Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/20/2012 5:53:12 PM EDT
[#1]
I have many firearms I barely used. I try to keep them nice. I've owned many vintage firearms I try to keep nice for future care takers, I like to think 100 year old rifles have paid their dues. Shoot them but I don't beat them

Then I have guns I shoot the shit out of. The scuffs, burns, dings, and dents don't bother me at all. I'm proud of my high round count rifles and how well they held up. Run a few carbine classes with a rifle, enter a few competitions and it will just naturally earn it's patina. My buddy has a well worn DE 50 cal that looks awesome and shoots great.
Link Posted: 6/21/2012 8:18:20 AM EDT
[#2]
It's just like a new car. It's just to get you from A to B but you still cringe when you get that first scratch or mark on it. Then as time goes on it matters less.

It's funny, when I had a brand new truck, I would still take it everywhere but I felt bad when I put the first scratch on it but when I had a used truck I just didn't care... same with guns. New guns are purdy but enough time will wear on them.
Link Posted: 6/21/2012 11:17:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Then why do i feel so bad when i scratch them? I have recently  started carrying because the laws in my state have changed so i have started carrying the guns i already own. i only bought one gun just for carry that i don't mind what happens to it it was cheap enough that i don't mind getting holster wear on it. but my other gun carry's better but I'm starting to get freaky about seeing very early signs of holster wear and i noticed a scratch so can someone enplane to me if guns are tools why am i worried about wear. I don't have problems shooting the hell out of the gun but there is something about holster and scratching my guns?

Flitz and Oxpho-blue are your friends.
Link Posted: 6/22/2012 9:00:28 PM EDT
[#4]
so maybe i should go grab the gun and scratch the gun and get it over with and start wearing the hell out of it. i have never had a new car  or a car that i was afraid to scratch so  i cant make the comparison
Link Posted: 6/22/2012 10:41:27 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

so maybe i should go grab the gun and scratch the gun and get it over with and start wearing the hell out of it. i have never had a new car  or a car that i was afraid to scratch so  i cant make the comparison

Never had a new car...but this old beast does it's job.

87 F250 with a 4 speed and a big block 460.

Link Posted: 6/22/2012 10:46:54 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

When you use a tool it usually starts to get wear marks on it, just a part of using it. Do you buy a chainsaw to hang on the wall, or do you buy it to cut down trees? There is difference between use, and abuse.
I am going with a theme here...this is a P229 that I bought used. From what I can gather from the sale it was a police trade in from IN. The gun had been gone through by Sig, and all the internals had been replaced. Beat up but will function when required. 2k through a used gun and GTG.

Link Posted: 6/23/2012 1:06:32 AM EDT
[#7]
i like your style bud
Link Posted: 6/23/2012 4:37:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Well let the flame war begin but im a husqy kind of guy. but the sig looks nice
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 11:55:48 AM EDT
[#9]
I like pretty, clean guns. Guess that makes me less masculine around here, oh well.
OP, you can always get your gun cerakoted if you're really concerned about it.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top