Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/15/2010 9:27:15 AM EDT
Some Beretta Neos pistols are being recalled due to problems with the safety.  Go to this web site and enter your serial number to see if your pistol is affected.  Full return instructions are included.
http://www.berettasupport.com/neos/
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 12:28:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: strat81] [#1]
Thanks for posting this, I'll have to check my wife's pistol.

Mods, could this get tacked for a couple of weeks?

ETA 9/16 - I checked the Beretta website yesterday and my wife's pistol is affected.  I filled out the form on their website.  Today, I had a message on my machine from UPS saying they'd be by today to pick up the gun.  I found a box, put the pistol in the hard case along with a note with my address stating to fix the recall issue and to repair the rear sight that constantly falls apart, sealed it, and gave it to the UPS driver who stopped by at 5:30pm to pick it up.  It was a two day label, so they should have it by Monday morning.

ETA 9/24 - I just received an e-mail from UPS that the pistol is being shipped back today via 2-day air.

ETA 9/28 - UPS came with my wife's pistol.  Everything looks okay.  The firing pin has been replaced.  I'm not sure if they repaired or replaced the rear sight.  I guess I'll find out next time I go shooting.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 8:14:00 PM EDT
[#2]
I havn't heard of anyone having problems and don't really get how the problem is happening. I wan't to actually see what changes they made before I send my gun in.
Link Posted: 9/16/2010 10:33:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/16/2010 10:37:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By X02Wyvern:
I havn't heard of anyone having problems and don't really get how the problem is happening. I wan't to actually see what changes they made before I send my gun in.

The problem is in the shape of the firing pin.  If you look at the website mentioned it shows pictures of the "before" and "after" firing pin.
Link Posted: 9/16/2010 9:35:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Locoweed:
Originally Posted By X02Wyvern:

The problem is in the shape of the firing pin.  If you look at the website mentioned it shows pictures of the "before" and "after" firing pin.

but as far as i can tell, the change to the firing pin has no effect on how the safety works. the safty in the gun keeps the sear from dropping and releasing the striker.
Link Posted: 9/17/2010 10:10:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: coyotesilencer] [#6]
Mine is affected by the recall, dang it has been extremely reliable for tens of thousands of rounds. I hope there "fix" does not change how well this this thing has ran for the past many years.

ETA: Just got my tracking number, it took less than 2 weeks, not the 6 that they said it would. But my rear sight is broken, contacting them now.

They replaced the firing pin, the sear and the firing pin housing.
Link Posted: 9/17/2010 10:19:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Locoweed:
Some Beretta Neos pistols are being recalled due to problems with the safety.  Go to this web site and enter your serial number to see if your pistol is affected.  Full return instructions are included.
http://www.berettasupport.com/neos/

I thought the recall was going to be because the pistols were found to be too ugly.
Link Posted: 9/26/2010 9:34:04 PM EDT
[#8]
wow. i didnt even realize there was a recall. i was just trolling through random threads and came across this post. looks like my NEOS will be going out in the mail tomorrow.

once again the gentleman in ARFCOM come through!!!
Link Posted: 11/26/2010 10:54:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By squirrelslayer1:
I thought the recall was going to be because the pistols were found to be too ugly.

You don't like the Nintendo zapper looks?

Mine's apparently defective too.  I'm debating sending it in though.  I don't carry this thing cocked and locked, I don't intend to hunt with it, and the only time there's a round in the chamber is when the gun is pointed downrange and I'm ready to shoot stuff.  I don't think I've even ever operated the safety other than function checks after cleaning.

Now if they'd just send me a kit to fix it and not have me send in the whole gun, that would be a different story.  I just don't like the idea of a firearm registered in my name being out of my control like that or that long.

Link Posted: 12/15/2010 1:37:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Hmm, I don't beleive I've ever put the safety on except to function check after cleaning it.
Link Posted: 1/27/2011 2:34:47 PM EDT
[#11]
I sent my NEOS in on 12/01/2010 and got it back today.  Hardest part was getting it picked up and delivered by UPS.
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 2:33:28 AM EDT
[#12]
Mine is covered by the recall but I ain't gonna send it in. I just don't feel like doing it and from what I can tell this "problem" isn't really a problem.
Link Posted: 8/26/2011 6:30:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Just saw this thread, I gave my NEOS to my brother as a graduation present a while back, and have a couple of friends that still own a NEOS that i'll let know about the recall.
Link Posted: 10/14/2011 11:22:41 PM EDT
[#14]
I just bought one today.

It was shipped after the problem was found so it's OK.
Link Posted: 12/16/2011 11:26:43 PM EDT
[#15]
I just got mine back and I'm really unhappy. Before I sent it, the trigger was respectable. Now it is gritty and drags. I'm complaining to Beretta about it, but I have a few questions.

Is this a common complaint?

Does anyone know what they actually changed on the pistol besides the firing pin?

I notice that the firing pin actually moves backwards before it releases now. I don't recall that was the case before. Does anyone have an unmodified one to check that function for me.
Link Posted: 1/1/2012 9:26:05 PM EDT
[#16]
This is what I noticed was broken...and why it needs to be fixed.
When the pistol is on SAFE and then the slide is pulled back (it only goes maybe half an inch) and released...it cocks the firing pin (though, not all the way, and there is no indication). When you release the safe (put onto fire), it releases the firing pin without you having to touch the trigger. I was able to replicate this every time. Now...I don't know if the firing pin has enough force at that point to actually fire a round in the chamber (how did you get one in there without cocking it anyhow??)...but i suspect that *MIGHT* be the problem. If you do this, use a light to look at the firing pin/cocked indicator hold in the back and then put it on FIRE and you'll notice it move forward, you'll also hear the "click" you would get when actually firing it.

I decided that this was kinda lame and would send it into beretta. Though UPS dosen't seem to like to come by until 6:30 around here so on Friday...I was outta luck as I had a function to get too...
They left the shipping tag at the door so I hope they come back tomorrow and get it.
Link Posted: 2/28/2012 9:03:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Martini:
I just got mine back and I'm really unhappy. Before I sent it, the trigger was respectable. Now it is gritty and drags. I'm complaining to Beretta about it, but I have a few questions.

Is this a common complaint?

Does anyone know what they actually changed on the pistol besides the firing pin?

I notice that the firing pin actually moves backwards before it releases now. I don't recall that was the case before. Does anyone have an unmodified one to check that function for me.

I just bought a used 6 inch barreled one, it's unmodified and according to Beretta's website, it needs to be sent in. Has the small red dot on the back.

As for the firing pin moving BACKWARDs, mine does not.

Does anyone else regret sending theirs in or had a malfunction like Beretta describes?
Link Posted: 5/31/2012 11:50:32 AM EDT
[#18]
just saw this and check my neo. the serial isnt listed as bad on the website but mine has the old firing pin and indicator. im not sending it in, i havent had any problems with it over the past 8 years. also i just saw this on the neo wiki page "As of January 2011 there is a three month delay in return of recalled pistols"
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 11:09:56 PM EDT
[#19]
I would not send it back for the recall. I sent mine back and the sear came back rougher than a corn cob. I'm not a sear snob, the work was crap.. I sent it back and it came back worse. I wish I had never dealt with them. I would rather rely on keeping the gun pointed in a safe direction than to have their fix.
Link Posted: 2/20/2013 8:35:51 PM EDT
[#20]
Mine is affected by this recall...  Not sure if I want to send it after reading this. I have thousands of tours through it no problems
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top