Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 4:14:13 PM EDT
[#1]
I finally got to take my 1911 to the range last week.  All went well.  It few some SWC reloads, Winchester and UMC FMJ, Reminton range JHP, Fiocchi FMJ, and, mostly Federal JHP +P.  The Federal stuff wouldn't feed the last round in an extremely reliable magazine, so I don't know what to make of that.  Just going to load the Remington JHP for HD for now.

The only real issue I had was that the round were hitting just low and left of point of aim.  If I were aiming at a BG's heart inside my apartment, I would hit him just low and left of his sternum.  I'll adjust the rear sight and my point of aim to correct this.  I put a few hundred rounds through it, though, and everything was great.

I STILL need a Clark's grip safety though...
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 11:16:28 PM EDT
[#2]
You sure theres enough clearance on the grip safety for that commander hammer??
Link Posted: 7/15/2008 8:08:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Yup.  Slide over hammer and there is still about a millimeter of space.  I was concerned about that, too, but there is more than enough room.  After a few hundred rounds, there was no contact between the two.
Link Posted: 7/15/2008 8:58:14 PM EDT
[#4]

What sort of a two-handed hold / grip are these soldier's using? It sure looks effective!  
Link Posted: 7/15/2008 9:24:50 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
What sort of a two-handed hold / grip are these soldier's using? It sure looks effective!  

No idea what it's called, but it looks like what a Navy friend of mine taught me.  The other side (if this is the same hold) is strong hand thumb above weak hand thumb with both thumbs pointing downrange.  Weak side thumb is beneath the slide stop and the strong side thumb is beneath the thumb safety.  I like it.  Felt weird at first, but it's how I shoot now.

ETA: Check out the "Combat Grip" on top of the 1911 forum.
Link Posted: 7/15/2008 10:08:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Some MEUSOC 1911 pictures in my picture collection:

And not a MEUSOC. This was on one of the soldiers who took out Saddams sons:
Link Posted: 7/15/2008 10:14:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Nice, thanks for the pics!

And, yeah, they are using the grip I was thinking of.  I think it's effective.
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 11:34:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Hey thanks! I looked at the link at the top of this page.  That hold is clearly the way to go!
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 5:16:06 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

The only real issue I had was that the round were hitting just low and left of point of aim.  If I were aiming at a BG's heart inside my apartment, I would hit him just low and left of his sternum.  I'll adjust the rear sight and my point of aim to correct this.  I put a few hundred rounds through it, though, and everything was great.

Low left for a right handed shooter is typically a sign of jerking the trigger.  
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 6:38:39 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
i114.photobucket.com/albums/n262/poohbigb/meu19113.jpg

What sort of a two-handed hold / grip are these soldier's Marines using? It sure looks effective!  

Fixed it for ya.

Fred
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 3:40:44 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Hey thanks! I looked at the link at the top of this page.  That hold is clearly the way to go!

The problem is that once you get used to a high thumbs-forward hold, which works amazingly well on 1911s and Glocks, you'll be slapping the slide release all the time on Sigs and XDs.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 5:24:03 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The problem is that once you get used to a high thumbs-forward hold, which works amazingly well on 1911s and Glocks, you'll be slapping the slide release all the time on Sigs and XDs.

Yup.  I did that on a friend's full size .40 XD last week.  First shot and it locked back.  I was so confused for a second, heh.
Link Posted: 7/30/2008 8:49:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Well, I happened into a new "part."  I don't know if I am going to use it or not, but if the metal is good, I likely will.

It is a M1911 Colt receiver made in 1918.  The insides actually have very little wear, but the finish is almost totally gone and there is fairly deep pitting in certain areas.  It also looks like someone began to refinish it and screwed up.  It was in a lot of three M1911s.  I got to clean them all and the shop owner made me a killer deal on the receiver.

Link Posted: 7/30/2008 9:24:13 PM EDT
[#14]
The ICQB/MCSOCOM light is a different animal - I ended up with one a few years back, and it's been dinking around riding an airsoft gun for the last couple years.

Latest from Dawson is that it's discontinued for good, and that a nitrolon POS, or a Dawson made adaptor for the X300 is the best option (an X300 would functionally kick this thing's arse, especially in the weight department, but the re-pro value is up there.

