Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Pets
Posted: 1/31/2023 5:44:07 PM EDT
a year and a half ago we lost our Black lab Gunner (10 years old) he was trained on SAR and wounded deer tracking.

took us this long not to replace him, but to invest the time and love into another family member.  we got him the 1st of the year and he is now 15 weeks and 28 pounds. his temperament is outstanding and he is a very quick learner. I need to give him a mission in life that he enjoys that would benefit us and others. I'm open to suggestions at this point. I am retired and spend every day with him so training time is available.

meet Jack.... Male Golden Retriever

Link Posted: 1/31/2023 5:48:43 PM EDT
[#1]
That there is a Tier 1 dog.  

We are actively looking for a rescue Golden if we can find one, but all the ones on Petfinder look suspiciously like pit bulls.  
Link Posted: 1/31/2023 6:13:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: LJUnaTIC] [#2]
Get started immediately with basic obedience and basic field retriever training. Expect rapid advancement. I found a local obedience oriented group was the easiest way to get you both off to a good start
Link Posted: 1/31/2023 6:21:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Grab any one of the books written by Richard A. Wolters,  I trained my first Lab for field trials over 40 years ago and still use the knowledge from Wolters' books as the basis for all my training still to this day.
Link Posted: 1/31/2023 6:52:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: gunwolf] [#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By WWolfe:
That there is a Tier 1 dog.  

We are actively looking for a rescue Golden if we can find one, but all the ones on Petfinder look suspiciously like pit bulls.  
View Quote

we actually drove from Spartanburg to just outside Florence to get him...5 hrs round trip... we have been looking for a while. and yes even here the rescues are almost always pit mixed. we do have one rescue, and one save also... I have a carolina dog(dixie dingo) that my daughter found at 3 months old all dirty and beat up... two years later she still has a slight feral side but is a great dog.
Link Posted: 1/31/2023 7:09:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Wounded deer tracking is always good.   Too few around here, probably everywhere.
Link Posted: 1/31/2023 7:17:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By brian1:
Wounded deer tracking is always good.   Too few around here, probably everywhere.
View Quote

I agree, I moved from WNY to SC 7 years ago... up north there is a shortage. I was a Bow hunter and back in the day had to call the deer trackers a few times.. cost me so much that when I got my lab and saw his nose led him... it was easy to train him. I would only let him track for friends and family...
Page General » Pets
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top