Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 12:53:24 PM EDT
[#1]
I used to get the "you must be crazy" line all the time from my immediate family(wife and two daughters).
I got a CCP and just kept up the habit of always carrying and I suppose the novelty wore off and now they don't say anything.  They still think I am crazy but they keep it to themselves.

My position has always been that as the husband and father the safety of my family is my concern and duty and that I refuse to have my hands tied behind my back with that responsibility.  In the middle of the night if there is a noise I am the one to check it out.  Ultimately I am responsible and because of that I am armed.
My family and I went to a falls in a national forrest today and of course I carried.  As usual nothing happened but I felt much better with a concealed glock 19 with a 16 round magazine.

It has never made any sense to me to impose a duty and then to prevent the one who has that duty from fulfilling it in the best way he can.  I am happy to defend myself and my family but I will do it my way, with a gun.  Anything else would, in my humble opinion, be just stupid.  I believe in being crazy and alive.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 7:11:52 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Does anyone else have friends or family that thinks it's totally crazy to cary a gun.....or am I the only one?

Since I got into arms four years ago and began carrying one year ago, five of the six members of my close family and one extended member have purchased high capacity semi-auto evil battle rifles. One has a CHL permit and carries regularly. Of my five closest friends, since that time, one got his CHL and a pistol and carries regularly, two others have purchased EBR's, and the four that don't have a CHL, pistol, or rifle, shoot regularly with my guns and will purchase their own when they get the funding.

Link Posted: 12/28/2005 7:22:55 PM EDT
[#3]
The only time I get grief from my wife is when we go to sit-down restaurants.  VA has this damn stupid rule about no CH's in alcohol serving establishments, so I open carry, and it makes her uncomfortable.  I've gotten a few concerned looks from other restaurant patrons, but nobody has ever said anything.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 7:28:37 PM EDT
[#4]
It's always crazy - until you need it. The problem with most people is that they are victims of "magical thinking".

That crime will never happen to them, it only happens to others. It's the same reason people don't wear motorcycle helmets while riding or seatbelts when driving.

Link Posted: 12/29/2005 1:33:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoting myself here, but kinda need some back info.

My Mom got my Dad a gift card to take his CHL class for Christmas. Wierd huh!

Quoted:
The only family member that saw me 'printing' was my dad. He asked me if I had my CHL, yes, of course.  He said he might get his. I told him not to, because the previous nights discussion was how he failed to qualify with his 1911 in the Army (had to poke holes in the target with a pencil )

Anyway, I know the ones who would freak out and they will never find out

Link Posted: 12/29/2005 2:23:19 AM EDT
[#6]
I have that problem, even with my AR and carrying a knife in my house.  I hear a bump in the night and I go to check it out ( I usually just take my knife...  or my katana, lol) but my mom freaks all the time.  I can't CC yet and there's no handguns in my house but when she catches me scoping the house out with my knife in the middle of the night she leaves nasty letters telling me it makes her unsafe.  She thinks angels will protect her.  I'm strong in faith, but that is hogwash.  God is giving us opportunities to save ourselves by being able to bear arms.

I told her I'm her angel, lol, and plan to CC when I turn 21.  She keeps saying things like "Will I even be safe coming over to your house? Or will you shoot me thinking I'm a robber?"  Now, I'm not that paranoid, I hardly ever even bring my stuff out, my knife isn't carried on my person, it goes from my house, to my car, and never leaves either except to travel back and forth to one of those places.  I don't act all super sneaky or paranoid when I walk through the house, I just walk through casually, and turn the lights on before I enter each room - I don't ninja creep through or anything.  I've only done it a few times, as it has to be a PRETTY loud noise for me to even pay attention to it.  

Shows how ignorant she is about this stuff.  You don't know how many people in my family and friends are like her.  Ignorant.  I spend countless hours pointing out the facts about this stuff, it usually goes to waste, people believe what they want to believe.  I tell the people in my house if they don't want my protection I'll barracade myself in my room and won't show my AR15 until the burglar has had their way with them - I wonder how much they would mind having me arm myself then?  They've never had anything happen to them.  I've encountered fights, been burglarized, robbed, mugged, seen someone get shot and stabbed in my vicinity...  I don't take chances.

