BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 11:55:40 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
pull up on the slide stop and let go dose it snap back down?
Yes, it pops back down.  Somehow there needs to be more pressure pushing out on the slide stop to work.

none of my glocks slide release's release by pushing in

all of them require me to pull down on the release to disengage from the slide.

When I try to press down on the slide release, it just pushes into the pistol.  I can see how by my post you thought I was pushing it in, but what I meant was, I cannot keep it from going in while I am pushing down.  On my Glock it will sink into the pistol and bottom out on the frame but will not release the slide.  If you have the slide open, reach in the ejection port push out on the framestop/slide release then it will drop the slide (watch the fingers on that one though).

The oil you see on the frame is from me.  It was CLP from my hands while cleaning the Glock and some other guns.  

Thanks for all the advice, It seems like I will need an extended slide stop if I want it to work correctly like the Glock manual states.  I don't want to send it back to glock like someone suggested becase it is IMO easier and cheaper to buy the slide stop. I have been looking for slide stops and there are so many different kinds.  Which one is preferred?  Again, thanks for all the help.

After the slide locks back and you remove the magazine, what happens if you pull back on the slide and let go?
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 12:16:53 PM EDT
[#2]
#1  Water in the gun doesnt hurt it. especially a Glock.  Just do a little wipe down work , or use some compressed air, for those of you who are fucktards You can get compressed air in little cans for cleaning your key board etc, or from a small home air compressor, or instead use a blow dryer.
No the heat will not melt your Glock.

#2 If everytime you change a magazine you use the slide stop as a release and you practice this routinely you  wont ever have any problems hitting this stop/release.  While I have never been on a two way gun range I have fired alot of rounds in some crazy stressful situations.   I have also done alittle bit of competition shooting.  Never once have I had a problem engaging the slide release. (oops Slide Stop sorry)

#3 You can release the slide with an empty mag in the gun by  means of the slide stop

#4 Send your gun back to Glock and tell them to fix it.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 12:27:36 PM EDT
[#3]
After the slide locks back and you remove the magazine, what happens if you pull back on the slide and let go?

When I take out the mag and pull the slide back on the slide it goes forward into position.  
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 12:46:34 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
#2 If everytime you change a magazine you use the slide stop as a release and you practice this routinely you  wont ever have any problems hitting this stop/release.  While I have never been on a two way gun range I have fired alot of rounds in some crazy stressful situations.   I have also done alittle bit of competition shooting.  Never once have I had a problem engaging the slide release. (oops Slide Stop sorry)

Like I said, if it works for you, go for it.  I'm training the same way on a multitude of guns, many of which lack an external lever for the slide, and I'm also training for worst case scenarios, when I'm covered in blood, dead burnt bodies, and veins in my teeth.  I'm not smart enough to have to think of a new way to do it on the spot, when my thumb is covered in goopus, so I take the simplest method for me, and the one that I know will work, no matter what gun I have in my hand.  

On the other items, I totally agree and #1 had me

Cheers,

kk7sm
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 2:28:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Why do some of you keep telling him to send it back to Glock?  There is absolutely nothing wrong with the gun.  If he doesn't want to spend any money, he can use the slingshot method or he can just let the gun break in.  If he doesn't mind spending $15 or so, he can get an extended slide stop lever.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 5:26:29 PM EDT
[#6]
If you CAN NOT push the slide release, DOH! stop , slide stop down, then there is something wrong, it does not appear he is capable of fixing it himself, so send it to Glock to have them fix it.

When I first got my G21 it took a lot of force to depress the slide  stop but you could release the slide this way.  If that was what he said the problem was I would advise him to go run a thousand rounds through it and call it good.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 5:48:47 PM EDT
[#7]
G19 was really hard to relase the slide via the stop by just pushing down. I had to use a conbination of pushing IN and DOWN to get to to release. When done correctly, it was really easy to release the slide.

If you use the slide stop to release, you should consider one of the aftermarket stops. They have a nice ridge on them that makes it very easy to operate the lever.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 8:40:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Does anyone have a pic. and/or a preference on slide release? Thanks
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 3:31:01 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Originally Posted By AJ-IN-JAX

When I take out the mag and pull the slide back on the slide it goes forward into position.  

I'm having trouble figuring out what you're thinking is wrong with your gun.

If you're trying to push the slide stop/release down with an empty mag. in the receiver you're going to have a bitch of a time doing it because you're having to overcome the mag. spring pushing up on the stop/release & the slide pushing foward on the stop/realease.

WITH AN EMPTY MAG. IN you should be able to pull the slide back just a bit, push and hold down on the stop/realease (pushing the mag. down), then let go of the slide, the silde should go foward.

Any way you can post a pic of your stop/realease that's a little closer?

And do this. With the slide off, put in both an empty mag. and a mag. with a round in it and see what the stop/realease does in each case.

Also, is this your only Glock? I'm just wondering if you have more and they're not doing what your G21 is doing.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 3:33:39 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I have a G21. Take the receiver apart then reassemble. Could be the position of the slide catch spring.

If you zoom in on the pic the spring looks like it's in the correct position.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 4:28:32 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I have Glock extended slide releases on all my Glocks.  I bought mine through www.topglock.com, but you can also find them at www.glockmeister.com and www.lonewolfdist.com, among others.  Aerotak makes some also, but I have found Aerotek stuff to be outrageously priced.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 10:06:15 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

That explains a lot right there. Couldn't get into a a thinking man's outfit like the Army or the Air Force, eh?