I'll post some pictures of it on my airsoft rig.

I DIDN"T have a hard time getting the 6004-538-521 holster for it, DiamondbackTactical was more than happy to custom order it from Safariland, and they had CB practically ready to go.
Link Posted: 7/31/2008 7:38:42 PM EDT
[#15]
All the metal looks good in the 1911 frame.  My smith says it should be just fine with regular loads and the occasional +p (which I don't shoot anyway).  What say you guys?
Link Posted: 7/31/2008 9:37:19 PM EDT
[#16]
I say don't waste your time.....

Send it to me instead

Looks like it would make a nice build.
Link Posted: 7/31/2008 10:01:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/1/2008 1:58:48 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I do that all the time on my Sig. UGH

wait, maybe not. I ride the thumb safety on my 1911s which translates to riding the slide release on the Sig so it never locks back...

Gotta get used to that.
Link Posted: 8/1/2008 2:40:11 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I do that all the time on my Sig. UGH

wait, maybe not. I ride the thumb safety on my 1911s which translates to riding the slide release on the Sig so it never locks back...

Gotta get used to that.

My first handguns were Sigs, and I used a 'crossed thumb' hold (or whatever it is called.) Worked great. Then I bought a Colt 1991A1 many moons ago, got used to the high-thumbs hold, and that was pretty much the end of my love of Sigs. Lord knows I tried (even bought a P226 not too long ago, to try again), but my gray matter can't seem to deal with differentiating between Sigs/XDs and Glocks/1911s.
Link Posted: 8/6/2008 2:51:49 PM EDT
[#20]
Here is a picture of the gun as it stands.  The grip safety is still getting trimmed to fit and hasn't even been cold blued (until I can park everything).  I'm trying to make the grip safety fit as closely as possible by modifying it because I don't want to mess with the frame any more than the parkerizing.

Link Posted: 8/6/2008 6:20:50 PM EDT
[#21]
That's looking pretty good! Are you going to go for a rail, or did you manage to score one of the old-school Surefires?
Link Posted: 8/6/2008 6:30:17 PM EDT
[#22]
At the moment, I'm going to go light-less.  Ironic considering how I titled this thread.  Better picture.

Link Posted: 8/16/2008 12:14:29 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yup.  I did that on a friend's full size .40 XD last week.  First shot and it locked back.  I was so confused for a second, heh.

Similar thing happens to me, only it never locks back unless I readjust my grip.  
Link Posted: 9/9/2008 6:54:26 PM EDT
[#24]
Unfortunately I can't really add much to the thread as far what lights or rails go on what, but I thought I these pictures might be appreciated here.

This is my MEUSOCish 1911. It started out as a Springfield Armory Mil-Spec. The surviving original SA parts are the slide, frame, barrel and bushing. Everything else has been upgraded. All parts were fitted and blended by me with the exception of the 4.5 pound trigger job and the final parkerizing. The glaring inaccuracies are the sights both front and rear (I couldn't find a source for a clone of the actual rear sight), the lack of a King's or any other brand ambi-safety, memory bump on the grip safety and a match grade barrel. Aside from that I'm very impressed with the accuracy and reliability so far.

Link Posted: 9/10/2008 1:19:09 PM EDT
[#25]
Very nice!  The Millet sights (Brownells has them all) have close to the same contours as the early MEUSOC pistols.
Link Posted: 9/11/2008 9:40:48 AM EDT
[#26]
The MEU SOC light is a Surefire Military Model on a Dawson Rail.
Link Posted: 9/13/2008 9:17:33 PM EDT
[#27]
Just thought I would give a range report.  I did the slide/frame fit, the extractor, safeties, and hammer on my own.

I shot 116 rounds: 100 round of WWB and 16 rounds of Remington standard load JHP.  Used CMC 8-round magazines and two random cheapy 7 rounders.  One of the 8 rounders, though, was a Wilson 7 round body with CMC 8 round spring and follower.

Every single round fed, fired, and ejected perfectly.  Accuracy was ok, though I could not adjust the rear sight at all (we drilled it and tapped it for a set screw since the SA GI dovetail was too big for the Millet rear sight) since I forgot to bring a flat head with me.

Overall, I am very happy with my 90 year old receiver.  All went well and it felt great.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top