Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/4/2010 10:25:56 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

I like the end result of Melonite.  I just feel that it seems to cause some dimensional changes.  Technically these are very small like .0004" per surface.  

The last two guns I did with Melonite QPQ had some fitting issues, but then I melonited some small parts like the thumb safety and barrel bushings.  

I wonder if a Baer could be field stripped and Melonited and still fit together at the end.  

In a perfect world it would, and then it would be the obvious choice.
Interesting. I also heard something about it causing heat treat issues or is that wrong?

Link Posted: 10/4/2010 3:01:31 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

I like the end result of Melonite. I just feel that it seems to cause some dimensional changes. Technically these are very small like .0004" per surface.

The last two guns I did with Melonite QPQ had some fitting issues, but then I melonited some small parts like the thumb safety and barrel bushings.

I wonder if a Baer could be field stripped and Melonited and still fit together at the end.

I've been told that's why they recommend it with a gun that's been broken in, not a new one.

Clearances will be opened up a little to account for the slight part growth.
Link Posted: 10/4/2010 3:09:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I like the end result of Melonite.  I just feel that it seems to cause some dimensional changes.  Technically these are very small like .0004" per surface.  

Interesting. I also heard something about it causing heat treat issues or is that wrong?

Would it be feasible (or a realistic option) to have all the small parts done with Ionbond and then everything else done with Melonite ?

Link Posted: 10/4/2010 5:36:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Would it be feasible (or a realistic option) to have all the small parts done with Ionbond and then everything else done with Melonite ?

http://www.springerprecision.com/

Go to the IonBond order form. You can get parts done.

EDIT: I'm thinking of doing this if I ever get my Loaded back from Miller Custom. The disconnector/sear/hammer and barrel were left in the white because of the melonite process. I hate the thought of having to babysit bare steel, so I'm thinking of having those parts IonBonded in the future.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/5/2010 7:54:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.springerprecision.com/

Go to the IonBond order form. You can get parts done.

EDIT: I'm thinking of doing this if I ever get my Loaded back from Miller Custom. The disconnector/sear/hammer and barrel were left in the white because of the melonite process. I hate the thought of having to babysit bare steel, so I'm thinking of having those parts IonBonded in the future.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

Not sure how well IonBond DLC and Melonite are going to match.
Link Posted: 10/5/2010 2:02:19 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Not sure how well IonBond DLC and Melonite are going to match.

Oh, I know. I just don't care

It's gonna be a carry gun and I don't want in the white steel anywhere near my body.

IonBonding all those parts will be the next best thing to Melonite, and far better than any other finish I can put on them.
Link Posted: 10/5/2010 3:52:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Who does everyone recommend for refinishing in either Melonite or Ion Bond? I read the reviews of Coal Creek Armory and was not impressed.
Link Posted: 10/5/2010 5:02:44 PM EDT
[#8]
i'm gonna run my kimber until it's ugly.  then i'll send it off for coating.
Link Posted: 10/5/2010 11:06:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Who does everyone recommend for refinishing in either Melonite or Ion Bond? I read the reviews of Coal Creek Armory and was not impressed.

Any more on this? This is my pick so far.

J
Link Posted: 10/5/2010 11:45:38 PM EDT
[#10]
I am about to have a NIB Springfield Armory Custom Long Slide in stainless.  Will the IonBond over the stainless give it the look of a really nice blueing?  Is this gun finished in ionBond?

This is what I'd like the finish to be on this gun soon after I get it.

Link Posted: 10/6/2010 1:18:52 AM EDT
[#11]
I have a Wilson CQB with about 8k rounds thru it.  Finish is holding up pretty well.  While I like IonBond, I won't have any of my pistol's finished with it.  Read up on their new shipping policies.
Link Posted: 10/6/2010 8:27:54 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

J

+1. I googled and could only find one unhappy camper oevr on the P7 forums. Everything else I've read has been positive.....

I am about to have a NIB Springfield Armory Custom Long Slide in stainless. Will the IonBond over the stainless give it the look of a really nice blueing? Is this gun finished in ionBond?

It might be, or it could be a high polished blue, i can't tell from the pic. As to your Springfield, I believe that it has a brushed satin finish on the flats with matted rounds, so it will look like brushed black oxide without some further surface polishing.

The most "blued" looking IonBond or melonited pistols I've seen come from Dave Erickson at Condition One
Link Posted: 10/6/2010 2:10:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

J

Below is a link to the google review of the company in general. I am still looking for referances as they seem to be the only company doing melonite.

Google review
Link Posted: 10/6/2010 6:10:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

J

+1. I googled and could only find one unhappy camper oevr on the P7 forums. Everything else I've read has been positive.....

I am about to have a NIB Springfield Armory Custom Long Slide in stainless. Will the IonBond over the stainless give it the look of a really nice blueing? Is this gun finished in ionBond?

It might be, or it could be a high polished blue, i can't tell from the pic. As to your Springfield, I believe that it has a brushed satin finish on the flats with matted rounds, so it will look like brushed black oxide without some further surface polishing.

The most "blued" looking IonBond or melonited pistols I've seen come from Dave Erickson at Condition One

From everything I have read Ionbond is a lot like bluing in that if the gun is highly polished it will be smooth, if it is rough then so will the finish.

I would send my guns to Springer Precision. As far as I know all the guns go through him anyway.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 12:26:00 PM EDT
[#15]
No worries if you guys want to use Coal Creek Armory to do melonite/isonite treatment.
Here are some pictures of my Springfield loaded they did earlier this year. The finish is
flawless and tough as NAILS!

-ZA

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top