User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 1:51:50 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Whatever happened to kicking the shit out of someone that's trying really hard to get into a fistfight with you?

That's all fine and dandy until they pull a knife out of their pocket and stick you with it.  

No thanks, I'll pass.  I'd rather stay out of harms way if at all possible.

You're not out of harm's way.  By popping him, you just spent your kid's college money to shoot his sorry ass.

What percentage of fistfights end in a stabbing, if you had to guess?  .01%?  More?

You have a responsibility to yourself, if you're physically able, to have more tools available than just your CCW.

I've seen UFC and I believe that a healthy younger male could cause me serious bodily injury or death with a single blow. I've seen many brain damaged from a single blow. Once I'm out I am utterly helpless. If you kick me in the head or do a myriad of other things I could easily be killed.

A member of the NFL Seattle Seahawks was recently brain damaged by a single strike.

I don't know what training you've had. If you seek to hit me I will pepper spray you if I have a chance. If not, and you attempt to grab and grapple with me (and I am seeking to avoid contact) I might have to shoot you.

Fistfighting is not an option these days. Brain injury is no joke.  If you want to box go to a gym. If you're really good, compete in UFC.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 2:00:37 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Had an incident the other day. Two guys chasing a girl in traffic. I don't know if it was road rage or domestic or what ever. Girl weaves through heavy traffic in front of us and into an Apt. complex. Two guys are boxed in in the center lane. Driver lays on the horn and swerves towards our car and the passenger is half out the window screaming and shaking his fists at me as the tried to run me off the road to pursue her.

I unholstered the pistol and brought it up high enough for them to see. I DID NOT point it towards them. The passenger got right back in the window and the driver got back in his lane. The pair of them had the fight took right out of them. They drove all nice until the first chance they had to get off the street we were on.

You would go to jail. Brandishing a firearm. If you pointed it at them it would be felony assault.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 2:18:10 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I was sitting in traffic today and the guy in the car in front of me gets out of his vehicle and walks up to the next car at the light and starts screaming at the guy and pounding on his window.  It was a classic case of "road rage".  The guy proceeded to pound on the other drivers window so hard I though he was going to break it....screaming obsenitys at the top of his lungs. This guy was crazy!  Finally the light turned green and both vehicles took off.....I'm not really sure what happened after that, I just went on my way.

On the rest of my drive to work I was thinking about that situation in my head, and if it had happened to me.  

Here is my question...how bad does it have to get before I have the right to draw down on some crazy person who is beating on my car for no apparent reason?  Do I have to wait until he breaks the glass?  Do I have to roll down the window and try to reason with the guy?  Would pulling my firearm out and laying it on the seat be "brandishing a firearm"?  

Just a hypothetical question.

Thanks

You never even mentioned the option to just simply DRIVE AWAY!

If you are so threatened you are considering the use of deadly force, why not just drive off?
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 4:12:08 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Had an incident the other day. Two guys chasing a girl in traffic. I don't know if it was road rage or domestic or what ever. Girl weaves through heavy traffic in front of us and into an Apt. complex. Two guys are boxed in in the center lane. Driver lays on the horn and swerves towards our car and the passenger is half out the window screaming and shaking his fists at me as the tried to run me off the road to pursue her.

I unholstered the pistol and brought it up high enough for them to see. I DID NOT point it towards them. The passenger got right back in the window and the driver got back in his lane. The pair of them had the fight took right out of them. They drove all nice until the first chance they had to get off the street we were on.

Danish, glad it worked out.  But boy, what a chance you took.  In Ohio we're most highly discouraged, if not downright forbidden, to enter into someone else's fight.  The main reason being, you don't know who the innocent party is, and looks are deceiving.  You just don't know.  But... it worked out.  I'd get some legal advice so that if that happens again you'll have a better idea of what's legal.  Also, it's important just to be a good witness sometimes.  Get plates, descriptions etc.  Again, I'm glad it worked out, but be very careful.  Bet you gave those guys something to think about before they'll try something like that again.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 4:16:38 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I was sitting in traffic today and the guy in the car in front of me gets out of his vehicle and walks up to the next car at the light and starts screaming at the guy and pounding on his window.  It was a

imq, it seems to me that if anyone leaves their vehicle and heads for mine, espcially with a determinied demeanor and pace etc., even if there's no weapon, I'm drawing.  I'm not necessarily shooting, but he's going to see what he's up against.  This is not the same as brandishing a weapon or menacing or inducing a panic.  Brandishing is an offensive technique, this is defensive.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 6:37:25 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I found myself in a similar situation last year:

I was driving in the right hand lane of a 3 lane road, preparing to make a right into the turn lane and enter the mall. A camaro cut across 2 lanes, cut me off forcing me to slam on my brakes. The lady behind me lays on her horn. Guy in the camaro throws it in park, thinking I was honking. I wasn't. He jumps out and is freaking out. Really losing his shit. I open my center console, pull out my S&W model 66, layed it in my lap (loaded, hammer not back). The man came up to my window, He saw what I was holding in my lap and ran. He peeled off and I just sat there parked for maybe a minute, maybe more. I was in awe. I never raised or pointed it. I was lucky.

It was a moment to savor.  A moment of truth, when we see all the liberal baloney disappear and we are justified in our beliefs by cold hard evidence.  It was also a moment of power in which you equalized the bad guy's intent, which had to be quite ugly if he was as stupid as you say.  Wait till the next outbreak of domestic warefare and people come to us for protection, or some liberal friend asks if you have a spare gun he can borrow.  That will be another such moment.  Savor them.  One of these experiences undoes hundreds of threads of cowardly untruth.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 2:15:51 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Danish, glad it worked out.  But boy, what a chance you took.  In Ohio we're most highly discouraged, if not downright forbidden, to enter into someone else's fight.  The main reason being, you don't know who the innocent party is, and looks are deceiving.  You just don't know.  But... it worked out.  I'd get some legal advice so that if that happens again you'll have a better idea of what's legal.  Also, it's important just to be a good witness sometimes.  Get plates, descriptions etc.  Again, I'm glad it worked out, but be very careful.  Bet you gave those guys something to think about before they'll try something like that again.

IMHO Danish is extremely lucky that those punks didn't call the cops and accuse him of pointing his pistol at them.

As soon as someone is 'made aware' that you have a pistol, (especially if they can describe it accurately), you have placed yourself in legal jeapardy. All it takes is for them to call the popos and tell the dispatcher that you were threatining them with a gun. Hell, they even know what kind of gun it is and can describe it. You will likely be charged with 'assault with a deadly weapon, gun'.

I will never show anyone my pistol in an altercation....until I can substantiate that I felt 'in danger of being killed or gravely injured'...then they will likely only see the muzzel flash.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 12:19:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Don't forget that a lot of people carry guns. I think that if you show your weapon, you may have just turned a disagreement into a gunfight. I'm not in the habbit of approaching other peoples cars in an unruly manner, but if someone pointed a gun at me, I'd shoot them.

Never use your weapon to take a life, only use you weapon to save a life.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 9:25:01 PM EDT
[#9]
If they get out of their car and start pounding on your window, I think it'd be safe to have the gun out of the holster and pointed at them, or at least on your lap where they can see it.  
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top