The only one I have on my side is an uncle that has an under the pillow gun - glock 17

I could care less, their arguements hold no basis except for the skepticism that nothing bad will ever happen to them, or if it does they'll call 911.  I retort with "Yep, I'm sure the "bad guy" is just going to break in, stand there while you call 911, wait till they pull up and enter, and then proceed to do all his attacking/molesting/burglarizing, I mean, that's what I would do if I was breaking into someones house with the intent to commit a crime..."

Want to know how a break in would go?  Listen to the beginning part of the Chin Check song by N.W.A., girl's crying on the phone freaked out someone's in the houes.  She's crying into the phone to the 911 operator, before she can even answer a few questions, SHRIEK, *BANG* ...hello?  miss?  are you there...  no?  Well, you should have been carrying...  

Link Posted: 12/29/2005 3:38:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Junkyard, I advise you not to tell your mother once you start to carry.

I'm sure you trust her, but since this obviously bothers her she may confide in someone else, and so on.   Before you know it someone outs you in a public situation, etc.  Maybe I'm being paranoid, but after all, this whole concept is about being cautious and having the upper hand.

Guns are like girls -- don't tell anybody about them unless you want everybody to know.

Also, please don't load that AR with FMJs unless you have brick external walls, and even then think about it.  I'm lucky enough to have thick brick all around.  Of course, my mossberg is my first resort.

ETA: Almost forgot to say -- My mom thinks I'm a nut for owning guns.  She comes from a pacificst Mennonite background and her entire family "hates" guns, except her dad who owned several rifles.  They just brush that fact off as he was a farmer and needed them.  

My dad is glad I arm myself.  He used to carry a pistol in his vehicle everywhere and still does some, but is too stubborn to get get licensed to do it.  My parents are funny in that way, complete opposites on so many issues.  But, they get along well.

My brother is into guns too but only my dad, my wife, and two close friends / fellow CHLs know that I carry.  There are other who probably implicitely know it, like my co-worker who shoots IDPA.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 1:15:35 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I'm still hiding my USP-C from her, and I take it with me every time I leave the house and she's still there.

Quoted:

I can't imagine how she'd react the first time I undress around her after I get my CCW permit.

Tsk tsk! :P
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 2:29:36 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I'm sure you trust her, but since this obviously bothers her she may confide in someone else, and so on.   Before you know it someone outs you in a public situation, etc.  Maybe I'm being paranoid, but after all, this whole concept is about being cautious and having the upper hand.

Guns are like girls -- don't tell anybody about them unless you want everybody to know.

Also, please don't load that AR with FMJs unless you have brick external walls, and even then think about it.  I'm lucky enough to have thick brick all around.  Of course, my mossberg is my first resort.

ETA: Almost forgot to say -- My mom thinks I'm a nut for owning guns.  She comes from a pacificst Mennonite background and her entire family "hates" guns, except her dad who owned several rifles.  They just brush that fact off as he was a farmer and needed them.  

My dad is glad I arm myself.  He used to carry a pistol in his vehicle everywhere and still does some, but is too stubborn to get get licensed to do it.  My parents are funny in that way, complete opposites on so many issues.  But, they get along well.

My brother is into guns too but only my dad, my wife, and two close friends / fellow CHLs know that I carry.  There are other who probably implicitely know it, like my co-worker who shoots IDPA.

Thanks for the advice
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 11:08:30 AM EDT
[#10]
I hear the dumbest shit from a friend when the topic of self defense and guns comes up. I say it's certainly a good idea to be armed because the world is full of the unknown possibilities. He says fuck that you don't need a gun, just kick their ass and when the fuck is anything ever going to happen to me!

goddamnit people are so ignorant!
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 4:35:57 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I changed my mother from being paranoid to letting me bake guns in her oven and even getting me gun stuff for Christmas. Now the only complaints I hear (not much since I stopped living there a few years ago though) are "I was trying to take a nap and all I hear is "chik-chuk chich-chuck" of guns racking " Seriously, they're women; they can be changed.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 4:45:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Well, I got the approval letter for my CCW last week, and am picking it up on the third  (damn county offices closed for the WHOLE week between holidays) and I can tell you this much.

Of the people I have told about my CCW, none have had any negative statements, or other concerns. Anyone I think MIGHT have an issue, I have not, and WILL NOT tell. Those are the people that will say something stupid at the wrong time, to the wrong people.

