: 2/15/2018 11:36:15 PM EDT
[#18]

Link Posted: 2/15/2018 11:40:55 PM EDT
[#19]

Link Posted: 2/16/2018 12:30:01 AM EDT
[#20]
Damn, that's sexy.
Link Posted: 3/16/2018 10:52:23 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I agree. My MKII won't be going anywhere. The MKIII was an abomination, pure and simple (Ruger needs to tell their lawyer NO! more often). The MKIV is a nice gun, but I never had an issue with takedown on the MKII and don't care for the aesthetics of the MKIV hinge.
View Quote
+1 with everything you said, especially the last part. Somehow that clunky hinge just ruins the sleek lines of a tapered barreled gun.
Link Posted: 3/30/2018 10:20:12 PM EDT
[#22]
MK IV without a doubt.
Link Posted: 4/29/2018 2:18:07 PM EDT
[#23]
My mk ll competition is my favorite.22, but if you shoot a lot of rounds especially suppressed, it is nice to be able to quickly remove the bolt on the mkiv's and give them a quick wipe down. My mkiv 22/45 lite gets shot a lot but doesn't seem as reliable as my mkii, even if I clean it often. I think it's a magazine issue.
Link Posted: 4/29/2018 4:19:02 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 4/29/2018 5:18:27 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Remove the magazine disconnect and install a bushing.  Polish up and clean up the rough parts of the trigger and it makes a huge difference.  Mine went from 6-7# to about 3.5-4#.
View Quote
Ditto.  The only aftermarket FCG part in my MkIII is a bushing and the trigger is very good.  I also added some moly grease to any parts that move.
Link Posted: 4/29/2018 5:31:06 PM EDT
[#26]
I sold my MK II a few years ago. Finally replaced it a week or so ago.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 8:21:41 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
MK IV without a doubt.
View Quote
I just installed the volquartsen trigger Accuracy kit. It had a very nice trigger. However it was light striking.

I Emailed Volquartsen who immediately sent me out a surestrike firing pin that took care of the issue.

This thing is everything I hoped it would be. A Solid Crisp Stainless rack driver.
Link Posted: 6/3/2018 1:13:59 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
MK's II, III & IV are all solutions in search of problems.  None of the changes was needed nor made for a better firearm.  All increased the complexity and tendency toward malfunction.

The changes were all driven by an attempt to make the firearm more appealing to the companies lawyers and accountants.

The MK's are not combat guns.  They are recreational sidearms.  They do not need magazine releases for quicker magazine changes.  They don't need bolt hold open devices (I assume most can count to nine as they usually have ten fingers and thumbs).

The last BS about making them easier to strip and reassemble is proof positive that many firearms users never read the manual.  The earlier MK's had it right there in black and white how to disassemble and reassemble the firearm.

And, how long was it until the MKIV was recalled?
View Quote
Damn! Someone's got MKIV Envy.
Link Posted: 6/4/2018 9:32:13 AM EDT
[#29]
My problem with the Mark II’s and Mark  III’s disassembly and reassembly is that i learn how to take it apart and reassemble, but after a few years i forget and i have to watch a youtube video or get a manual ti freshen up my memory. The guns just dont need to be cleaned that ofter by a disassembly, some spray gun scrub and a patch in the barrel is all they need for a few years and then a complete takedown. I love my Mark III hunter and its my work horse. But i also own a Mark IV that i feel is a superior gun once you install the Volquartsen trigger setup.
My suggestion is Mark IV and a few after market trigger mods and you will be tickled.
Link Posted: 6/4/2018 11:39:38 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
My problem with the Mark II’s and Mark  III’s disassembly and reassembly is that i learn how to take it apart and reassemble, but after a few years i forget and i have to watch a youtube video or get a manual ti freshen up my memory. The guns just dont need to be cleaned that ofter by a disassembly, some spray gun scrub and a patch in the barrel is all they need for a few years and then a complete takedown. I love my Mark III hunter and its my work horse. But i also own a Mark IV that i feel is a superior gun once you install the Volquartsen trigger setup.
My suggestion is Mark IV and a few after market trigger mods and you will be tickled.
View Quote
Yep that's what I did. 5" Stainless Threaded Target W/ Volquartsen accurizing kit.

Damn fine shooter once I installed the Volquartsen surefire firing pin that Volquartsen sent me.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top