For the not too bright out there, water in your trigger mechanisim is a BAD thing.

Nobody serious trains to use the slide lock button on the Glock because it isn't a reliable method under stress. Tap rack bang. Read it, learn it, live it.

Of course my experience PALES in comparison to a grease monkey like you I am sure.

Since we're piling on, allow me to point out that your advise on "tap rack bang" is misplaced here.  Tap rack bang is not for normal loading procedures.  If you train yourself to always do this, you're setting yourself up for a ND.  

Personally, I think training tap rack bang is a bad idea for clearning malfunctions anyway.  Tap and rack makes sense, but training to always include bang creates muscle memory that doesn't allow for a change in a tactical situation.  Tap, rack and reevaluate the situation, bang if required.  It doesn't sound as tacti-kewl as tap, rack, bang, but it makes a shitload more sense.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 10:56:42 AM EDT
[#13]

If you're trying to push the slide stop/release down with an empty mag. in the receiver you're going to have a bitch of a time doing it because you're having to overcome the mag. spring pushing up on the stop/release & the slide pushing foward on the stop/realease.

WITH AN EMPTY MAG. IN you should be able to pull the slide back just a bit, push and hold down on the stop/realease (pushing the mag. down), then let go of the slide, the silde should go foward.

And do this. With the slide off, put in both an empty mag. and a mag. with a round in it and see what the stop/realease does in each case.

Also, is this your only Glock? I'm just wondering if you have more and they're not doing what your G21 is doing.

The problem is with no mag or full mag.  The slide will go forward if you pull back on it but not with the slide release.  I only own one Glock but I called a friend who has a couple and slide release works fine.  

H53EXPERT: I ordered one from Topglock, Thanks
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 2:00:21 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

The problem is with no mag or full mag.  The slide will go forward if you pull back on it but not with the slide release.  I only own one Glock but I called a friend who has a couple and slide release works fine.  

H53EXPERT: I ordered one from Topglock, Thanks

With an Empty mag in all you have to do is push the release, the Empty Glock mag will not stop the slide from closing.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 3:18:07 PM EDT
[#15]
My guess (without wading through this entire thread!!) is that either the angle on the slide stop or the angle on the slide’s slide stop notch is incorrect.  This is where these two pieces engage each other when the slide is locked back.

When correct, these angles will tend to hold the slide lock in the engaged position.

However, pushing down firmly on the slide stop should slightly cam the slide back and then allow the slide to go forward.

Try this with the slide locked back:

1 - push firmly down on the engaged slide stop (preferably with no magazine in the pistol)

2 - while continuing to do this, very slowly pull (or push) back on the slide till you feel the slide stop move all the way down

This should give you some idea if the problem is the camming surfaces.  If it is, the offending part (either slide or slide stop) will have to be replaced or repaired.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 6:23:49 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
My guess (without wading through this entire thread!!) is that either the angle on the slide stop or the angle on the slide’s slide stop notch is incorrect.  This is where these two pieces engage each other when the slide is locked back.

When correct, these angles will tend to hold the slide lock in the engaged position.

However, pushing down firmly on the slide stop should slightly cam the slide back and then allow the slide to go forward.

Try this with the slide locked back:

1 - push firmly down on the engaged slide stop (preferably with no magazine in the pistol)

2 - while continuing to do this, very slowly pull (or push) back on the slide till you feel the slide stop move all the way down

This should give you some idea if the problem is the camming surfaces.  If it is, the offending part (either slide or slide stop) will have to be replaced or repaired.

When I do this it seems like the slide stop is the problem.  I think the thing is just bent/made wrong.  I hope the new extended slide stop will fix it.  Thanks for all the help.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 6:35:57 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Yep, your a troll, plenty of MPs see real action, and I never claimed to serve.  Again, your speaking about glocks and touting your military experience.  Glocks have never been issued in the army.  I'm sorry if your little POS beretta doesn't work right, Glocks do.

I wasn't an MP, I was 11B2P. Deal with it.

Trolls like to make crap up, like you insinuating I used a Glock in the service.

MPs tend to be well out of harms way. Not that you would know, neocon.

Reality is what it is. Tap rack bang is the way to go. Don't use the slide stop unless like Dusty here you are trying to save the entire Star Trek convention from an invasion of evil black dots printed on paper.

Link Posted: 2/9/2006 6:36:16 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have Glock extended slide releases on all my Glocks.  I bought mine through www.topglock.com, but you can also find them at www.glockmeister.com and www.lonewolfdist.com, among others.  Aerotak makes some also, but I have found Aerotek stuff to be outrageously priced.

I have extended slide releases on all my Glocks (by a bunch of different manf.) Including Arotek (Bought that one in 1995)
They are all pretty much the same. Some are larger than the Glock extended. But I really don't notice the difference between any of them. I can reach them all and they all function well.

The Factory one is good, get that.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 1:05:42 AM EDT
[#19]
Slide release.. whats that?  I've never used those.   Is it that hard to pull the slide to the rear?
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 5:24:55 AM EDT
[#20]
Be sure to let us know if changing out the slide stop worked...
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 7:31:11 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Be sure to let us know if changing out the slide stop worked...

I put a Glock extended slide stop on today and it fixed the problem.  Now that I have a slide stop to compare it to, I can see that the one that came on my Glock was not made right.  Thanks for the help and suggestions.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 7:59:24 PM EDT
[#22]
--good to hear!
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top