Family know and are all supportive.  Couple real close friends (like family), and a couple friends who are pro-gun.  My daughter knows, and we've already had the talk about the fact that she is not to mention it, nor talk to her friends about it, or question when or where I may (or may not ) be carrying.

To the people that it doesn't matter to, they will not be asking me if I am or not, (cause if it's concealed it doesn't matter ...right?) and as for those that may not like it... they won't know... casue it'll be concealed... right?

Be safe.

No Expert
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 4:58:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Most of my friends and family think I am strange on many levels. The guns are just one of them.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 8:08:54 PM EDT
[#14]
I think my dad is more paranoid about the legal stuff that'll happen IF I use it.  My whole family owns a TON of guns.  My dad instructs a karate class and naturally, that stuff ALWAYS works, because you don't always have your gun on you.  He said that until I moved my jacket and showed him. LOL  No complaints after that.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 6:39:47 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Most of my friends and family think I am strange on many levels. The guns are just one of them.

+1 Same here, most people think I'm crazy anyway plus I carry a gun.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 6:48:08 PM EDT
[#16]
yeah  I know this chick who is like this, had a teacher to.  The chick accidently hit my car with hers after we had this talk in the class room.....can't stand people like that.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 6:59:37 PM EDT
[#17]
My mom's scared shitless of firearms.  She about codes on me when I visit and say "hold this a sec" handing her my fanny pack  

OTOH, my dad probably carries in the can.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 7:21:36 PM EDT
[#18]
I try not to let anyone know that I carry. I think it's just best if no one knows. Hopefully you'll never need it or a seat-belt either.........
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 9:51:23 PM EDT
[#19]
The only person that thinks its rediculous for me to carry a gun is my *WIFE*.  My side of the family, her side of the family could care less and alot of them think its a good idea......she however is anti.

Some of them dont understand why I carry with one in the chamber.  

I dont hide the fact I carry a gun (from my family) and when someone wants to see it I will gladly show them some quick gun safety and let them handle it - my kids including.  Everyone darn near craps themselves when you clear the weapon and a round pops out......jeez people, what do you expect?

If anyone wants to comment on me showing a gun to my kids feel free, I however will ignore you.  I feel the best way to remove the curiosity of a gun is to let anyone curious handle it - safely - anytime they want.  Handling an unloaded gun, in a safe manner with someone watching over you is not that great of a time and the fun factor will wear off in about 2 whole days........problem solved.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 9:56:29 PM EDT
[#20]

\\If anyone wants to comment on me showing a gun to my kids feel free, I however will ignore you.  I feel the best way to remove the curiosity of a gun is to let anyone curious handle it - safely - anytime they want.  Handling an unloaded gun, in a safe manner with someone watching over you is not that great of a time and the fun factor will wear off in about 2 whole days........problem solved.

I wouldn't have it any other way, personally.  Good for you for teaching your children how to be safe with a firearm.  The only way to prevent accidents is to educate.  You may very well have saved the lives of your children and/or their friends by doing it.  How many kids these days find daddy's gun, don't know how to use it, and blow someone's head off just screwing around?  Props to you.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 8:37:16 AM EDT
[#21]
No one cares in my family.  I know Grandma would, but what she doesn't know won't hurt her.  

Most of my friends don't know.  Only a couple have ever asked about it.  
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 11:57:21 AM EDT
[#22]

If anyone wants to comment on me showing a gun to my kids feel free, I however will ignore you.  I feel the best way to remove the curiosity of a gun is to let anyone curious handle it - safely - anytime they want.  Handling an unloaded gun, in a safe manner with someone watching over you is not that great of a time and the fun factor will wear off in about 2 whole days........problem solved.

That's the same thing my father did. With alcohol as well. Took all the mystery out of it, and made it no "fun".  I plan on doing the same with my children, when I have some that is.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 12:08:07 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

That's the same thing my father did. With alcohol as well. Took all the mystery out of it, and made it no "fun".  I plan on doing the same with my children, when I have some that is.

He let you handle guns while drinking alcohol when you were kid?  
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 12:09:11 PM EDT
[#24]
All relatives think I'm a "gun nut".  I am willing to bet that if SHTF, I would be the first house they stop at to get a gun!!!
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 4:20:38 PM EDT
[#25]
I've had CCW for about a year now, but have always carried a gun in my truck. The only people who know I carry all the time are my wife and dad. (Dad has always carried a gun and talked me into it.) I figure the fewer people who know, the better.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 11:06:55 PM EDT
[#26]
This is a great topic.... today I carried for the first time (got my permit on the 3rd) and I went over to my sister's house & she knows I got the permit..showed it to her cause it's a crappy looking thing....(looks like something a high schooler would make) and she didn't ask IF I was carrying at the time, and I never said I was or wasn't. A family friend was there working on installing a new gas line for her new stove.... he had no idea, no reason to suspect and it WAS concealed. Then my daughter and I went shopping at Dunham's (sporting goods) to check on Yugo SKS' they had on sale. No concerns walking around.

I had made sure to remiind my daughter of the rules...and once we got out of the house...it was off her mind. (out of sight and all)

The best part, is when we got home. I kept the gun on, after taking off the light jacket and vest I had been wearing (weather was warm), wife got home an hour or so later from work.... and I was talking to her for more than 20 minutes before she even realized I WAS WEARING IT!  And only after I made a comment about it off-handedly. It was priceless!  
Had I been wearing a black t shirt instead of a white one, she may never have noticed it.  I can say I honestly believe that 99% of the people will be oblivious, just keep your mouth shut.

No Expert
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 8:51:00 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
The only person that thinks its rediculous for me to carry a gun is my *WIFE*.  My side of the family, her side of the family could care less and alot of them think its a good idea......she however is anti.

Some of them dont understand why I carry with one in the chamber.  

I dont hide the fact I carry a gun (from my family) and when someone wants to see it I will gladly show them some quick gun safety and let them handle it - my kids including.  Everyone darn near craps themselves when you clear the weapon and a round pops out......jeez people, what do you expect?

I take my 6-1/2 year old son to the range once a month or so to shoot *his* Walther P22, which fits his hand just about perfect.  He can recite the 4 cardinal rules of gun safety, and he's been "Eddie Eagle-ified" such that if he ever found a gun at someone elses house, he would never touch it, he'd tell an adult.  

We Pro-gunners with kids need to realize that we are sculpting the next generation of 2nd Ammendment defenders, and as such, we should start early with them.  My wife thinks it's great that my son and I have a "Father/Son Activity" that we can go do every so often, and has no issues whatsoever with him safely handling unloaded firearms in the house.  
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 3:03:03 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

No bad comments here, teaching is the best way My 3 year old "plays bullets" in other words she hands me the rounds to load the magazines. She has learned what the bullet is, the case, and the primer. She also know that she must wash her hands afterward. When we were visiting my parents she asked my mom if she had any magazines to load and when my mother said they had one my daughter said only one, in a puzzled voice. My moms only comment was as long as she knows saftey. I eagerly look foward to the day she is old enough to actually teach to shoot, and by then firearms saftey will be second nature.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 3:18:09 PM EDT
[#29]
I have carried since I was 18(legally).  The ONE time I took my gun off, I was in an armed robbery not 2 minutes after I unholstered.  Don't like me carrying?  Fuck you.

They're even within our ranks.  It's legal to carry a loaded carbine where I live, and some numb cunt from here saw a well-known Arfcom friend of mine and I leaving a gun store carrying a carbine "tactically", whatever the hell that means.  His pussy was so sore over this it was unbelievable.  GET OVER IT.  It's legal, and I'll be damned if I'll restrict my liberty just to salve some soccer family's feelings.

The world is full of never-beens who are so pussified that they don't even know what they don't know.  Oddly enough, some of those people own guns.  Still odder, some of them own EBRs.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 5:18:41 PM EDT
[#30]
Whoa dude!  Legal to carry carbine, seriously?   What state is that?
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 6:36:20 PM EDT
[#31]
My wife doesn't like the idea of me carrying with a CHL, but she doesn't mind if I become a LEO.  Go figure.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 8:13:27 PM EDT
[#32]
From what I understand of Virginia law, rifles with magazines up to 20 rounds are legal to open carry, or with 30 round magazines if you have a CHP.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 5:28:09 AM EDT
[#33]
It's technically legal to carry any long gun around Texas, but if they decide you're carrying it in an alarming manner they can hit you with disturbing the peace or something like that.

A lot of folks keep loaded carbines in their trucks around here.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 8:15:21 AM EDT
[#34]
My wife thinks I'm crazy for getting my FL non-resident CCW (so I can carry in PA).  Figures, as she thinks it's a extremely good idea to keep guns around the house...

Just doesn't make sense, does it...
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 8:37:43 AM EDT
[#35]
no family & friends think i'm crazy for owning guns. just a lil' crazy for carrying everywhere i go even at home. way i see it, one never who all will be coming to their door!
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 6:38:16 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
My wife thinks I'm crazy for getting my FL non-resident CCW (so I can carry in PA).  Figures, as she thinks it's a extremely good idea to keep guns around the house...

You can actually get a PA permit from the Centre County Sheriff's Office.  Packing.org has the details.  It only costs $20, and they mailed it to me a week after I sent them my application.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 7:22:02 PM EDT
[#37]
My mother, I am 17 year vet, work for a major LE Agency and yet she freaks out when I have a gun on me.  I never let her know about the AR15  1000rd 5.56, and 5 spare mags for my pistol that are in the carIf my eyes are open I have a weapon on person, if they are shut I have 4 within reach.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 6:54:11 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You can actually get a PA permit from the Centre County Sheriff's Office.  Packing.org has the details.  It only costs $20, and they mailed it to me a week after I sent them my application.

Wha?  I thought PA wouldn't give a non-resident permit unless you already have a permit***, so I figured the FL was the way to go...I'll look on packing.org, thanks for the info.

Ok, I'm back from Packing.org with this link county.centreconnect.org/sheriff/license_application.htm

Isn't this only for Centre county, or would this apply to ALL PA counties?  Would states that have reciprocity with PA be good to go in?  I might still get my FL permit just to double up, but this isn't looking half bad.

***According to Packing.org, "(e) Issuance of license.

[(1) A license to carry a firearm shall be for the purpose of carrying a firearm concealed on or about one’s person or in a vehicle and shall be issued if, after an investigation not to exceed 45 days, it appears that the applicant is an individual concerning whom no good cause exists to deny the license. A license shall not be issued to any of the following:

(ix) A resident of another state who does not possess a current license or permit or similar document to carry a firearm issued by that state if a license is provided for by the laws of that state, as published annually in the Federal Register by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms of the Department of the Treasury under 18 U.S.C. §921(a)(19) (relating to definitions)."

Unfortunately, NJ does have permits, it just refuses to issue them under normal circumstances.  According to the above paragraph that would mean they wouldn't issue me a permit....  I may call them just to find out anyway...

FL will, though .
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 9:17:18 AM EDT
[#39]
I e-mailed Sheriff Nau of Centre County, PA, and he informed me that unfortunately NJ has been ruled an issue state and therefore I'd need a NJ carry permit before I can be issued a PA non-resident permit.  He did, however, understand the NJ CCWs were "near impossible" to get.  Oh well, looks like a FL non-resident for me!
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 12:45:47 PM EDT
[#40]
I'd recomend getting the FL. I'm glad I did. Once upon a time I wanted to get the PA one as my brother-in-law had a house in the Pocono's. I never did, but from what you said I wouldn't have gotten it. Now the whole problem of having to have a NJ permit first is moot!
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 1:01:17 PM EDT
[#41]
My family knows I own a few guns.  I even thought they were listening when I mentioned signing up to take the AZ CCW course.  They must not have been though since my parents about had a cardiac when they realized after ranting for about a hour to me about how no one really needs to carry a gun except LEOs that I actually had one on (had to lock it in the car to enter the hospital to visit a family friend).

My in-laws are a different story.  They don't mind that my wife and I own guns and both of us carry.  They just don't have any desire to own guns of their own and prefer to rely on some really big dogs to protect their house.  
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 5:03:25 PM EDT
[#42]
I grew up in Canada where it is both illegal and unheard of to carry a gun.  My wife used to give me a little grief "why do you have to carry it, etc.".  Then we were attacked by a road rager (guy was found guilty of criminal threatening by a judge but acquitted by a jury) and she hasn't said a peep since.  She also knows how to shoot her 'house gun', a Ruger GP100 .357 magnum.

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top